What's new

Basement Home Theater Start here!! (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK some real progress. I had my niece come over and help me paint the Drylock on the left and rear wall, plus I moved the Home theater so I can Prep that wall and get ready for paint this Sat.

I am hoping to get the paint this wed. and paint on Sat. here are the latest pics of the drywall and the cleared out home theater.. Oh and I had made a print up for the cover of my Acoustic panels to see how it would look printed out and here is the image it is a nebula pic from the Hubble..
IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I took down all those wood boards and spackled the holes in the wall, of which there were many haha!!

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Paint is done for now on the 2 walls. I am going to do the half of the floor in a little bit but for now starting to shape up. Once I get the floor painted I am going to start the rest of the paint then put up the 2 walls for the Home theater.. and paing it blue like I did for these walls..

Might be done by Christmas..
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I have a question about the Behr 1 Part Epoxy Paint and it's durability and whatnot. I was looking at some videos by Behr and in the comments section alot of users were saying how it pealed up and such.

Does anybody here have any insight on the durability of this paint for a basement floor? in my old theater I used a Concrete paint and it peeled up from under my throw rug I put on top of it, and I would like to avoid something similar with this epoxy paint if possible..

I have never used the epoxy paint and would like to avoid the pitfalls of using such paint.. I appreciate any input.

Thank You
Gerald'

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK I had decided to go with cement stain for the floor. the color is sort of teal but more on the green side it is Behr Cement Stain Adirondak Green, I purchased 2 gallons as I have 878sq.ft to paint and each gallon will do 600sq.ft. so I should be good.

It states it has good coverage so maybe I can get away with a single coat like I did for the walls.. I also named the theater it is know known as "The Planetarium" since I am going to have space pics from the Hubble as my Acoustic panels..

Here is the layout and I also decided to build a new DIY Subwoofer maybe 2 this time.. an Stereo Integrity HT18v3. it is a big box. here is the pic I made of the layout
Screenshot 2023-07-17 192030.jpg

Last edited:

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I primed and painted the floor today, it is going to need a 2nd coat but looks pretty good now.. just have to wait 72 hours afterI put the 2nd coat on and I can shift all the junk from the undone side to the done side then paint the other half of the basement floor..

Then construction can begin on the theater.. which is only 2 walls and a drop ceiling. I am getting stoked..

EDIT: 2nd Coat is done. I am glad that is over for now. just have to wait 72 hours and the orbit shift begins LOL!!

IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG

Last edited:

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I decided to go with 2 different rooms and the layout in the HT is going to be a little smaller then originally planned. I am going to make the room 16x12 the PC room will be about the same or a little smaller..

I had made a new layout in Paint and I think this will work better and be a little cheaper to build..

Room Layout.png

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well the orbit shift happened and everything is now on the painted side and I am ready almost to paint the other side.. I am planning on putting my PC room seperate from the home theater and up front of the basement it already has the 3 brick walls so all I need to do is put in 1 wall and door and paint the inside and perhaps put in a drop celinig to make it look snapier..

I am going to drylock only the bottom part of the wall the top part looks good but I will have a better idea when I paint it. then I can put on the Concrete Primer and two coats of paint on the floor. hopefully I have enough paint but I think I will..

here are the current pics of the project:

IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hey Small Update, I will be getting the floor and the bottom part of the side wall Painted this Sunday.. My Niece said she could come over and help me get it done..

So far she has been my motivation as when she did not show up last week I slacked and did not do any painting.. well hope to getit done Sunday then I can shift all the other junk to the painted side and get the other half done then move my PC to its new location and hopefully get it walled in soon with a door and paint inside the room.

I think it will be better to have the PC in a seperate room that way if someone wnats to watch a movie while I am gaming they can easy..

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well 1st coat done, one more and this side will be done. then wait 72hours and I can orbit shift the junk from the last 1/4 then get that side painted and I can then start putting up walls..
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
HaHa, I guess I should have checked the paint HD sent to me the other day as they sent the wrong stuff. I ordered Concrete Stain and they sent me interior paint..

Oh well I am going back to HD tomorrow and hopefully get this squared away.. I partially had the 2nd coat started.. :(

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
2nd coat is done but I had a little pool up I guess I went to thick with the paint but it should dry. but looks great.. almost done the painting..

IMG_0917.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK One last orbit shift and I have the area cleared and almost ready for paint. the back 3 walls I am going to paint the same color as the theater. Once I am finished painting I will build the wall for the computer room which is going in the back corner in the following picture.

IMG_0919.JPG

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well after an extended break. I finally finished the painting today with the help from my Niece.. I just got done the 2nd coat on the floor and it turned out really nice.. I am going to debate if I am going to paint the walls back there blue or just leave them no frills..

My Computer room will be in the back there up against the right wall with a wall at the edge of the steps. that is the next phase in this project. I had bought my nephew a PC and I am on hold until I get more Funds for the project. but I should be able to get the wood, drywall and door frame next time out and get all that fixed that way I will have my own little computer room.

I am still debating if I am going to put in a drop ceiling or keep it like it is for the industrial look.. other then that the major paining is done, all I need to do is stain the stairs and get them Dr. up and I should be ready for building the Theater room with 2 walls, drop celining and then paint.

After all that I will get the Acoustic panels made up and install those.. Might not be done at the end of this year but it might be all complete by next spring. ;)

IMG_0921.JPG

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
Just found your post and this is perfect as we are almost ready to close on my MIL's house. (Like someone else said "YA 7% interest".) I will finally have a basement spot to turn into a "Bucs (TampaBay) / Bar / theater room". I am going to have to measure it but it will be width ways instead of length ways. Love what you have going on and almost exact to what I want to do.
Did you end up going with dye on the ground or paint? I have been looking over the options and wanted carpet at first for the sound absorption but think it may be a bad idea (107 year old house with 0 basement leaks, but you never know). I am also very worried about sound bouncing around as it has an echo now. Kind of tossed on the drop ceiling also.
Wish I could help with some of your questions but we will be able to compare during our journeys!

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I used Concrete Stain with a cement primer. And Drylock for the walls but if needed I could paint over the Drylock with another color but I think white looks fine..

Looking to put in insulation up in the Joists and put in a drop ceiling for the theater room.. Paint was the low budget route but it turned out pretty good and it will help keep the dust down from the cement..

If you did put a rug down there minus the floor paint/stain I would get a marine rug.. that way if it does get wet it should be pretty easy to cleanup.

The sound would bounce around that is why I put in the throw rugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks