What's new

Marantz AV 10 - Initial Impressions (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A bit cryptic, Dave. :cool: Please elaborate.
Nothing cryptic intended. Isn’t the Cinema line, that you bought, the new Marantz receiver series, capable of the Dirac update? But on the separates side, they still only have the AV7706 successor to the 77xx line. No new updates to mirror the Cinema receiver series. I thought there was going to be a new separates refresh by now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah, right, here it is, the AV10. I was seeing it next to the AMP10 in the separates and mis-reading it as a new Amp. I knew this was out, but then was not seeing it in front of me on the website. :)

So I’m waiting / hoping for something that’s not $7000. An AV20 model or such; the 7706 to the 8806 of this new AV line.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I also wish home theater tech pricing hadn’t skyrocketed the past three years. I’m not philosophically opposed to a Dirac update that’s a separate purchase. I think that’s a reasonable approach to manage costs overall and give buyers reasonable choices.

But at the new price points…

Well, when I was a kid, Coke cost a quarter! :D

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I also wish home theater tech pricing hadn’t skyrocketed the past three years. I’m not philosophically opposed to a Dirac update that’s a separate purchase. I think that’s a reasonable approach to manage costs overall and give buyers reasonable choices.

But at the new price points…

Well, when I was a kid, Coke cost a quarter! :D
Don't we all but, honestly, in this case I'd pay the current price if it was a simple, turnkey solution and guaranteed to produce substantial, discernable improvements in my overall audio experience. Based on what I'm reading and seeing, that does not appear to be the case. Instead it seems more akin to buying into Creston or Control 4. Both potentially great systems but you need professional help or significant training to get the most out of them.

I watched the original Terminator Blu Ray last night and my system sounds pretty damn good. Is there an extra 5% or so of improvement to be had sonically? Probably, but it's just not worth all of the fuss. I'm at the point where I just want to enjoy what I have.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I expect there will be new generation pre/pros before long. Those are usually the last to be updated, and far less frequently. Marantz has updated everything else in their line, so I would expect a couple processors soon. The AV10 is above any model they've had before, so they could have two more coming to replace the 7xxx and 8xxx models.

At the moment, I guess I'm sticking with my AV7703, but when I want to update, I'll probably want to go AV10 level. I guess I want to see what Anthem comes out with, that hopefully works better than their current ones.

And yes, the prices are absurd. I suspect the new ownership is jacking up the Marantz prices. I mean, I got a refurb Cinema 60 and it still cost $900. Retail is $1,699, and that's the base model, equivalent to the 5xxx series. One silly little thing I like about all the current models is, they all seem to have soft mute. I don't know why, but soft mute is so much nicer than just clicking off and on.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Currently, the AV8805 refurb is $2K. It's not 8K, but seriously, who cares? That would be an excellent way to get into high-end separates for a deal.
Absolutely. I actually disabled 8K on my AV10 as the JVC NZ8 does a much better job when it's needed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Currently, the AV8805 refurb is $2K. It's not 8K, but seriously, who cares? That would be an excellent way to get into high-end separates for a deal.
It’s more that I can’t see in 2023 buying into a new high-end AVR or Pro-Pro at the $2000+ level (even getting a 60% refurb discount) and still being limited to Audyssey.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It’s more that I can’t see in 2023 buying into a new high-end AVR or Pro-Pro at the $2000+ level (even getting a 60% refurb discount) and still being limited to Audyssey.
But you'd gain access to the MultEQ Editor app and [I believe] even MultEQ-X Pro. The latter is $200.00 but gives you a high level of control, still for a fraction of what Dirac wants with their steep learning curve and [depending on who you listen to] dubious results. As I said, I'll likely be starting with the $20.00 app and see where it takes me. If/when Dirac grows up a bit and becomes reasonable with pricing, maybe I'll make the leap one day.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But you'd gain access to the MultEQ Editor app and [I believe] even MultEQ-X Pro. The latter is $200.00 but gives you a high level of control, still for a fraction of what Dirac wants with their steep learning curve and [depending on who you listen to] dubious results. As I said, I'll likely be starting with the $20.00 app and see where it takes me. If/when Dirac grow up a bit and becomes reasonable with pricing, maybe I'll make the leap one day.
That’s true. I’ve not followed the new Pro system lately to see what people think of it and if there are any comparisons to ARC or Dirac or other.

Rdrogan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Drogan
A couple of updates...

• I finally figured out why I wasn't able to get 8K up-conversion out of the AV10. Turns out HDR was enabled in Windows at some point on my HTPC. I assume the extra bandwidth this required limited the processors ability to up convert? Disabling it has fixed the issue.
  • I use a power-off macro to shut down the AV10 and my projector. Like many projectors, mine requires pressing the power off button twice, which is programmed into the macro and has always worked without issue. I found this wouldn't work all of a sudden and couldn't figure out why. Reviewing the changes I'd made since it stopped working I remembered switching from the Monitor 2 to the Monitor 1 HDMI output. For whatever reason, the Monitor 1 output causes the projector to not receive the 2nd power off command and the projector remains on. The AV10 powers down and goes into pass-through mode. Switching back to the Monitor 2 output resolves the issue. I never had a problem using either Monitor output with the AV7702 MKii, so I'm assuming this is somehow related to the AV10's implementation of eARC, which is only supported on the Monitor 1 output.
Haven't been able to get to any REW sweeps yet but I will soon.
Hi can you share what tablet you are using for a remote ? Also what Marco you run? Lastly , anything new on AV10? I just orders the unit. Probably overkill , but …

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi can you share what tablet you are using for a remote ? Also what Marco you run? Lastly , anything new on AV10? I just orders the unit. Probably overkill , but …
Good day!

I use a very old Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I'd love to replace it but the newer models lack the required IR emitter, which is sad.

The remote software is called Touchsquid. I don't believe it's being developed anymore but I think you can still find it out there. The free version is sufficient for most systems.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've been meaning to do this for some time now but finally got around to trying the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app.
While I use a Galaxy Tab S as my HT's remote control and have Android-based devices throughout my home, my phone is an Apple device. This is mainly due to Android's terrible in-car experience, courtesy of Android Auto. I also reasoned, my shiny new [titanium, no less] iPhone 15 Pro Max would have far more processing muscle than the antiquated Tab S.

After having read some very mixed reviews, I approached the MultEQ Editor with some trepidation. I'm happy to report, my concerns seem to have been unfounded. The app installed and ran flawlessly. Upon initial loading, [after permission was granted] it searched my network and automatically identified my Marantz AV10. It even powered it on and displayed the main speaker config page. Next I simply connected my mic and initiated a new calibration session. Once this happens the AV10 screen simply says "Your AVR is being controlled by the MultEQ Editor app."

The actual calibration is streamlined compared to what you experience running it directly from the AV10. The app bypasses a lot of the superfluous pages in the built-in setup wizard. Once the calibration [3 - 8 seating positions] is complete you're presented with the below options.

• Speaker detection results
  • Room correction settings
  • Target sound options (Enable/disable Dynamic EQ, etc.)
  • Midrange compensation (can be turned on or off)
  • Curve editor
  • MultEQ filter frequency range
  • Audyssey settings
I was able to easily limit the range of compensation to 500 Hz (not shown in the below curves) using the frequency range control and also add some DSP boost around 70 Hz to account for a known room mode I have.

IMG_7763.PNG
IMG_7764.PNG

Once I was satisfied with the results I simply uploaded them to the AV10, which took about 5 minutes. The AV10 has two speaker presets, accessible through it's menus. Uploaded correction files are stored in one of these, so you can have two easily selectable directly on the AV10 at any time. I'd assume you can have as many as you'd reasonably want stored in app and available for upload. Once uploaded, the configurations are subject to the same limitations as the built-in Audyssey system imposes, so any significant changes need to be made in the app and another upload performed.

So far anyway, I'm very pleasantly surprised with this little $20.00 powerhouse. I suspect some of the negative reviews are due to running it on substandard devices that lack sufficient processing power, or poor network connectivity. I believe this app will work with anything above the AV7703 in the Marantz line. Not sure about Denon. If you have compatible hardware, I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can the two uploaded presets be two completely different calibration runs? Like, one run for a front row and the second run against a back row? Or one run for prime seat and the other run for a row of seating?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe this app will work with anything above the AV7703 in the Marantz line. Not sure about Denon. If you have compatible hardware, I'd highly recommend it.
I believe you typed that wrong. According to the specs, it works with preamps from the AV7703 and later. Receivers are the SRxx11 series and later. So, I actually have three units it would work with. AV7703, SR7012 and Cinema 60.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Can the two uploaded presets be two completely different calibration runs? Like, one run for a front row and the second run against a back row? Or one run for prime seat and the other run for a row of seating?
Absolutely. You might even be able to have both stored locally on the processor for easy switching, depending on your model. Mine allows for two presets and you can have many more calibrations stored in the app and available for upload.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I believe you typed that wrong. According to the specs, it works with preamps from the AV7703 and later. Receivers are the SRxx11 series and later. So, I actually have three units it would work with. AV7703, SR7012 and Cinema 60.
If you're saying I should have said "inclusive of the AV7703" then, yes, I did.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I should also have mentioned, the MultEQ Editor app set both of my subs to -12 which, according to reviews, seems to be a known bug. It's a simple fix as I always level match my speakers post calibration anyway.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, does the OSD, like volume, work when viewing DV content?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks