What's new

Apple TV+ How To Get 5.1 Sound for Apple TV (3 Viewers)

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
I have a 4K Smart TV and a AV receiver capable of dolby atmost. On the back of the television I connected a HDMI cable from the HDMI port that indicated ARC to the ARC port on my AV receiver. I then chose AVR input on my television and changed speakers from TV to audio system on my televsion. I also changed my AV from BD to television. However not getting any sound for Apple TV streaming. Some help or comments would be appreciated.

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
No, I downloaded and installed the Apple TV app from Google Play. My set up is dolby atmos capable which a lot of my 4K discs have.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This TV appears to be ARC only as it's from 2017. You won't get Atmos from any internal streaming apps.

Regarding getting sound from the Apple TV app, if your TV is like my later X900H, you'll have to run the "external device setup."

Settings>Channels & Inputs>External inputs>External device setup

Good luck!

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
Would a Roku work? Although not sure how the connections would work. HDMI from Roku to tv and then another HDMI from Roku to AV receiver?

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
Neil, thank you for your replies. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1131. I get dolby atmos when playing my 4K discs but would be happy if I could get 5.1 on Apple TV.
Just curious as to what the ARC HDMI port is for on my Sony television if it doesn't work for streaming.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1131. I get dolby atmos when playing my 4K discs but would be happy if I could get 5.1 on Apple TV.
That receiver also has ARC. ARC can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 but not the more modern Dolby Digital+, which most streamers use. This could be the root of your issue. A Roku device connected to your receiver will get you 5.1 and Atmos where applicable. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, you may want to consider an Apple TV 4k box instead.
Just curious as to what the ARC HDMI port is for on my Sony television if it doesn't work for streaming.
ARC is designed to pass audio to your receiver, but as technology evolves older connections may not work the way we want them to. And for people who don't have nice receivers like yours, they may be happy with how it works.

Since your TV and receiver were made, HDMI has upgraded ARC to E-ARC which can pass all the new codecs like Dolby Digital+ and Atmos, but since that would require you to buy a new TV and receiver, I think buying a Roku or Apple box will suit you just fine. This will get you a 4K picture and multi-channel audio.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Would a Roku work? Although not sure how the connections would work. HDMI from Roku to tv and then another HDMI from Roku to AV receiver?
No. You connect the streamer directly to the receiver. Trying to run audio through the TV is what the problem is.

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
If Roku connects to the receiver how does the streaming connection from Roku get to the television? Wi Fi or does it pass through the receiver? My connection currently for 4K discs is HDMI from the 4K player to the television and another HDMI from the player to the receiver. I used to have a HDMI from the player to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If Roku connects to the receiver how does the streaming connection from Roku get to the television? Wi Fi or does it pass through the receiver? My connection currently for 4K discs is HDMI from the 4K player to the television and another HDMI from the player to the receiver. I used to have a HDMI from the player to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.
The receiver is designed to be the control center of the system. Not the TV. Everything should be routed through it whenever possible, because routing everything through the TV, while it can be done, comes with all kinds of problems and limitations. So, the disc player and streamer are connected to the receiver, then there is an hdmi output that goes from the receiver to the TV. That's just the basics of how this stuff is designed to me connected.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I should point out, that most 4K players have dual hdmi outputs, which means you can connect them the way you are doing it now. In that case, it works fine... except... you can't see any menus or info from the receiver on the TV. 4K players are really the only components that often have dual hdmi outputs, though, so that's usually not even a option.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Any external box plugged into a surround receiver has its video passed through the ARC input only, decoder does all the sound. You seem to have created a rather confusing and unneccesary daisy chain with your UHD player. It should be plugged directly into the HDCP 2.2 ports on the receiver.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm just not a fan of using ARC (Audio Return Channel) to begin with. It has value, but it's horribly misunderstood, and it should be the last, "no other choice" option, rather than the first choice.
It has its place. Mainly because Roku Ultra has far more uneven framerates than the built-in Roku OS version.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm just not a fan of using ARC (Audio Return Channel) to begin with. It has value, but it's horribly misunderstood, and it should be the last, "no other choice" option, rather than the first choice.
I was excited when my new TV and receiver supported E-ARC because in theory it should be great. Even with a certified 2.1 cable I get occasional audio dropouts rendering it unusable for everyday use. I stick with my Apple TV for streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks