What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jungle Cruise -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had seen the trailer for Jungle Cruise, and was prepared to dislike it.

While Emily Blunt is a talent, and in this film, great fun to watch, I've never been a fan of Mr. Johnson's work, although the fact that his films make money cannot be denied.

As I watched it, it was obvious that the basic storyline had ended up far from the Disney theme park ride. Theme park rides, like video games are creatures of a different type when they become films, and while some can work out nicely - think those pirate pictures, others are less fortunate.

I was thinking the obvious - The African Queen, especially with the connection to the Germans during the Great War, but also the likes of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (now owned by Disney) as well as Pandora and the Flying Dutchman. It's seems that those behind the story and screenplay have a knowledge and appreciated of cinema's past.

As a 4k UHD disc with HDR, and with a track in Dolby Atmos - which pin-points certain aspects of the track around you - it's a rather gorgeous affair. Shot digitally, and with all of its effects, including some less than stellar animals nicely layered in, it all works nicely.

Production design is meticulous and beautiful.

So in the end, I'm please that I gave it a try.

I should also mention that yesterday was my annual home theater checkup, with the incomparable Kevin Miller re-calibrating my gear and adding the latest firmware updates to the JVC projector, which now handled HDR on a frame by frame basis. It's a major upgrade.

I also had my Sony OLED checked, and learned that Sony, like LG, so do not have automatic switching in their software for Dolby Vision and HDR.

What this means, is that when Dolby Vision programming is detected, while the set goes into hyper-brightness mode, it does not affect the overall picture mode, which leaves the basic setup ready, willing and able to make the likes of The Voice look its best.

This does not help 4k / HDR / DV programming however, and seems a rather stupid oversight.

After the re-cal, I also double-checked Kane, and found no increase in quality.

But for Jungle Cruise, which has been meticulously taken to 4k UHD Blu-ray, the new firmware does it thing, adding to a magnificent presentation, with gorgeous color, rich detail and great blacks.

Bottom line, Jungle Cruise is a nice way to spend a couple of hours, during which you don't need to think. But it makes me miss the likes of Robert Bolt.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I saw the blu-ray a few days ago, quite enjoyable, but I'm probably 55 years too old to really enjoy it. One thing though, it does look beautiful, downright stunning. If it was shot digitally, then I think you could say they they've got the hang of it. I have read some criticism about the effects, but they all looked great to me, I thought the London stuff (Piccadilly Circus) looked amazing, & seemed real enough.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I enjoyed this movie more than I expected to; it is just a fun popcorn movie. There were enough nods to the Disneyland ride that I was satisfied. I am glad they gave Emily lots of action moments, I think she does that stuff very well (loved her in Live Die Repeat for that reason).

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I should also mention that yesterday was my annual home theater checkup, with the incomparable Kevin Miller re-calibrating my gear and adding the latest firmware updates to the JVC projector, which now handled HDR on a frame by frame basis. It's a major upgrade.

After the re-cal, I also double-checked Kane, and found no increase in quality.

But for Jungle Cruise, which has been meticulously taken to 4k UHD Blu-ray, the new firmware does it thing, adding to a magnificent presentation, with gorgeous color, rich detail and great blacks.

RAH
Welcome to the wonderful world of 3.50/3.52! It makes a world of difference. I'm glad that you were finally able to get it updated and recalibrated. Enjoy!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With extremely limited international exceptions, Disney no longer supports 3D on disc.

The only present exception is Marvel Studios films which are still receiving Japanese releases as part of 4K UHD combo packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks