What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Oppenheimer (2023) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have no idea why they don't show it.

That doesn't answer how charging MSRP = "gouging".
I’m thinking they aren’t showing it because they realize $50 is ridiculous for one title. I don’t think we paid that when we saw it at the theater. I don’t think I’ve ever paid MSRP for a disc at Amazon.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
With a delivery date of December 12-18 which tells me they’re out of stock.
True. I guess I just don’t understand the “algorithm”. I follow several titles that I have in my save for later queue at Amazon. All of a sudden Dressed to Kill and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy are listed at the highest prices I’ve ever seen. I’m assuming it is MSRP, but I don’t know for sure since Amazon neglects to show the MSRP in both of these cases. I try to support HTF by using the links, but these pricing schemes just bother me.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have no idea why they don't show it.

That doesn't answer how charging MSRP = "gouging".
Well it's all relative. If you want to go on a technicality, it's not gouging, because that's the "suggested retail price" however, the fact that nearly no one anywhere actually sells it at that price means that $30 is the "actual suggested price". So the gouging is implied.

Like when my wife gets all happy that she scored a $150 dress for $50, it's a huge bargain, right? Sure, except that if you look around that $150 number is completely arbitrary, because no where would you ever pay that much for it because, the most expensive place you can find that dress is for like $60. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well it's all relative. If you want to go on a technicality, it's not gouging, because that's the "suggested retail price" however, the fact that nearly no one anywhere actually sells it at that price means that $30 is the "actual suggested price". So the gouging is implied.

Like when my wife gets all happy that she scored a $150 dress for $50, it's a huge bargain, right? Sure, except that if you look around that $150 number is completely arbitrary, because no where would you ever pay that much for it because, the most expensive place you can find that dress is for like $60. :D

Still don't agree MSRP is "gouging" just because we usually get stuff at a discount.

"Gouging" is when people buy up limited releases and then charge twice MSRP.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Maybe not. You still have yet to explain how charging MSRP is "gouging".

Just because you're accustomed to below MSRP doesn't make MSRP "gouging".
Gouging can be simply overcharging for a product. Amazon was charging $30 and then switched to $50, pretty clear case of gouging whether it’s MSRP or not. I noticed they now backed off that and don’t show it available now except for some 3rd parties selling it for $33.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Gouging can be simply overcharging for a product. Amazon was charging $30 and then switched to $50, pretty clear case of gouging whether it’s MSRP or not.
This is not gouging, it's supply and demand: When they had a supply, the price was discounted. When they (and seemingly everyone else) sold out, and demand exceeded supply, the discount went away. When they are re-stocked, and have a supply that exceeds the demand, the discount will be back.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
This is not gouging, it's supply and demand: When they had a supply, the price was discounted. When they (and seemingly everyone else) sold out, and demand exceeded supply, the discount went away. When they are re-stocked, and have a supply that exceeds the demand, the discount will be back.
Except other sites chose not to list it while Amazon listed it for $50 even though they didn't have any in stock. Sorry but that's a gouge supply & demand aside. AND Amazon apparently realized it and removed that $50 pricing. We can disagree. I'll keep an eye out for a restock somewhere.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Except other sites chose not to list it while Amazon listed it for $50 even though they didn't have any in stock. Sorry but that's a gouge supply & demand aside. AND Amazon apparently realized it and removed that $50 pricing. We can disagree. I'll keep an eye out for a restock somewhere.
When they start charging a price that is higher than MSRP, they will, by definition, be gouging. Until then, they are simply not offering a discount.

But, if you choose to call it "gouging," nobody can stop you. You'll be wrong, but nobody can stop you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, enough with the Amazon price gouging posts! There is a fundamental difference of opinion regarding that issue, and it looks like nobody is going to concede their POV. Agree to disagree so we can move forward as this subject matter has become monotonous to say the least.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Universal said:
“We are happy so many consumers are embracing Oppenheimer in 4K Ultra HD and understand that some retailers may currently be out of stock,” the studio’s home entertainment division said in a statement provided to Deadline. “Universal is working to replenish those retailers quickly so fans can watch the film at home in the best picture quality possible.”

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This was one of Universal's highest grossing movies of the year. Did people think they wouldn't ship another batch? Well, evidently some people thought that, or they wouldn't be shelling out $200 for a copy on eBay.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This was one of Universal's highest grossing movies of the year. Did people think they wouldn't ship another batch? Well, evidently some people thought that, or they wouldn't be shelling out $200 for a copy on eBay.

I have to imagine "Oppy" will be the highest-selling shiny little disc released this year.

Might not sell the most copies during 2023, but I suspect it'll be #1 eventually for DVDs/BDs/4Ks released in 2023.

When was the last time Amazon went out of stock so quickly for a new release? Without some weird "supply chain" issue or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks