What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Christopher Nolan has been in the feature film environment since 1998, gaining an early reputation with Memento in 2000.

In 2005, his Batman Begins, the first of a trilogy which are among many fans favorite films put him firmly on the popular map. Interstellar (2014) added to the multitude of discussions regarding his recording and mixing of dialogue, and his directorial work on Dunkirk (2017) sealed his reputation as one of the era's finest filmmakers.

With Oppenheimer, I believe he places himself on very special turf - the story of an individual set against a huge background - and shares that turf with only a handful of filmmakers, including David Lean.

Make no mistake.

Oppenheimer is brilliant filmmaking.

Coming from Mr. Nolan, one might presume that an approved video master would look and sound equally as perfect.

And it does.

Universal (his film time there as a director, after working at WB) has meticulously crafted a digital version of his large format shot film - as shot on film.

If you missed this work in a theater on a huge screen, know that Universal's 4k UHD disc is absolutely glorious, and is one of very few discs that is able by design to, and then takes full use of the 4k UHD technology.

The audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 - yes, not 7.1, DTS-X or Dolby Atmos - is home theater shaking, and could be a danger to those who lease, or live in condos or other shared spaces. The base is extraordinary, and will literally shake your walls.

From a production perspective - and every dollar of the budget can be seen on screen, I'm surprised to learn that the film was shot in 90 days.

Now for the important stuff, especially for those who invest and trade in slipcovers.

This one is an elegant beauty. It's simple heavy paper, but beautifully designed, with orange as the main theme, inclusive of a glossy orange title that is embossed. No shoddy printing here.

Richard Roper's quote from the Chicago Sun-Times - "One of the best movies of the century." finds someone here in total agreement. That quote is nicely set off in a much more delicate shade, matching the credit block which resides just below the top of the obverse.

And in perfect style, the 4K UltraHD logo is in fully reflective silver, along with the specs just below. It is reported that in a tip of the hat to Orson Welles, Universal has accessed pure silver from none other than The Comstock Load!

Because of the cost, I'm betting that this First Edition slip will disappear at a certain point, and since the street is currently under $30, I'd not allow this one to get away.

Seeing this film allows the audience a chance to finally get a sense of who J. Robert Oppenheimer really was, and the personal hell that he was forced through after he was brought in to help end WWII.

I've not yet seen Maestro, but thus far, Oppenheimer is my Best Film of 2023, and its 180 minute running time seems more akin to 120.

I wonder what Mr. Oppenheimer would think of this.

NOTE:

Per requests, all ratings beginning today will work on a 1 -10 scale, as seemingly 5s for some and 10s for others has led to confusion, potentially adding to global warming.

Image – 10 (HDR10)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 8

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got my copy yesterday at Best Buy. No kidding that this first edition will disappear, it’s sold out at two online vendors I looked into.

I’ll be doing my very first viewing of this film this weekend. Not sure, but I think I’ll do my very first viewing of Barbie first, then Oppenheimer for my double Barbenheimer bill.

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Watching this film in 4K on a 77" LG G3 OLED panel literally, and no pun intended, blew me away. It is STUNNING, as is the film itself.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just got my copy yesterday at Best Buy. No kidding that this first edition will disappear, it’s sold out at two online vendors I looked into.

I’ll be doing my very first viewing of this film this weekend. Not sure, but I think I’ll do my very first viewing of Barbie first, then Oppenheimer for my double Barbenheimer bill.
Some viewers have expressed an opinion in that they find Barbie more fun and uplifting.

But Oppenheimer is pure cinema.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Christopher Nolan has been in the feature film environment since 1998, gaining an early reputation with Memento in 2000.

In 2005, his Batman Begins, the first of a trilogy which are among many fans favorite films put him firmly on the popular map. Interstellar (2014) added to the multitude of discussions regarding his recording and mixing of dialogue, and his directorial work on Dunkirk (2017) sealed his reputation as one of the era's finest filmmakers.

With Oppenheimer, I believe he places himself on very special turf - the story of an individual set against a huge background - and shares that turf with only a handful of filmmakers, including David Lean.

Make no mistake.

Oppenheimer is brilliant filmmaking.

Coming from Mr. Nolan, one might presume that an approved video master would look and sound equally as perfect.

And it does.

Universal (his film time there as a director, after working at WB) has meticulously crafted a digital version of his large format shot film - as shot on film.

If you missed this work in a theater on a huge screen, know that Universal's 4k UHD disc is absolutely glorious, and is one of very few discs that is able by design to, and then takes full use of the 4k UHD technology.

The audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 - yes, not 7.1, DTS-X or Dolby Atmos - is home theater shaking, and could be a danger to those who lease, or live in condos or other shared spaces. The base is extraordinary, and will literally shake your walls.

From a production perspective - and every dollar of the budget can be seen on screen, I'm surprised to learn that the film was shot in 90 days.

Now for the important stuff, especially for those who invest and trade in slipcovers.

This one is an elegant beauty. It's simple heavy paper, but beautifully designed, with orange as the main theme, inclusive of a glossy orange title that is embossed. No shoddy printing here.

Richard Roper's quote from the Chicago Sun-Times - "One of the best movies of the century." finds someone here in total agreement. That quote is nicely set off in a much more delicate shade, matching the credit block which resides just below the top of the obverse.

And in perfect style, the 4K UltraHD logo is in fully reflective silver, along with the specs just below. It is reported that in a tip of the hat to Orson Welles, Universal has accessed pure silver from none other than The Comstock Load!

Because of the cost, I'm betting that this First Edition slip will disappear at a certain point, and since the street is currently under $30, I'd not allow this one to get away.

Seeing this film allows the audience a chance to finally get a sense of who J. Robert Oppenheimer really was, and the personal hell that he was forced through after he was brought in to help end WWII.

I've not yet seen Maestro, but thus far, Oppenheimer is my Best Film of 2023, and its 180 minute running time seems more akin to 120.

I wonder what Mr. Oppenheimer would think of this.

NOTE:

Per requests, all ratings beginning today will work on a 1 -10 scale, as seemingly 5s for some and 10s for others has led to confusion, potentially adding to global warming.

Image – 10 (HDR10)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 8

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
I was waiting for your opinion Mr. Harris. I’ve seen this 4K Blu-ray on my Sony OLED
And it is, imo, reference quality.
i’ve never seen anything look this beautiful in 4K

I liked your 1-5 rating system.
But OK, thanks for all of your input always this is a marvelous achievement by Mr. Nolan and by universal

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF I only got to see this once (at the NYC Lincoln Square IMAX), I'd probably already have a copy from Gruv before release date like some others have, but I probably got my fill (after 3x in very good seats at that IMAX) at least for a little while, heh, so no need to rush to get this just yet... while my wallet's continuously combusting from all the other ongoing purchases, LOL... but definitely getting this at some point for sure (though I do wish I could have a large 1.43 AR version+setup for this, Villeneuve's Dune and some others in my own home, heh)...

IF they rerelease this at the Lincoln Square IMAX at some point, I'd probably go again... :D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Some viewers have expressed an opinion in that they find Barbie more fun and uplifting.

But Oppenheimer is pure cinema.
Yes, I figured that Barbie is as you described it. And I think that Oppenheimer will be long lasting as it lingers in my mind after seeing it. So I’ll see it after Barbie.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
You don't mention aspect ratio. Since the IMAX screen is not 16x9 I fought most of IMAX scenes looked fantastic.
in the theatre But I can't say the same for the 2.35:1 stuff They were mixed.
I heard that only the 4k disc had 2 different aspect ratios, is this true?

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
The Walmart "Icon" edition is a terrific set. It is both sleek and dramatic. The perfect frame for a picture of this importance.
They are showing "out of stock", so I'm not sure if more will be coming.
Screenshot_20231123_103423_Chrome.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was hoping that the new scoring would be 1-100. Hard to know if a 10 is a 10, or a 10 is just below an 11.;),

Okay, Mr. Harris, your review has sold me. I have only seen 3 films theatrically this year; that being The Johnstown Flood, Killers of the Flower Moon and The Man Who Knew Too Much; yet with your elevating Mr. Nolan to a David Lean status has done nothing short of slapping me silly with a burlap sack of smelling salts towards an Ultra High sense of alertness and urgency .

I’m all in. First I shall seek out a theater and then I shall purchase a disc.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You don't mention aspect ratio. Since the IMAX screen is not 16x9 I fought most of IMAX scenes looked fantastic.
in the theatre But I can't say the same for the 2.35:1 stuff They were mixed.
I heard that only the 4k disc had 2 different aspect ratios, is this true?
True.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was hoping that the new scoring would be 1-100. Hard to know if a 10 is a 10, or a 10 is just below an 11.:oops:

Okay, Mr. Harris, your review has sold me. I have only seen 3 films theatrically this year; that being The Johnstown Flood, Killers of the Flower Moon and The Man Who Knew Too Much; yet with your elevating Mr. Nolan to a David Lean status has done nothing short of slapping me silly with a burlap sack of smelling salts towards an Ultra High sense of alertness and urgency .

I’m all in.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Decimal points remain in our rating vocabulary.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone ever figure out what percentage of "Oppy" is IMAX?

I searched online and couldn't find a good answer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Because he’s curious.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why this seemed to become a controversial question.

I'm surprised it's not easy to find the answer. The IMAX version was a massive success so I figured someone out there must've timed the amount of IMAX in the film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks