What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Frankenstein/Classic Monsters: The Legacy Collection DVD by Universal (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm double dipping on this too, having previously bought the original Box set. I'm not too upset, as I haven't bought any of the previous double features as they were way too much money (I never found them for under $35 CDN).

Too be abole too get all of the movies in a box set for $79, even with the fact that 5 of them are duplicated in the previous set is just too good a deal too pass up!

(I would probably be more unimpressed if I already owned the double features, I guess this is the one time my cheapness didn't get me burned!)

Maybe we can get the invisable man , mummy and creature sets for halloween!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'll almost definitely doubledip on the whole set, but there's no question that I'll buy the DRACULA LEGACY box just to get HOUSE OF DRACULA. It will likely retail for twenty bucks, and as Joe mentioned, these things used to cost thirty bucks and over on VHS and Laserdisc for just one film.

By the way, a little off topic here, but the Classic Horror Film Forum that is located on AOL has an annual Classic Horror Award that includes nominee for best classic horror DVD, Best Film of the Year, etc. Tons of professional genre writers and professionals participated in it last year, and it is likely to be even bigger and better this year. Here's a link, if anybody's interested:

The Rondo Awards 2003

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler

I am a VERY BIG advocate of extras on DVD's but if Universal is willing to give us Legacy Sets like this, I can easily overlook the extras! What a bargain! ...so what's the beef?

Steven

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

My beef is the possibility that these might be the same transfers as the previous DVD's. Bride and Dracula looked quite horrible (worse than their VHS counterparts imo) and many of the double features were too dark (Ghost in particular).

Concerning extras, I think it would be extremely stupid not to include the old docs and audio commentaries considering Universal owns them, but Universal never seems to repeat extras (I think the LD's for Harvey and Bend of the River had commentaries with Jimmy Stewart that were scrapped for the DVD's). Also, some of the cast and crew from these films are still alive, they could at least include 10-minute interviews or featurettes with them the way MGM does with the Midnite Movies. These people aren't going to be around forever.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

:eek: The 1932 version is available on DVD? Much as I dislike the "remake," I'll have to think about getting it for the original.

Edit: But, no. I just can't bring myself to buy that box. I don't want the main movie or any of the other extras, so I'll just hope the original will turn up on its own. Not that it will, since Death Takes a Holiday and Charade never did. Universal's tie-in model stinks.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my beef is, apart from one film, this is all material that was previously available, and should have just remained in print.
this is the big monster promotion?

i had big hopes that VH would have been the ticket to open the floodgates on all the monster material that HASN'T been released previously.

i'm happy for the people who missed these the first time, but all i see is more wasted opportunities

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Actually I'm reasonably happy with The Monster Legacy sets even though its unlikely these will be new transfers of Bride and Dracula. If they are that will be a good bonus but I only have the first two Frankensteins, the English language Dracula and The Wolf Man so effectively I'd be getting ten movies for the $79.98. Not a bad deal.

I totally agree though about the ludicrous situation concerning the 1932 Scarface.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Same here. I've complained about it before, but it's probably worth saying again - I personally think that the 1983 Scarface is a terrible movie with absolutely no redeeming qualities. I know a lot of people like it, and I respect that, but to me it's just a terrible movie. The 1932 Scarface, on the other hand, I enjoyed. I'd love to have the 1932 version, but there is absolutely no way I will let a copy of the 1983 version in any way, shape or form into my home.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What other Monster or Horror "Legacy" Sets should Universal do? Here are some of my ideas, just going by titles which Universal has already put out either on VHS, DVD or LD:

THE MUMMY LEGACY
The Mummy
The Mummy's Hand
The Mummy's Tomb
The Mummy's Ghost
The Mummy's Curse

INVISIBLE COLLECTION
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man Returns
The Invisible Woman
Invisible Agent
The Invisible Man's Revenge

BORIS KARLOFF AND BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION
The Black Cat
The Raven
The Invisible Ray
Black Friday

THE CREATURE LEGACY
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Revenge of the Creature
The Creature Walks Among Us

APE WOMAN COLLECTION
Captive Wild Woman
Jungle Woman
The Jungle Captive

INNER SANCTUM COLLECTION
Calling Dr. Death
Strange Confession
Dead Man's Eyes
Weird Woman
The Frozen Ghost
Pillow of Death

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MONSTERS COLLECTION
Meet Frankenstein
Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff
Meet Jekyll and Hyde
Meet the Invisible Man
Meet the Mummy

HORROR CLASSICS VOL 1 (1930s)
The Old Dark House
Island of Lost Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Mystery of Edwin Drood

HORROR CLASSICS VOL 2 (1940s)
The Mad Ghoul
Man Made Monster
The Monster and the Girl
The Climax
Phantom of the Opera
Night Monster
House of Horrors

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Joe, That's a great list!
someone should fax that to Universal.

i hope they aren't being stooges and purposefully withholding the other characters like the Creature, Mummy, etc in the event that the film is succsessful and a sequel is greenlit- 2 more years just to get another small trickle of monster films would be insanely lame.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Those are some great suggestions for additional Legacy collections. I'd especially love to see "The Black Cat".

I have a suspicion that the Mummy movies might be held off until an eventual third Mummy movie is made, which is possible. I hope not, though, because that would mean waiting for two years or more! Too bad there won't be any mummies in Van Helsing.

John Madia

Second Unit
IIRC, the original DVD of Dracula had an alternate score by Phillip Glass. Will this be included on the new set? Also, what extras will be missing?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSALS HAMMER SERIES !!!!!!
"CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF"
"KISS OF THE VAMPIRE"
"BRIDES OF DRACULA"
"PHANTOM OF THE OPERA"
THESE FILMS NEED A RELEASE AS WELL !!!!!!!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Hey, according to that dvdtimes link, the commentaries and docs (and the new Glass score for DRACULA) will be included. Nice!

The more I think about these sets, the more excited I become... and hey, the big box will probably be cheap at CostCo. Let's all be glad those little statues aren't bobbleheads!

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
I'm all over the gift box as I missed on all the first releases and the statues are nice too. I hope they are right about the bonus features as that was a lot of peoples beef with this release.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Oh my god, those busts are breathtaking... I can't think of anything else Universal could have added to the Monster Legacy set to make it any more special. Busts, extras and 14 movies... its classic horror hog heaven!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks