What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There are differing opinions on the 5th season. I personally liked it - it had its moments and having Max as a Dad was a twist on things. Also, the show switched networks in the last year, so that could have had something to do with the different direction, as those things often do.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think Get Smart and I Dream of Jeannie both benefitted from the lead characters marrying, and there's no point going over why.
The bottom line_____is that some fans of TV shows hate when that happens (such as Moonlighting) but it makes no difference to me as long as the writing holds up. What actually killed Moonlighting was too many reruns during the last season, making viewers wonder when the next new episode would air. That's what led to lower ratings and cancellation.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Jeff# said:
I think Get Smart and I Dream of Jeannie both benefitted from the lead characters marrying, and there's no point going over why.
The bottom line_____is that some fans of TV shows hate when that happens (such as Moonlighting) but it makes no difference to me as long as the writing holds up. What actually killed Moonlighting was too many reruns during the last season, making viewers wonder when the next new episode would air. That's what led to lower ratings and cancellation.
I've yet to see a show where the main characters are in love, at some point get married, and the show isn't cancelled shortly thereafter. It's usually the kiss of death and is done basically because writers have run out of ideas for the characters. I think when the time comes for the characters to start changing diapers, it's time to move on...Fortunately in Get Smart, the Twins were never a big focal point in the show. :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Carlos Garcia said:
Fortunately in Get Smart, the Twins were never a big focal point in the show. :)
Fortunately, on I Dream of Jeannie, since she was a genie (a spirit) you would think she wasn't capable of giving birth. Until the 1985 sequel fifteen years later she didn't even have a belly button! Oh, and by the second sequel in 1991 she has a son, Tony, Jr! Maybe astronaut Tony was away from the house on space missions so much that she had no choice but to use her magic to enable herself to become pregnant! :laugh:
Back to Get Smart! , in the 1990s series we regularly saw Max (who was Chief of CONTROL by then) & 99 along with one of their kids: the "adult" Agent Zach Smart, who was an even bigger bumbler than his dad.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Speaking of "Get Smart" and "I Dream of Jeannie"...I was watching Larry Hagman's Biography the other day and they showed a clip from the NBC 1965 Fall Preview that apparently Maxwell Smart hosted! He said it was his assignment to reveal the secrets of NBC's new shows and he gave a description of IDOJ while they were showing scenes from the First Episode.

I have never been a fan of "Get Smart" but after reading all about this set with all the extras and the care going into it I've been thinking I really want to get it! It's too bad that other companies can't give other gems from the 60s ("Bewitched" anyone?) the treatment that "Get Smart" is receiving.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Gord Lacey said:
Marco, it'll be available in Canada once TimeLife.ca gets their act together and has it listed. Time-Life has the rights to release the set in the US, Canada and Australia, nowhere else. That makes it impossible for them to ship it to the UK, or any other country. For some reason no one bothered to talk to the Canadian site about taking orders, but I've been bugging them about it since Friday (bugging high-up people, not customer service people). I'm told it'll be up on the site later today, but I expect it to be another few days (saying something and doing something are very different). I'm interested in what the Canadian price will be...
Gord
Thanks Gord!!!
I'll keep my eyes peeled! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
This is going to be the biggest dvd release this year and next,the show was an automatic love for me when i first saw it when i was 14 years old on Nick at Night in the poconos with me family on an easter vacation,i loved the spy aspect of the show and i was SOOO excited when i heard it was being released FOR THE FIRST TIME ON DVD!!!!!,there are TONS of extras on it such as rare performances by the stars themselves outside the roles they played on the show,each show a video introduction from Agent 99 herself,audio commentaries by actors that performed on the show and more!I was so excited the day when the show was announced it was being sold on Time Life by going to GetSmartOnDVD.com that i ordered it IMMEDIATLY!!!,i am soo happy that i preordered it and will be able to watch it in it entirety throughout Thanksgiving and Christmas,you can get more details about the dvd and the incredible amount of extras with it by going to WouldYouBelieve.com/dvd.html,What are you waiting for?its going to be sold exclusively through Time Life and will not be sold in stores till this time next year,order now!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or do some of these posts sound like ads for the DVD set? I feel like I'm stuck in one of those bad commercials where people try and make a conversation sound normal, but it's full of advertising mumbo-jumbo. Are our recent forum members part of some Time-Life online marketing team? I noticed a couple of posters in this thread only have one post on HTF, and it's basically an ad for the Get Smart DVD set (and no, I don't mean Neville).
Gord

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
Whew...sorry about that chief...i mean Gord,lol

Just showing my love for the show

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
bignev44 said:
Whew...sorry about that chief...i mean Gord,lol
Just showing my love for the show
Neville, I wasn't talking about your posts - you're active in other areas of the site, and aren't spamming (that's why I mentioned I wasn't talking about you in my initial post). There are a couple of other posts from new users that have only posted once, and their posts read like ads for the site. I'm sure Ron/Packy will look into this thread and make sure things are legit, but they sure look fishy to me.
Gord

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
Gord Lacey said:
Neville, I wasn't talking about your posts - you're active in other areas of the site, and aren't spamming (that's why I mentioned I wasn't talking about you in my initial post). There are a couple of other posts from new users that have only posted once, and their posts read like ads for the site. I'm sure Ron/Packy will look into this thread and make sure things are legit, but they sure look fishy to me.
Gord
Not a problem Gord,sorry about the post,i appreciate the looking out,will be more sensitive next time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I removed the promotional posts and have suspended the members
that have come here as PR to promote.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wow! You mean there were stealth promoters on this board? How weird- I mean, if people wanted info about the DVD releases, they could easily do a web search or check out DVD reference sites.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I think these people are just excited about such an excellent deal. I mean, all this for $199.99. And if you order in the next fifteen minutes, they'll throw in a free set of Ginzu knives! Operators are standing by. :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The reference removed by moderator people were offering a free promotional disc to the first group of people who "got the word out" on 10 different websites so I suspect that is what these people were doing. So yes, it was a way of getting free PR.
Regarding the actual DVDs, what does the membership think of the cover designs? That might be the only part I'm not all that excited about. A bit too jazzy for my taste and no photos of Ed Platt or Bernie Kopell anywhere.
In the nitpick category: these appear to be digipacks with overlapping discs and no outer slipcover. I would have preferrred double slimcases.
Cosmetic issues aside, producers Paul Brownstein and Sue Kessler have put together a terrific set that will probably be a contender for "DVD of the year".
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks