What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
DanFe said:
Considering you can get it for $30 off, that makes it about $35 a season shipped. Not expensive at all.
Can't top that quote, Dan. After the math with the discount, it was an easy decision for me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Joepepe said:
Does anyone think that the cost of the Get Smart series is too high? Given that most series that come out as complete sets usually cost $20 per season. This baby costs well over $60 per season (including taxes).
Well, seeing as how it is $199.99 in the U.S. for 5 seasons, that's $40 a season, and while still more than say, Taxi season sets, it does contain, on average, 2 hours of extras per season. I think that's worth it. Once you factor in various discounts that have been available, it is even less expensive.
So I have to disagree with your post, and say that I think Time Life did okay by DVD consumers (to say nothing of fans of the show) with this one.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Tony D wrote:

$300 were did you get that price

it can be had for $34 a season if you buy the whole thing.

Tony, it's the price quoted me from Time Life. Being in Canada, they charged me $249.99 + tax + shipping (Total $307,78), the cost us Canadians have to buy it at. Cost per season $61 and change.

Joe

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Sam Favate said:
Well, seeing as how it is $199.99 in the U.S. for 5 seasons, that's $40 a season, and while still more than say, Taxi season sets, it does contain, on average, 2 hours of extras per season. I think that's worth it. Once you factor in various discounts that have been available, it is even less expensive.
So I have to disagree with your post, and say that I think Time Life did okay by DVD consumers (to say nothing of fans of the show) with this one.
The thing is Sam is that I've noticed a pattern when it comes to the studio's pricing these DVD sets. They start off a decent discounted price, go up to a "regular price" after the initial release and then 6 months down the road, drop their prices on previous season sets. For instance, Costco here in Canada is selling the Flintstones seasons 1 - 5 at $24.99 a season - I paid $39.99 a season on sale when they individually came out. Considering I have such a back log of DVD to watch, I'm waiting for DVDs to drop to rock bottom prices before buying them. And it's the same with Get Smart. Granted in the States, the price seems a lot more reasonable, but I know it will drop one day even further.
Another example is the original Star Trek seasons - Canada's best price was $99.99 per season after a few months. The original sale price was about $110 per episode. Future Shop (the company Best Buy bought out in Canada) gave its customers a break and dropped their prices to $99.99 as quoted above. Last month, Wal-Mart Canada sold them for $58.49 each (that's when I bought them). Moral - if you could, wait for the prices to drop. I know its difficult sometimes (Seinfeld is coming out soon and have to buy it when it comes out).
Cheers

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Oh, I agree, Joe, that waiting almost always brings the price down. Heck, I picked up season 1 of NYPD Blue on Amazon for $15 a few years back, and now I'm anxious for season 5 to come out.

But in the case of Get Smart (one of my favorite shows, and one which I've said time and again is among my two most desired shows on DVD), I feel I've already waited a really long time, and the wait for discounts is likely to be long. With Time Life having exclusivity for a year, the season sets will go to regular retail next fall, where they are likely to remain at regular price for at least a year. That said, I don't think $40/season is terribly unreasonable, so I don't mind snapping them up.

Of course, you have to do what's best for you. I'm sure the DVDs will be there when you are ready for them!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
At $40 per set, I leapt at the chance to be able to buy the entire series in one fell swoop, and lo, we get 9 hours of extras to boot. A very good deal, and even if we have to deal with ordering through Time-Life, oh well, they did a great job with the first season of The Odd Couple. Bring it on.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
Timelife.ca put up the set for us canadians.It's $250 plus 20$ for shipping.I just ordered one for myself.I hate that there's no way to check for updates on our orders on timelife.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Has Time-Life charged anybody's credit card that took the 3 payment option? I took it but haven't been billed anything yet. I ordered on the first day and got in on the discount so the set was $169.97. Just curious as to when they start the billing.

Jim

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's supposed to be 4 payments, Jim, and not 3.
Although my card was only charged the first payment of $50 (for a $199.95 sale) so far I also haven't been charged for the second installment. However, the first was on September 15. Today is October 15, but a Sunday. So I have a feeling when I come home from work tomorrow evening I'll see the next $50 deducted. If not....maybe a glitch in their system will only cost some of us $50. Shhh! :)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Jeff# said:
It's supposed to be 4 payments, Jim, and not 3.
Although my card was only charged the first payment of $50 (for a $199.95 sale) so far I also haven't been charged for the second installment. However, the first was on September 15. Today is October 15, but a Sunday. So I have a feeling when I come home from work tomorrow evening I'll see the next $50 deducted. If not....maybe a glitch in their system will only cost some of us $50. Shhh! :)
I thought they did not charge until they ship. There was a 50 dollar phantom charge soon after I made my order but it disappeared soon after as if it never existed. I think this was to check if the account was working. I have not been charged anything as of yet.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Tory said:
I thought they did not charge until they ship. There was a 50 dollar phantom charge soon after I made my order but it disappeared soon after as if it never existed. I think this was to check if the account was working. I have not been charged anything as of yet.
That's weird that the initial $50 charge for your first payment was somehow reversed back to your card, so consider yourself lucky! I don't have a problem with them debiting mine, but I didn't see any mention on the Time-Life site about not being charged the rest until delivery is made in November. Since I reached the 1 month mark yesterday and wasn't charged today, I'm wondering about that other $150, since it clearly stated on the site that it would be monthly installments.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I thought the 4 installments started as soon as you ordered it. Guess it doesn't start till it ships. Just thought it strange they would ship the product and then bill the 4 installments. Doesn't matter really as long as they ship it on time.

Jim

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Note: Canadians can use code WMWKCA236 for 15% off. (I got the code when I signed up for their newsletter. It expires on Oct. 19.). I placed my order last week. Can't wait! These sets look great. Still pricey to get all at once, but they do have the installment plan. My total came to $212.46 + 20.99 shipping + GST. So, at under 50 loonies per season (plus tax ) it's maybe $7-10 more per season than buying, say, the Seinfeld or Simpsons sets. For all the bonuses on the Get Smart sets, I don't mind paying a bit of a premium on a classic show, plus Get Smart had more episodes per season.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Joepepe said:
The thing is Sam is that I've noticed a pattern when it comes to the studio's pricing these DVD sets. They start off a decent discounted price, go up to a "regular price" after the initial release and then 6 months down the road, drop their prices on previous season sets. For instance, Costco here in Canada is selling the Flintstones seasons 1 - 5 at $24.99 a season - I paid $39.99 a season on sale when they individually came out. Considering I have such a back log of DVD to watch, I'm waiting for DVDs to drop to rock bottom prices before buying them. And it's the same with Get Smart. Granted in the States, the price seems a lot more reasonable, but I know it will drop one day even further.
Another example is the original Star Trek seasons - Canada's best price was $99.99 per season after a few months. The original sale price was about $110 per episode. Future Shop (the company Best Buy bought out in Canada) gave its customers a break and dropped their prices to $99.99 as quoted above. Last month, Wal-Mart Canada sold them for $58.49 each (that's when I bought them). Moral - if you could, wait for the prices to drop. I know its difficult sometimes (Seinfeld is coming out soon and have to buy it when it comes out).
Cheers
As you are saying it depends on how much you want the show and the pricing reflects that. Big fans are going to buy a favorite show as soon as it ia available so the price will be higher at first. After a year the studios go after the casual fan with cheaper prices. If a show bombs on DVD it may show up sooner at Costco or Sam's Club at a very low price.
With Get Smart I am not sure if the full series will be available next fall at other places such as Amazon or if they will start with Season 1 and release Season 2 six month later etc. . If it is one season at a time it could take years to get the entire series.
The Dick Van Dyke show when it first was released had a much larger MSRP ($70 I believe) than Get Smart.
This series had a similar amount of extras and what I would use as a basis of comparison as opposed to something like Bewitched which as almost no extras.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Alfred Bellows said:
FYI to all ... save $30 on Get Smart DVDs with this Discount Code ...
I tested this and it works:
Get 15% Off your next order over $75
Coupon Code: LKMD59
Expires: 10/31/06
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the complete set today, $185.27 including sales tax.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I figured many of you would like to check out the photos I took of the box sets (man, they're nice). Someone brought up a problem with the sets looking odd on a shelf because there wasn't any writing on the side - it's there in the final version, but was missed the text on the early photos.
Anyway, come check out the packaging, and know that you'll have them in a few weeks!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6569
Gord

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It doesn't resemble a phone booth from those photos, Gord! :)
Good to see you were able to get Get Smart! a couple of weeks before the rest of us. Is Time-Life shipping them out starting on the 15th, or are we supposed to get them in the mail by the 15th, if you know?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thanks Gord! The pictures look great, and it certainly ramps up the anticipation for this set. I'm glad that such care and effort seem to have been put into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks