What's new

Ever Try To Cancel Something? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder why he didn't just hang up? Nobody needs to listen to that kind of abuse for 8 minutes......not even a telemarketer. Telemarketers are aggravating but calling the guy a murderer and a rapist? Wow. It was amazing that he was able to keep his cool while being verbally assaulted like that.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Call centres are evil because as a consumer, you have no power. You can never speak to the same person twice, never get anybody's name, never speak to any body's boss. All those things you used to be able to do, to get something sorted, you can't do any more. The person who works in the call centre might tell you that they've done something and then the problem doesn't get fixed.

When people have all their power taken away like that, they're gonna get crazy, it's the same reason people get shouty and irrational on aeroplanes. It's impotent rage. I'm surprised the media haven't started talking about phone-rage yet.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just went through cancelling some credit cards that I no longer use. They all use the same M.O. . "Let me transfer you to the department that handles cancellations." Then you have to say "No" three times. By my last phone call, when I was asked why I wanted to cancel my card I answered, "Because I want to disappear from the face of the earth and go into hiding." I was impressed because the guy on the phone didn't miss a beat.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Linda, Interesting background information. 15 minutes before the chance to talk to a live person. I don't have that much patience. My wife usually navigates through all the menus and hold, then gives me the phone. I don't know why most "customer care" lines give you a live person as a last resort. Doesn't sound very caring to me. At least with most companies, pressing "0" gets you to the operator quickly.
Dave

By the way,MSN video doesn't like Firefox

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Real question - why would anyone ever WANT to do business with anyone like that women? Were she to speak to anyone in my employ like that I would terminate her relationship before you could say "kiss my ass". Anyone who does not terminate her deserves her abuse. When she really wants to do business with a civilized rational human being she will find the world a cold empty place and still not figure out why it is so.
Maybe the call was unsolicited - but there are more constructive ways each end of the line could have handled that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Man, what a psycho. "How can you call 911 if the phone keeps ringing?" Uh, pick it up, hold down the button until you get a dialtone, dial. Got to give a lot of credit to the kid on the line. He kept his cool better than I probably would have.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Note: Cancelling Credit Cards doesn't always work....

I cancelled a credit card almost 10 years ago. I never got a statment and never touched the account. Last year, I get a bill from that account. I never made the transaction and called the CC Co. - They said there was some 'automated' renewal system for a magazine (that I never ever ordered) and that's why the charge came up on the account (probably a mistake).

Now, while I can accept the mistake, what I don't get is, I checked with the operator and there had been NO activity on the card in over 8 years!!!! Why, all of a sudden, did they allowed a charge on the card???

What kills me now is, I had them take the charge off and cancel the card.

You guessed it, I got another statment from them. I called yet again and made sure they cancelled the card.

Well, HOWDY FREAKIN HOWDY! I STILL get statments from them. Of course, there's no balance, but still! WTF??? :angry: That AOL guy got off easy IMHO, I've called several times and STILL can't get the card cancelled.

mylan

Screenwriter
Yep, Dave, it can. When you close an account it looks as though you have less credit and/or are less credit worthy.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

To expand upon what mylan said... Part of the information used in calculating your credit score is how much you owe overall, as a percentage of your total credit (all your limits combined).

Simplified example:

You have cards A, B, and C, each with a $10,000 limit ($30,000 combined limit). Between them, you owe $10,000, out of the $30,000 that you could theoretically owe. You're using one-third of your available credit.

If you should cancel one of the cards, you now have a theoretical limit of $20,000. If you still owe that $10,000, you are now using HALF of your available credit. That looks a lot worse on a credit report, and it will definitely lower a credit score, no matter how spotless your payment history may be.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Depends.

Credit ratings also look at "potential debt."

Here is an example of a credit card with a $10,000 limit that you never use. When you apply for more credit (car loan, mortgage, etc...) the potential debt of that card is taken into account and may negatively impact your maximum credit on the new application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks