What's new

Frankenstein/Classic Monsters: The Legacy Collection DVD by Universal (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Bollocks !

I just ran around buying up as many of these as I could find because I thought the extras would be missing. Of course, the only one I couldn't get was CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON . . . :frowning:

Being a DVD addict can be a frustrating business.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
*** Hey, according to that dvdtimes link, the commentaries and docs (and the new Glass score for DRACULA) will be included. Nice! ***

That would be nice, but I really wonder. All five films are on 2 discs. The first two films are the only ones of the set with documentaries and commentaries and the third film is the longest at 99 mins. And all of the above on the first disc, with the second disc having the other two Frankenstein films, both rather short time wise. I would think if we were getting all the extras from the original release, the first two films would have been on the first disc, with the remaining bare-bone films on the second disc.

But better transfers would be my choice for improvements.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree, John - I want improved transfers, and can do without the extras. Then again, I guess the fact that I already own the original DVDs with Special Features helps! :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
After reading the article about the set here one of the admins mentions in a post at the bottom that 1 dvd-15 and 1-dvd 18 will be used in each collection. So unless I'm wrong does that mean where getting flippers.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, box sets are the thing now. Here are my Universal-owned suggestions. (I left out the Crime Clubs because I don't think Universal has the rights to all of them, but I would love a box of those!)

POE COLLECTION:
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, THE MYSTERY OF MARIA ROGET, THE BLACK CAT, THE BLACK CAT (1941) and THE RAVEN.

The INVISIBLE COLLECTION. All the Invisible Man and Woman pics.

MAD FILMS:
THE MAD GHOUL. THE MAD DOCTOR, THE MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET, MAD-MADE MONSTER,

THE BLUE ROOM SAGA:
SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM, MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, THE MISSING GUEST.

Horror Hiatus:
POSTAL INSPECTOR, NIGHT KEY

Things that go Bump in the NIGHT:
NIGHT MONSTER, NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS

When horror is really mystery:
STRANGE CASE OF DR Rx, SECRET OF THE CHATEAU, THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD, THE GREAT IMPERSONATION, THE HOUSE OF FEAR, SPIDER WOMAN STRIKES BACK, HORROR ISLAND, MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD

PARAMOUNT PEARLS: (Perhaps on more than two discs)
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MENACE, THE WITCHING HOUR, DOUBLE DOOR, AMONG THE LIVING, THE UNSEEN, The Three FU MANCHU films, although technically Universal would have to pay a few dollars to require release rights, DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY (w/o that waste MEET JOE BLACK), DR. CYCLOPS, THE MAN IN HALF MOON STREET, THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL, MURDER BY THE CLOCK, THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES, PETER IBBETSON, THE PREVIEW MURDER MYSTERY, SUPERNATURAL, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, TERROR ABOARD

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
John, those are some dream sets, especially that Blue Room saga set. I have tapes of crummy old UHF broadcasts of SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM and THE MISSING GUEST, but does MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM even exist anymore? It's disappeared off the face of the earth!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I am sure Universal has MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, Larry. It is a mid forties film. I think there are a few boot copies floating around, but it is one of the very few Universal horrors I haven't snagged a copy of yet.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The picture over at davisdvd shows that the discs are NOT double-sided. Which is not good, right? How will they fit two films PLUS special features (and in some cases, 3 films) on one side of a disc??

Or is the disc art in the picture just for the purpose of demonstration?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, the bust would obviously be him with the wrap and goggles. But, it would be funny if they just had a pedestal with no bust.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
He he,,,yeah!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway dvdtimes has this up:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6492

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Monster Legacy Collections for 27th April 2004. Arriving with a retail price of $26.98 each are the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man Legacy Collections, each offering several classic horror movies spread over two-discs.

Each set features the original classic films that inspired the forthcoming epic adventure film Van Helsing and are being released in the wake of said films theatrical release. On each collection you will find an exclusive look at how these classics inspired the director of Van Helsing along with completely remastered audio tracks for each film in DD2.0 Mono with additional bonus features also present...

Dracula: The Legacy Collection includes Dracula (1931), Dracula (Original Spanish Version), Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula with the following bonus features:
"The Road to Dracula" original documentary
Feature film commentary from film historian David J.Skal
Brilliant new score by famed composer Philip Glass, performed by the Kronos Quartet and more
Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection includes Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein with the following bonus features:
An original documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films
Additional commentary from film historian Rudy Behlmer
"The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" an original documentary by David J.Skal and more
The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection includes The Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London with the following bonus features:
"The Wolf Man" making of documentary
Feature film commentary from film historian Tom Weaver and more
And finally for the collector Universal will be releasing The Monster Legacy DVD Gift Set which includes all three Monster Legacy Collections and exclusive hand-painted busts from the award-winning Sideshow Collectibles creative team. Retail is $79.98 and below we have a look at the artwork for these releases...

Looks like we will get remasters! But van helsing promo crap, I don't need that!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have the 4 original DVDs (Frankenstein, Bride Of, Dracula and The Wolf Man) but I missed out on the later releases, which I believe were double features.

Did those double features have any special features? And will the commentary tracks only be on the four films I mentioned earlier?

John Madia

Second Unit
The two movies on one disc was the "extra feature". I doubt they recorded any new commentaries for the sequels (although Bride should have one).

I'm glad they'll be including the documentary/commentaries because I missed the discs the first time around. I'll definatley be picking up the Dracula/Frankenstein disc but hope there's no force Van Helsing promos on it. From the sound of it, it just seems like interviews with Steven Summers discussing the flicks. If that and the trailer are all that we see of Van Helsing on the discs I'm fine. I just would hate having to skip the Van Helsing trailer every time I started the movie.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The double features included trailers for the films, which is more than Universal does for their modern movies...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It is good to hear that there will indeed be bonus material on these discs. Any word on how they're going to accomplish this, 3 films plus bonus materials on 1 disc (in some cases)? Are we looking at flippers? I guess I'll find out when I buy the sets.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
These are relatively short films, eachrunning about seventy minutes, so it wouldn't be inconceivable that they could squeeze three movies to a RSDL DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks