What's new

Bryston SP 1.7 or ??? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Anisman

Auditioning
Hello All-
I am new to the forum, and am relatively new to Home theater. I have a huge audio background, as I am a Television and Film Mixer, but There are so many product lines that I am completely unaware of in Home theater. Basically here's what I have right now:
Speakers: M&K 2550's (Pro Ver of the S-250's) for my L-C-R, 1525's for my Surrounds (same as ss-150). I will be purchasing a 5310 Sub (same as MX350 w balanced input stage). I have a Bryston 9BST amp to power these. What I need now is an excellent quality Preamp. I have looked at the Bryston SP 1.7, and am impressed, but I think the price is awfully steep. What else is out there? What else do you recommend? Is the 3600 for the bryston the best value for it's class of performance?
Thanks in Advance!!!

-Todd Anisman

Phil Rose

Agent
If excellent 2-channel is what you want then the Bryston will work quite nicely. If you are only concerned about DD & DTS then you have many more choices that are very good.

I went a different route and got a good 2-channel preamp with HT bypass. This allows me to use my old reliable pre/pro for DD/DTS decoding while also having a first rate pre-amp for music driving my 7BSTs.

The SP 1.7 with your 9BST will make a great system that should cover all the bases nicely. If you wish to save some $s consider a used SP 1.7 since the legendary Bryston 20 year warrant is fully transferable.

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

Your system sounds exactly like mine. I used to rep M&K and after touring skywalker and hearing them in use there, I fell in love with them. I have three MPS2510's across the front. I still use my old Tannoy System 600's for surrounds, but I'll be upgrading them to MPS1610's at some point in the future. I just bought a 5310 sub over the summer and I love it. It took some tweaking to get it just right, but it's the best sub I've heard. Keep in touch and let me know what you choose for a processor. I've been saving my pennies and the Bryston SP1.7 is definitely in the running, although it will be a little while before I can gather enough pennies for it.

Brad Woodhouse
Minneapolis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks