What's new

Frankenstein/Classic Monsters: The Legacy Collection DVD by Universal (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
The Bride of Frankenstein is arguably the best of the Universal horror films, the jewel in the crown of the studios classic horror catalogue. It deserves a much better presentation than what they released on DVD previously, even their 90's videotape release was a brighter, cleaner and better framed image.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

So was the laserdisc released in the mid eighties. I just snagged one of those on eBay; I foolishly sold mine when the DVD was announced.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just got this information off of the Creepy Classics website:

The Classic Monster Legacy Series from Universal.

Okay, FINALLY, the official news direct from Universal.
As described and available for pre-order, THE FRANKENSTEIN LEGACY will be coming out on April 27th with FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN and HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. In addition they will be doing THE DRACULA LEGACY with the following titles: DRACULA, THE "SPANISH" DRACULA, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, SON OF DRACULA and HOUSE OF DRACULA. And, THE WOLF MAN LEGACY will include: THE WOLF MAN, WEREWOLF OF LONDON, FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN and SHE-WOLF OF LONDON.
Now, it's not yet clear if they will be releasing the Dracula/Wolf Man sets seperately. THEY will be included on a box called THE MONSTER LEGACY GIFT BOX. This box will include all three LEGACY sets: 14 movies for a 79.98 retail (released the same day as THE FRANKENSTEIN LEGACY, April 27, 2004).

Here's a link:
Creepy Classics Videos and DVD's

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Man, I already own the previous box set, but that selection of movies would be hard to pass up!

I never thought the day would come that I would be double dipping boxsets!

Now, if universal could get out all the invisable man and creature films, not to mention non monster horror like Murders in the rue morge (has this ever been released? I've never found it locally.) and Island of lost souls. I'd be a happy monster fan!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'll be double dipping. Not only because I want HOUSE OF DRACULA, but since I'm a diehard Universal Nut as well. Plus, the sets are very affordable.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Same here, Joe. I just won both the Encore Edition and Discovision versions of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN on eBay, so I might as well get this package too; then I'll own every optical disc version of BRIDE ever issued(unless there's a CED one floating around out there somewhere).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll also double-dip. I have all the single discs except Phantom, but I never got the double features. They each cost more than the SRP for each of these Legacy sets. Too bad they'll have the same transfers, though.

Ken Ranke

Agent
I have the original box set as well as several double features(mainly The Mummy movies). I'll spring for the Dracula set for Daughter,Son and House of. Pass on The Wolf Man ( Never liked London or She-Wolf )
Bring on The Creature and Invisible Man sets to fill out the series !!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, BRIDE and DRACULA will be fixed. Film scholar Tom Weaver works for Uni, and he made it known to folks at the DVD division of Universal that DRACULA and BRIDE are both in need of remastering. Weaver said he doesn't know if anyone listened to him, but at least someone let them know the score.

Most of the double features looked fine, so it isn't that big of a deal if they use the same masters for those.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Well, I'll definitely get the Dracula set, since HOUSE OF DRACULA hasn't been released before. I'd like to think I can pass on the others, since I have the earlier releases (especially if BRIDE isn't improved upon this time around), but I'm a Monsters freak, so resistance might be futile. And those sets are really pretty to look at.... Okay, damn it, I'm sold. :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein if and only if there are improved transfers over my current dvds.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
From the Bits:

Good news for those who didn't pick these up the first time around. As for me, I hate to bitch, but this means I'll have to double-dip to get House of Dracula which hasn't been previously released. Grumble, grumble...

StevenFC

Second Unit
Good 'ol DB. They always come through with good news.

This makes me very happy. Although I doubt that there will be any extras on the DVDs since this is more of a promotional release that an "ultimate edition" release. And Universal's website doesn't show any extras at all. Too bad.

Not that I'm complaining.

I'm just glad I have a chance to own them. If only they would release the Black Lagoon movies as well. Maybe they figured that these would be better saved for the oft-whispered remake of The Creature from the Black Lagoon as opposed to Van Helsing. I think that we'll see all three on DVD eventually. One can hope, can't one?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As for the double dipping grumble about buying the Dracula films again in order to get HOUSE OF DRACULA, just keep in mind that we used to pay this price for ONE film, on VHS!
Back in 1989, I bought both SON OF DRACULA and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN for $29.99 each. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the concerns about double dipping on the Dracula films in order to get HOUSE OF DRACULA... keep in mind that we used to pay this price for ONE film on VHS! Back in 1989 I recall buying SON OF DRACULA and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN on tape for $29.99 each! :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Another in the long line of Universal's marketing decisions that screw their customers.

No, I will not double-dip just to get House of Dracula, just as I wouldn't double-dip in buying the Hitchcock sets to get the TV series, or buy the Scarface set to get the 1931 version.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Still, that deluxe box looks real tempting, especially if Deep Discount knocks the price down a bit more. Though I could live without the little toys.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Jay E,

I agree completely! I'm happy that those who had missed out on the prior Classic Monster Collection will get the chance to get them all, and rather cheaply, soon. However, as someone who had purchased all the initial Classic Monster SE DVDs (except 1943's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA --too much opera, not enough Phantom, IMHO), but none of the double-features, I don't want to have to "double-dip" to the extent that I would with these new Universal repackagings. I would've rather that Universal had just re-released what they had as individual DVDs (some as double-features, of course), with optional box set collections. Guess I'll have to burn my own DVDs of HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN/HOUSE OF DRACULA, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON OF DRACULA from my Universal LD editions. My sympathies to those in my position who don't have the LD-to-DVDR option available to them. Yeah, I know, the "Legacy" collections are only $27 MSRP a pop (before possible discounts), but still...

Universal is crazy. I'd have to buy a $60 faux-leather "gift set" (including a money clip and other paraphernalia) of the 1983 SCARFACE in order to get the classic 1932 version? No thanks. I could see them having the '32 version paired with the regular 2-disc "20th Anniversary" SCARFACE ('83) DVD (as they paired the 1934 DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY with the Ultimate Edition of MEET JOE BLACK), but this elaborate box set deal is ridiculous.

And that Hitchcock box set/TV episodes debacle from years ago is still their most bone-headed marketing decision to date. :angry:

Hal D

Grip
I'm dissapointed. With "Van Helsing" coming out, I was expecting more new titles than just "House Of Dracula". What about "The Deadly Mantis", "Tarantula", A & C Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, "This Island Earth" (rereleased), etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks