What's new

Catfisch Cinema (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That does help. In my wife's eyes, "a screen is a screen." She'd just assume watch feature films on the 50" set in the bedroom. When we do watch movies in the theater she thinks I'm crazy for wanting it so loud.

That sounds familiar :)

I’ll probably be ready for a JVC by the time Dave is ready for the next upgrade - so Dave, I’ll be interested in a third hand JVC next time you upgrade! 😂

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That does help. In my wife's eyes, "a screen is a screen." She'd just assume watch feature films on the 50" set in the bedroom. When we do watch movies in the theater she thinks I'm crazy for wanting it so loud.

Mine just thought I'm going deaf or something, LOL.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, but DIET root beer?
Yea. I'm a "man of a certain age now."

Diet? Blechhh!!! I'm not into root beer though... but I'd much rather just have unsweetened tea (iced or not) or even plain black, unsweetened coffee than pretty much any kind of diet soda... Can't stand the taste of any of the artificial sweeteners... although I've found a little bit mixed w/ actual sugar to be ok enough in (very) dark brewed coffee...

Fortunately, I don't seem to have any issues w/ the amount of sugar I do take these days... not that I like very sweet foods/treats all that much anymore and tend to prefer watering down juices and sodas a bit nowadays...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still love all the sugar and fat. But eat much less of it now. I’ve taken up Coke Zero in recent years — I never liked Diet Coke but the Zero line is close enough. And I take my coffee black as a rule now, with cream and sugar mainly on the weekends like this morning as more of a treat.

Counteracting all this good is I’ve taken up cocktails as part of my “cooking” hobby with a small bar and a cocktail book and a YouTube bartender I discovered in 2020.

And my bar is in my theater and upgrading to 4K is essential to good mixing. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I still love all the sugar and fat. But eat much less of it now. I’ve taken up Coke Zero in recent years — I never liked Diet Coke but the Zero line is close enough. And I take my coffee black as a rule now, with cream and sugar mainly on the weekends like this morning as more of a treat.

Counteracting all this good is I’ve taken up cocktails as part of my “cooking” hobby with a small bar and a cocktail book and a YouTube bartender I discovered in 2020.

And my bar is in my theater and upgrading to 4K is essential to good mixing. ;)
I think you're onto something here.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep. I just don’t drink sweetened beverages at all. Water or awesome, premium, fresh brewed, pure, iced or hot tea. I have connections. :P

I prefer to reserve my calories for food.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cocktails are food.
Tom Cruise What GIF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I just tried a little Truvia in a small, dark, black coffee... and blechhhh!!! Nasty stuff that left this strange, tingly after-taste stuck to my tongue for more than an hour (that actually seem to get progressively worse during that hour-plus)... although maybe the tingly part was (partly?) due to the coffee (w/out milk) being a bit hotter than I'm used to (and possibly burnt my tongue a little bit)... :P

Think that was my 1st time trying Truvia. No idea why my church didn't have any actual sugar available (for the after-worship "coffee hour"), but they sure had 3 different artificial sweeteners though... :P These days I generally prefer "raw" sugar, so that's what I keep at my place -- buy them in bulk from Costco if/when I can...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Truvia is a Stevia sugar substitute. I think it tastes weird and don’t use it. But some people like it and cook with it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Truvia is stevia, right? To me, it tastes like metal - like I’m sucking on a spoon or something. I experimented with different artificial sweeteners when I was attempting to cut back on my sugar intake, and what I realized for me was that I’d rather have real sugar in smaller quantities less frequently than I would artificial sweeteners in larger quantities the way I used to consumer sugar.

I hate that those 7.5 oz cans of soda cost more than the 12 oz ones, but I’d rather do one of those small cans once a week than a 12 oz diet soda daily.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Truvia is stevia, right? To me, it tastes like metal - like I’m sucking on a spoon or something. I experimented with different artificial sweeteners when I was attempting to cut back on my sugar intake, and what I realized for me was that I’d rather have real sugar in smaller quantities less frequently than I would artificial sweeteners in larger quantities the way I used to consumer sugar.

I hate that those 7.5 oz cans of soda cost more than the 12 oz ones, but I’d rather do one of those small cans once a week than a 12 oz diet soda daily.
Lately I’m drinking 6-9 ounces of a 12 oz can If I have one at home. I think it’s still cheaper than buying the mini-cans.

But right now I’m watching Primal and having a no-holds barred Margarita with Agave syrup for the sugar. My diet out of the pandemic is still everything, but in better moderation. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yep. I just don’t drink sweetened beverages at all. Water or awesome, premium, fresh brewed, pure, iced or hot tea. I have connections. :P

I prefer to reserve my calories for food.
Likewise.

1664142443872.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And I’ve discovered that my theater builder did not follow my request to run projector cable in a conduit for future upgrading. They ran multiple ethernet cables. And zip-tied them and anchored them on beams.

I bought a cheap borescope to figure out what was going on and I figured it out.

season 1 nbc GIF by The Good Place

Attachments

• 70EBAEAA-7FE2-4F38-9EFF-B09A3BDFA04C.jpeg
    70EBAEAA-7FE2-4F38-9EFF-B09A3BDFA04C.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 98CC2890-E07B-4DBB-A1BB-17D4D7C6A4A5.jpeg
    98CC2890-E07B-4DBB-A1BB-17D4D7C6A4A5.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 55

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Lately I’m drinking 6-9 ounces of a 12 oz can If I have one at home. I think it’s still cheaper than buying the mini-cans.

Absolutely! Unfortunately my self discipline only extends to buying the smaller cans - if the larger one is open, I can’t seem to help myself. I think sugar might be harder to quit than nicotine!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And I’ve discovered that my theater builder did not follow my request to run projector cable in a conduit for future upgrading. They ran multiple ethernet cables. And zip-tied them and anchored them on beams.
Unfortunately, I'm not the least bit surprised. If they're not required by law to do something, they refuse to do it. I've found that is generally the case with all home related work.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I generally don't do soda cans. They're just never economical enough for me (for the home anyway). :P

Yeah, opened 2-L bottles will get stale after some time... though I'm usually able to get thru most of them before they get completely stale... plus I mix in some bit of seltzer, which helps w/ that -- I do also generally put the cap back on very tight though.

Anyway, I don't really drink much soda, except when I do get around to opening a 2-L bottle... at which point I might have something like ~10-12oz cup (mixed w/ maybe ~3-4oz seltzer) each day until it's all gone...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks