What's new

Frankenstein/Classic Monsters: The Legacy Collection DVD by Universal (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Looks like these might not be so bad, after all. However, I hope the mediocre quality of the prints will not be exchanged for excessive digital artifacting.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If all the bonus materials from the initial DVDs are indeed included, in full, and the new sets of DVDs don't suffer from over-compression and the like, then I retract my previous criticism of these new sets, and will probably upgrade to these new releases, though only after I read some DVD reviews from dependable sources.

Not that I'm letting Universal off the hook for SCARFACE (1932) and the Hitchcock Box Sets mess.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I retract my criticism as well if (and only IF) these are NEW transfers, particularly Bride and Dracula. Frankenstein doesn't really need it, The Wolf Man looks pretty good except the film kind of "shakes" or "jumps" right before a cut to a next shot. On the other hand, movies like Son of Frank, FMTWM, and Ghost looked pretty mediocre (the print for Ghost wasn't bad, the transfer was just too dark, many of the other films suffered from dark transfers as well). Also, maybe it was just me, but on my copy of FMTWM, the film looked almost like a pale shade of blue-grey rather than black and white.

Also, I still maintain that some of the sequels at least deserve an interview or featurette with any surviving cast or crew member or an audio commentary.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I just wouldn't get my hopes up. This seems like a cheapie shovelware approach to me: "Take all the existing material, shove it onto a handful of discs, and then we can cross-promote our new movie!" If they were going to spend a lot of money cleaning up and retransfering these movies, it just seems they would each get a disc of their own. $26.98 for all the movies in a series just doesn't sound like the strategy for definitive new releases. I hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand, the price is a bargain if you know going in that this is a repackaging (if, in fact, it is), and if the transfer quality isn't severely hampered by shoving so many movies onto so few discs.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Get this, from Richard Valley on Scarlet Street:

What a bunch of assholes running Universal. I think a writing campaign is in order or at least a petition. Time to show Universal how to properly treat their classic films instead of trying to make a fast buck.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Amazon finally has these up for order. The Boxed set is $55.99 and the individual discs are $18.89.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Larry, I am aware of Valley's dislike for Weaver, and I probably should've left out that last line of that quote. I apologize if I gave the impression that what has become of Universal's monster movies is Weaver's doing, because that may or may not be true.

However, the fact remains that there were supposed to be more docs and commentaries but Universal has seen fit to scrap them and give us these hodge-podge collections.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'm still holding off until Deep Discount puts it up. Somehow I suspect they might end up being cheapest with the fre shipping and all.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It's been confirmed that the DVD's will have the extras. The only documentary missing will be the one that was on the original WOLFMAN DVD. The rest-for FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA and BRIDE-will remain, along with the audio commentaries.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So, aside from the original Wolfman doc and the Spanish version of Dracula, these new sets will include all the extras from the original editions?

Sweet!

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

I believe the Spanish version of Dracula is included. I think that the Wolfman documentary is the only thing not included...correct?

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Deep Discount's got 'em up now.

$63.60 shipped for the big box

$21.59 shipped for the individual sets.

Seems comparible to the Pacific DVD prices linked earlier in this thread. Anyone find them cheaper (including shipping)?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just noticed Amazon's got it for $55.99 shipped free. Not bad.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was just about to place my order for this at Amazon (it's now 7:56 pm on Jan 21) and they popped in a "share the love" window. I'm only at this computer for a few more minutes, but I thought I'd see if anyone here is interested in pre-ordering it from them. Seems to be the cheapest price so far, and another SIX BUCKS OFF makes it even cheaper.

The hitch it I NEED TO PROVIDE THEM WITH THE EMAIL ADDRESSES of people who I figure might want the set. They'll send you an email regarding the discount. I can only hang on for another 15 minutes or so (from the time above) so be quick!!!! Either post your email addresses here or email me via the usual links from HTF.

Hope somebody catches this soon, as I'm afraid I have to take off shortly. I've posted it in the Coupons forum as well.

Hopefully those who miss this offer through me can get it when other posters order the title from Amazon.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'm buying a little more time with this. it's now 8:15. Figure I'll give you guys another 20 minutes, then I absolutely gotta run. Any takers?

Cost of the box will be about $49 shipped, Just need your email posted.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Sorry folks. 8:49 now. Gotta run. Had to close the deal. Hope everybody who emailed me or posted over in Coupons and Deals gets it at that price.

Sorry if you missed out. Hopefully others will get the deal and pass it along the same way.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I just preordered the box set of the classic monsters Legacy Collection from Universal which includes Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolf Man movies (6 discs).

Are they going to come out with another set with the remaining monsters/creatures?

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Dracula: The Legacy Collection, a 2-disc set which will include Dracula (1931), Dracula: Original Spanish Version and Dracula's Daughter on Disc One, with Son of Dracula and House of Dracula on Disc Two.
Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection, another 2-disc set including Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein on Disc One, with Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein on Disc Two.
The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection which will include The Wolf Man and Werewolf of London on Disc One, and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London on Disc Two.
The set will also include a figurine of each monster. I read all this on http://www.thedigitalbits.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks