What's new

Glee (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Quote:
I missed the strong song & dance numbers; lip syncing to pop songs doesn't do much for me.

I gather you missed Tina's rendition of "Tonight" from West Side Story.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Josh Dial ">[/url]

I really liked tonight's episode. In particular, I also like how the show isn't as formulaic as I assumed it was going to be. Not every episode ends with a "big song," and I appreciate that.
[/QUOTE]Aww... but that's what I [i]want[/i]. And Lea Michele only sang for 30 seconds. That makes me sad. [img]http://home.comcast.net/~hanson68/caps/fryfinn.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

And while I tried my best to suspend my disbelief over the football scenes, that was some of the worst depiction of how football is played I've ever seen, only rivaled in its lack of understanding by the various depictions of how hackers work. If Finn wants a college scholarship, maybe he should convert from QB to linebacker or safety, because that WMHS defense is pretty damn good considering they held the opponents to 2 field goals after giving up umpteen sacks (they really should learn how to hand-off every now and then). It also felt very contrived --the whole plotline seemed to have been reversed engineered from the premise, "the football team is performing Single Ladies on the field". Most of the circumstances of how they got there made little sense -- why would dancing help them? Why did the other players submit? Why specifically Single Ladies? Lots of "huh?" moments in there.
I had the same issues. Even if somehow you could convince a team of football players to dance to Beyonce, there's no way any football official would allow that dance number to take place during a game (though I didn't see any referees on that football field...another unbelievable item). And there's also no way that Kurt would have the time to do his little dance and kick the ball before the defense blocked the kick and/or drove him into the ground.

"Glee" seems to be more fantasy than any sort of realistic depiction of high school.

I'm also officially sick to death of "Single Ladies," though I never much liked it in the first place. Bad song, silly video. Why it's treated as such a phenomenon escapes me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell Or an unexpected thing. It's been fantastic from the start. And it follows other quasi-realistic dramas, like Boston Public or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I believe the key is for the emotions to resonate and to feel true. Which they did through the main plot of the boy striving to impress and fit in with his dad.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: The football scenes.

Since when have musicals ever concerned themselves with realism? I am sorry, but I believe expectations of conformance to reality are misplaced with a show like Glee.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree, Walter. I treat the entire show like I would a stage musical--the musical/dance numbers are to be taken completely out of context, even if the dialogue preceeding or following references those very routines.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

Re: The football scenes.

Since when have musicals ever concerned themselves with realism? I am sorry, but I believe expectations of conformance to reality are misplaced with a show like Glee.
It was only an issue because I'm a huge football fanatic. Imagine of they had a home theater plotline and they used a VCR? Wouldn't that bother you even though it's not realistic? Hmm?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hanson:
I admit, I kept thinking about how many penalties they'd get for illegal man in motion calls, etc.. but I give it a pass :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Hanson - Technical miscues bother me if the genre presents itself as realistic; but for musicals as long as the events themselves work within the context of the storyline, then I do not have any expectations regarding realism. So no, a VCR would not bother me, if it serves the aesthetic of the presentation. WALL-E was one of my favorite films from last year and it featured a VCR.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of Kristin Chenoweth, because her high-pitched speaking voice really grates on me. But she is undeniably one of the great voices of our time, and probably the only one brave enough to take on such a classless role. She was made for a role like this, which both showcased her incredible versatility and total commitment to a role. One thing I love about the show is how seriously it takes the music, even when they don't have time to completely nail the lip sync. Anyone who cares about show tunes should consider Chenoweth a huge "get." Just a top notch episode, with the focus back on the music where it should be.

This episode also proved they could do nearly an entire hour without Sue Sylvester and still be great.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yup, even with the quick build-up of the April storyline, interspersing the ongoing plotlines with the musical song performance makes for one of the quickest hours on TV this season. Really enjoyed the last number of the episode, and also the songs performed by Kristin Chenoweth (though her first number was directed a tad too off-putting with the intercutting with Rachel).

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Television is suppose to be a way to escape from reality. So if things don't seem like they fit or shouldn't happen the way they did, I can get past that. I enjoy Glee. I love that they brought in Kristen Chenoweth for this one role. She was fabulous.So far I have not been disappointed in anything she has done in her career. I could listen to her sing anything, anytime.

Glee is quickly becoming my favorite show. I must say that even though I enjoy the storylines, I really watch this show to see/hear the musical numbers. I get excited for tomorrow to come so I can see if they are available for download on itunes.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So much Lea Michele! Then you throw in Chenoweth! Loved it! I had a huge smile on my face through all the musical numbers, and I will be rewatching this episode for sure.

Gotta say that after getting accustomed to the glacial pace of most hour longs, Glee moves like a mutha. Plot lines that appear to be season long arcs resolve themselves in the stretch of one episode. It's a bit jarring, but only because it goes by so fast. I'll get used to it -- it's actually pretty awesome. It has the kind of pace that invites multiple viewings.

Small quibble -- Rachel leaves and there isn't anyone to step into the soloist spot. Uhh... what about Mercedes? Her voice ain't no chopped liver. Kind of lacks internal logic there.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Kristen Chenoweth was just amazing in this episode. I hope that this is not the last we've seen of April Rhodes.

I also like the way the Rachel and Finn relationship is developing. I wonder how long the writers will be able to keep them apart. Eventually the truth of Quinn's pregnancy is bound to come out. I can't see Puck keeping his mouth shut.

And Kurt's first hangover was a comedy gem. The look on Emma's face!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Really enjoyed the last number of the episode, and also the songs performed by Kristin Chenoweth (though her first number was directed a tad too off-putting with the intercutting with Rachel).
I loved the pseudo-duet--how it was April singing "Maybe This Time" with a defiant attitude, and Rachel singing more hopeful and sweet.

Once again, the show delivered in the technical area (lip-syncing aside), with great lighting and direction. Speaking of lip-syncing, I can totally forgive them, seeing as how not only are the artists singing anyway, but I'm certain they are sync'd to the itunes tracks (though truncated, of course), and people want to be able to buy what they heard on TV.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Emma got the "full Silkwood".

I have to believe that at the breakneck pace things resolve in Glee land, the identity of the baby-daddy and the Finn/Rachel relationship will be resolved soon -- like, the next episode.

One thing I most have trouble keeping straight in my head is that Rachel is supposed to be irritating and unpopular. But I love Lea Michele -- she's so magnetic and spectacular that this just doesn't come across for me. It's less like Charlize Theron as Eileen Wuornos and more like Rachael Leigh Cook as the supposed ugly duckling social outcast in She's All That. In her romantic scenes with Finn, Rachel is eminently desirable. And the way she plays the character, she just seems quirky, not difficult.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Small quibble -- Rachel leaves and there isn't anyone to step into the soloist spot. Uhh... what about Mercedes? Her voice ain't no chopped liver. Kind of lacks internal logic there.
Made sense to me. Tina is shy and unsure of herself. Even though Mercedes has the talent, I don't think her character can handle the pressure of being the main star of the group.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I have to believe that at the breakneck pace things resolve in Glee land, the identity of the baby-daddy and the Finn/Rachel relationship will be resolved soon -- like, the next episode.
Going by the preview for next's week episode, some sort of shit will be hitting the fan - though, I don't think Finn will be learning the truth about Quick & Puck just yet.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Once again, the show delivered in the technical area (lip-syncing aside), with great lighting and direction. Speaking of lip-syncing, I can totally forgive them, seeing as how not only are the artists singing anyway, but I'm certain they are sync'd to the itunes tracks (though truncated, of course), and people want to be able to buy what they heard on TV.
The dirty secret is that any time you're seeing a song and dance number in a filmed musical, you're seeing a performance to a prerecorded track. It's nearly impossible to get a clean vocal track in the middle of all of that choreography. Off the top of my head, the only exception I can think of is Rex Harrison as Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, because he refused to go into the studio. (They hid the microphone in the knot of his neck tie)

The only difference is that the demanding production schedule of a TV show like Glee doesn't allow the luxury of filming until the sync is absolutely nailed. What they do accomplish is remarkable for television. And since they are performing to their own voices, it's not like we have a Milli Vanilli situation.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just jumped into this today based on my friends sparkling recommendation and I freakin' loved it!

Sharply written, quiet humor, energetic and refreshing, it's the feel good, tap your feet show of the season!

As a huge Journey fan, their coverage of 'Don't Stop Believin'' blew me away!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks