What's new

Glee (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Wow. This went downhill fast. Acafellas was terrible. The songs,and their choreography, uninspired. And the storylines - good god - insipid.

Another hour cleared off my viewing schedule.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

I don't mean this in any cruel way, but do you see a strange parallel to what you just wrote, and the negative comments posted by other members in the various LOST season threads? I can quote numerous posts where you literally rolled your eyes (via the smiley, of course) at such comments, and then proceeded to question people who would so-easily dismiss a show/overly-critique it/et cetera.

I just find it odd that you, who so vehemenantly defended LOST (rightly so), making comments to the tune of "the show has a larger story to tell, give it time," (not a direct quote), would then easily drop a show like Glee only three episodes in, as well as complain about BSG's ending/final eps being poor (as well as saying there was no "plan" on behalf of the Moore and crew).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What a show!

I'd heard a little about Glee and thought it would cut from the cloth of "The Office" -- a comedy style I don't enjoy. But I caught the pilot rerun by accident, couldn't even watch it start to stop, but was mezmerized. This is that show, there's maybe on per year at best, that gives me chills and fills me with the wonder of modern entertainment. The lynchpin, of course, was "Don't Stop Believin'". As an 80s-kid it was heartstopping.

Completely baffled by the show's "season", I stumbled on its start while on vacation and caught most of the 2nd episode in a hotel. Back home, finally, it's on the Tivo, I've watched all the missing bits on Hulu, and saw Episode 3 proper.

I really enjoy the show. I love how it uses music; it's a style that's done infrequently (most notable to me, Scrubs) weaving in-context music with the action around it. And Glee does it not as a one-off gag, but as its structure.

I'm now one of the multitude that bought "Don't Stop Believin'" from iTunes and look forward to the next episode.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If you're a die-hard fan, head over to Great Clips; they are sponsoring a contest/tie-in with Glee and have free character magnets as give-aways!

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I have all the songs that have become available on itunes from the show. LOVE IT! My favorites so far are Gold digger and Don't Stop Believin. I wish On My Own was available.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just checked. On My Own is available. I think it was only available as a free video clip from the show, but not it looks like it is a straight up song.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just in case: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=327470488&s=143441

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Josh Dial You can rest assured I took no cruelty from your post. In fact, I am somewhat flattered.

I stand by my stance on all the shows you have listed. Lost deserved defending because the writing was always there and an overarching story arc was always in play. BSG lost its way from 3.5 to 4.5 and the hurried rush to a dissatisfying finale, in my opinion again of course, is the proof I submit to back up my viewpoint.

Glee has all the story telling depth of a potato chip and does not need or require any in-depth analysis. I may check it out from time to time if I hear about a great song/dance routine but the story lines, as they currently exist, hold no interest.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma You can rest assured I took no cruelty from your post. In fact, I am somewhat flattered.

I stand by my stance on all the shows you have listed. Lost deserved defending because the writing was always there and an overarching story arc was always in play. BSG lost its way from 3.5 to 4.5 and the hurried rush to a dissatisfying finale, in my opinion again of course, is the proof I submit to back up my viewpoint.

Glee has all the story telling depth of a potato chip and does not need or require any in-depth analysis. I may check it out from time to time if I hear about a great song/dance routine but the story lines, as they currently exist, hold no interest.
Fair enough. I appreciate the clarification :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought tonight's episode rebounded nicely from last week's episode. I have to finally join, though, and admit that Will's wife is pure evil. Elsewhere, the show was really firing on all cylinders. I particularly enjoyed Mike O'Malley's performance, so different than those infuriating Time Warner Cable commericals. On the surface, he's the stereotypical distant working-class TV father but there were a few moments including the scene at the end where its made clear that he's grappling with a lot more than actually comes out of his mouth. And "I wish your mother would have been there -- you know, alive" has to be my favorite line of the night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought tonight's episode rebounded nicely from last week's episode. I have to finally join, though, and admit that Will's wife is pure evil. Elsewhere, the show was really firing on all cylinders. I particularly enjoyed Mike O'Malley's performance, so different than those infuriating Time Warner Cable commericals. On the surface, he's the stereotypical distant working-class TV father but there were a few moments including the scene at the end where its made clear that he's grappling with a lot more than actually comes out of his mouth. And "I wish your mother would have been there -- you know, alive" has to be my favorite line of the night.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really liked tonight's episode. In particular, I also like how the show isn't as formulaic as I assumed it was going to be. Not every episode ends with a "big song," and I appreciate that. Further, it was refreshing for not *every* storyline (gay, teen pregnancy) to drag out over mroe than one episode. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the "father" storyline is resolved sooner-than-later, leaving only the hysterical pregnancy story.

My only complaint is that I wanted to see more of the "Maria" performance (maybe on a later episode?).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show brings out laughter from me, so I'm in for the long haul. There are touches of poignancy that are rare in our current TV landscape, and when the show swings for the fences, it rarely misses.

stake038

Auditioning
Real Name
stake
I also watch some episodes of this show. but i really enjoyed with pilot show last night.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Last nights episode was by far the best episode of the show. The opening of the show was just great! Curt singing single ladies and being caught by his father, the football players singing single ladies during the game and curt coming out to his father were all great scenes. I love how shows can make it's viewers get so involved and actually feel sad, anxious or heartbroken right along with the characters. When Curt came out to his father I was so nervous for him. When Noah walked away at the end of the game sad and defeated, I felt defeated with him.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Yeah, I agree Josh, Joe's complaint about too much singing and dancing is weird. Joe, whatever you do, don't rent Moulin Rouge!
I loved Moulin Rouge! It was what I expected. I thought Glee would have more comedy/drama with some singing and dancing.
But I'll do the right thing and post no more about Glee, and leave to those of you who enjoy the program.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This week's episode was the weakest so far, for me. The first half felt uneven, but it came together in the second half for another strong episode.

I missed the strong song & dance numbers; lip syncing to pop songs doesn't do much for me.

And that's how I "C" it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks