What's new
World Wide Stereo

Catfisch Cinema (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Acurus Theory Speakers were the incredible demo. Two channel, no sub, and it was perfect. The surround demo and I was thinking I’d have considered buying these if I were building my theater brand new today.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Acurus Speakers were the incredible demo. Two channel, no sub, and it was perfect. The surround demo and I was thinking I’d have considered buying these if I were building my theater brand new today.

Wait. They make/sell speakers? I wasn't aware... and they're not shown/listed on their site.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Acurus demo room was running a Wolf DLP projector on an 11’ ALR micro-perf Seymour screen The projector was unimpressive. The screen I suppose was great if I were looking for something that huge and of that style.

The Sony and JVC demos were on Stewart screen. I think it was the Studio Tek 130. Definitely 130. Definitely not the FireHawk. Not AT. It was great. Talked to Adrian Silva who @Sam Posten interviewed. I will have to check them out when it’s time to maybe upgrade my screen after the projector purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wait. They make/sell speakers? I wasn't aware... and they're not shown/listed on their site.

_Man_
Ok sorry, Acurus was the amp. I can’t remember what brand the speakers were. Might have been Theory but I’m uncertain now. Was definitely Theory Speakers. They were awesome.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bummer. I thought I’d mentioned it around here, but wish I msg’d you directly since I know you’re close-ish. I think they’ll do it again next year. It’s off to a great start.
No sweat. Just means it wasn't meant to be. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Epson, even though the lack of auto tone-mapping "probably" makes it a non-starter for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No sweat. Just means it wasn't meant to be. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Epson, even though the lack of auto tone-mapping "probably" makes it a non-starter for me.
MadVR Envy folks would tell you to just buy the Envy and keep rockin’ your Epson 5050 :)

Because they told me I could toss the Envy on my Sony HD projector and let the Envy downscale 4K UHD to HD UHD tonemapped to my projector.

Which wouldn’t be totally crazypants if it wasn’t an $8,000 / $13,000 video processor connected to a six year old $2500 HD projector. :)

If the Envy was $2500 / $5000 it would be a game changer for projector buyers. I’d get a Sony 5000 and an Envy. But alas that’s not how it is.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
MadVR Envy folks would tell you to just buy the Envy and keep rockin’ your Epson 5050 :)

Because they told me I could toss the Envy on my Sony HD projector and let the Envy downscale 4K UHD to HD UHD tonemapped to my projector.

Which wouldn’t be totally crazypants if it wasn’t an $8,000 / $13,000 video processor connected to a six year old $2500 HD projector. :)

If the Envy was $2500 / $5000 it would be a game changer for projector buyers. I’d get a Sony 5000 and an Envy. But alas that’s not how it is.

Mine is a 6050, not that it matters as they're essentially the same. Even if the Envy were in the stated price range I wouldn't go that route. I like to limit the pieces in my system chain as each one adds another potential point of failure/frustration. Until an acceptable [price vs features] laser-based model appears I actually am leaning towards doubling down and waiting it out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mine is a 6050, not that it matters as they're essentially the same. Even if the Envy were in the stated price range I wouldn't go that route. I like to limit the pieces in my system chain as each one adds another potential point of failure/frustration. Until an acceptable [price vs features] laser-based model appears I actually am leaning towards doubling down and waiting it out.
I have a multi-variate calculus in my head of if/when/what to upgrade. I think this is the year for me to upgrade my 6 year old HD projector. Not 💯 sure.

What makes it harder for me is it’s not just a projector.

Tv upgrade is easy. Pull old TV off wall. Put lighter weight new TV on wall.

Projectors: new bigger ceiling mount? How do I update my HDMI run? Do I need new PrePro? Will I care about 4K120 gaming three years after I buy? How about the screen?

All those surrounding issues are almost more daunting to me — and motivate wait and see — than just spending $11k and getting on with the projector upgrade.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Epson LS12000. Spent some time. Watched RPO race scene, Pacific Rim Dancer saves Tokyo, John Wick final fight in car.

Unfortunately they were setup with an ALR grey screen that sparkles and diminished colors.

Black levels seemed ok. Not stunning but better than what I have now.

Had him dial HDR slider during pacific rim to get a feel for what it does.

Overall it looks great. JVC feels like HDR is more effortless. But Epson never looked bad in my 30 min demo.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Paradigm Founders Series 120 towers. Remind me of why Paradigm were tied for my favorite speakers when I was shopping back around 2008.
C7F3A84B-F8EA-446F-90D6-BA09F190A0BA.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Piega speakers flown in from Switzerland. $350k pair of speakers. Only pair that are made this year. 20 pairs will be made ever.

Extreme two-channel listening. C43FAB1F-AE97-4786-AEDF-03089F9D5B76.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stewart has its Harmony G2 woven screen. I need to get samples. I’ve got a woven screen but I want a finer weave. Stewart is likely more than I want to spend. But it’s something to consider.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have a multi-variate calculus in my head of if/when/what to upgrade. I think this is the year for me to upgrade my 6 year old HD projector. Not 💯 sure.
Huh? I don't possess the necessary "book learn'in" to comprehend that statement but I think I get your meaning. :confused:
Projectors: new bigger ceiling mount? How do I update my HDMI run? Do I need new PrePro? Will I care about 4K120 gaming three years after I buy? How about the screen?
You'll drive yourself crazy worrying on this level.
  • If you need a new mount, just get one.
  • I did my own fiber HDMI run shortly after buying the Epson 6050 but you may have additional considerations since your room is a custom job.
  • We both need new Pre/Pro's as the AV7702mkii is quite long in the tooth, but it's not a prerequisite for a new 4K projector. Let one decision inform the other.
  • If needed, buy the screen you recently convinced me to buy. It's awesome!
All those surrounding issues are almost more daunting to me — and motivate wait and see — than just spending $11k and getting on with the projector upgrade.
Maybe, just maybe... this is more a factor of your personality than the issues at hand. You're a perfectionist. Takes one to know one but, as @Josh Steinberg alluded in another thread "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Now when it comes to dropping that 11K we're on the exact same page, which is why the LS12000 remains so tempting. :cool:

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’m almost hoping @John Dirk upgrades sooner than necessary so I can try to convince him to give me his Epson 6050 :D
I've actually toyed with the idea of buying the LS12000 and keeping the 6050 for it's 3D capabilities. Honestly, if the LS12000 had dynamic tone-mapping I might have done so, at least initially.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Piega speakers flown in from Switzerland. $350k pair of speakers. Only pair that are made this year. 20 pairs will be made ever.

Extreme two-channel listening. View attachment 149401
Clearly modeled after the Infinity IRS, which are about four times as big.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Maybe just think of it like going w/ separates for the audio side... I mean, when was the last time you used a boombox or all-in-one mini-stereo (or HT-in-a-box) system w/ all the (5-band?) EQ or basic tone control built-in for your main audio afterall? ;):D

Decent prepros aren't cheap (and probably offer much more than something like that MadVR Envy) and I ain't about to spend $5-10K for one, but...

I think $1-2K would be worth considering given the realities of using PJ for 4K/HDR for the foreseeable future. Much more than that is probably too much me thinks -- and I simply won't/can't justify a processor that costs more than the PJ of my choice... Of course, I understand it's a business, and they need to charge enough to justify their R&D, etc. It may just be there's simply not enough market interest to make it affordable enough for us mortals...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Maybe just think of it like going w/ separates for the audio side... I mean, when was the last time you used a boombox or all-in-one mini-stereo (or HT-in-a-box) system w/ all the (5-band?) EQ or basic tone control built-in for your main audio afterall?
Decent analogy but not quite the same. If an integrated receiver existed that could provide performance on par with MY separates setup I would have considered it, but none does.

It may just be there's simply not enough market interest to make it affordable enough for us mortals...
I suspect that's exactly the case, which makes me wonder why they're even building them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks