Get Smart!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff#, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I kinda like the groovy-factor in the design of the season sets, although I wonder if that will change when the sets are released separately. But besides there being no title on the spines of the seasons, I like the design. I have long been a fan of DVD package designs that are reminiscent of the era from which the program came.
    I agree that this is a contender for DVD of the year. From what I have read, the episodes themselves look great in their remastered and uncut glory.

2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I wish there were more images of Barbara Feldon on the covers! Other than that, the design is very 1960s and is therefore fitting for this vintage classic.

3. Jeffbunce

Jeffbunce Auditioning

Post removed by owner - member banned for spamming

4. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

5. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Hey, I'm the guy who started this topic. Don't I have a say in this? [​IMG]
    Please unban the "advertisers". I want to see Get Smart's first-ever DVD release go into the stratosphere!

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ...and I am the owner of this forum and I will not tolerate people
    disrupting dialogue and using this forum to promote their own website.
    We will continue to remove any post that promotes a particular
    website sale.
    So, no, you have no say in this whatsoever.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Ah, I've been instantly outranked.... Well, I must have some say or else you would have deleted my previous post mentioning that. [​IMG]
    Are you sure those guys were actually being paid with a free DVD of Get Smart to promote it? Maybe they just love the show and want everyone to know about it. This whole thread is an advertisement for a great TV show, and I'm very happy to have indirectly started the ball rolling last year.
    But it wasn't a deletion of a post that I was asking about, but rather the member who made it.
    It doesn't seem right why that person was banned even though what he posted was nothing more than a copying & pasting of a Time-Life ad copy. That shouldn't be considered so offensive (regardless of whether he gained from it or not).

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Jeff,
    I believe the right decision was made here. I'd also appreciate
    this matter not being debated further. Let's get back to the
    discussion of this DVD set.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I think I read somewhere earlier in this enormous thread, that the made-for-tv movie from the 80's 'Get Smart Again', was going to be included as an extra in this set.
    I know that trhe current (is it an Image release?) DVD is out of print. I was able to grab a copy off Ebay before they began fetching such high prices.
    But I didn't notice it mentioned as a feature in any of the press releases or ads posted here. So I'm just curious if the movie is still being included as an extra or if that was merely a rumor or perhaps wishful thinking, or if it's been dropped altogether and I should still hang on to my precious OOP disc?

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

That movie in precious and OOP? I've seen dozens of copies at the dollar stores.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    It is not being included, so you should hang on to your disc. There are likely different rights owners for Get Smart Again (and for The Nude Bomb, for that matter), which is what probably prevented inclusion in the set. Still, from reading all the extras that will be included, I'd say they are nothing to sneeze at. I think this could end up being the best TV-DVD release I've ever seen.
    For the record, the web site referenced above is not giving away copies of the set. Rather, people posting ads are trying to win a promo DVD (with either extra content, or content that is taken from the set). Not saying I support what they have done, but that is why they are doing it.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  13. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Judging by Barbara's long hair, I'd say it's from one of the last 2 seasons. The audio level on that clip is very low. I had to turn my speaker up all the way, but I didn't need to watch the entire clip because I've seen them all before (and I soon will again). [​IMG] Nothing really needed restoration, as it looks just as sharp as the version that's been in syndication for many years.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I watched the clip also. Anyone know if the audio on the DVDs is going to be louder than this clip? It was very low. I assume all the jaggies, etc. in the clip were from the compression needed to host the image online?
    It was disappointing to read on the GS group that the rights holders of the MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW wanted a lot of money to license a segment featuring Ed Platt. That would have a really neat extra to see him out of character. I wonder what they were thinking? It's not like they're saving Ed Platt's appearance for a "Best of Mike Douglas" DVD.
    Steve

15. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I went ahead and preordered it in 4 payments. Does anyone know the chances of the 90's Get Smart series with Andy Dick coming to DVD? Although not as great as the original, I enjoyed it and Don Adams and Barbara Feldon were always on it, all 7 episodes that is.

16. Alfred Bellows

Alfred Bellows Auditioning

FYI to all ... save $30 on Get Smart DVDs with this Discount Code ...

I tested this and it works:

Get 15% Off your next order over $75

Coupon Code: LKMD59

Expires: 10/31/06

17. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Note to Dr. Alfred Bellows: Tony Nelson phoned to let you know that his wife Jeannie has invited you to their condo for dinner on Friday at 7. If you should see an elephant in the living room or Major Nelson floating in mid-air when you arrive don't be alarmed....it's just business as usual in the Nelson household! [​IMG]

18. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone think that the cost of the Get Smart series is too high? Given that most series that come out as complete sets usually cost $20 per season. This baby costs well over $60 per season (including taxes). Time Life is charging way too much for the show. I think I'll wait until it's "public domain" and buy it at a Costco.

If I was a casual buyer of tv shows on dvd, spending over $300 for one series may not be too bad but I do buy a lot of shows and I can't justify the cost. Buffy cost me $149 Canadian. MASH (don't get me started on that one) WOULD'VE only cost me $150 if I waited for all 11 seasons to come out as a complete series set. Get Smart only has 5 seasons (true, the seasons were longer back then, but still). Time Life is charging Canadians over $300 for the series (including taxes and shipping).

That's enough beefing from me. What are your thoughts on the price?

Joe

19. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Considering you can get it for $30 off, that makes it about $35 a season shipped. Not expensive at all.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    $300 were did you get that price
    it can be had for $34 a season if you buy the whole thing.