What's new

The (Next Gen) Pre/Pro Thread (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
At an awesome age of 50, I doubt my eyes will truly be able to experience minute difference between 4K and 8K in decade or two
I've got more than a few years on you :cool: and I was actually a little surprised at what the NZ8 can do with 1080P and even native 4K content. With their pixel-shifting solution [8K e-shiftX] engaged good source material is notably sharper on my 135" screen. It's certainly not a big enough improvement to warrant an upgrade on it's own but it's there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've got more than a few years on you :cool: and I was actually a little surprised at what the NZ8 can do with 1080P and even native 4K content. With their pixel-shifting solution [8K e-shiftX] engaged good source material is notably sharper on my 135" screen. It's certainly not a big enough improvement to warrant an upgrade on it's own but it's there.
Hell, I probably got more than a few years on you.:cool: Again, this is my last upgrade, unless equipment failure as my eyes and ears do belong to a senior citizen now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just wish I was able to figure out those issues and was able to keep the receiver. Anyhow, I'm purchasing another receiver from a brand that I'm more familiar with how their equipment works which is the Yamaha RX-A8A. I should have it on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I've already downloaded its massive manual which I've been reading since yesterday.
So far none of the issues I had with the Anthem 1140 have come up with the Yamaha A8A. Connecting to my network wirelessly was a breeze. The same with their web interface.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I still can’t believe there were problems with the Anthem connecting to the WiFi network.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
All I can say is that I have had a litany of TVs and audio gear that proves "future proofing" doesn't exist.They always come up with something that requires upgrading because new hardware won't take full advantage without it. HDMI is a good example of that.

I've pretty well stopped expecting that any piece of gear purchased will ever be "future proof". There is no hatm in trying; however, either a person will eventually just be satisfied with the point they have reached and not care about the "next big thing" CE companies cook up or the "future proofed" device turns into a.paper weight.

I really thought I would not have to purchase yet another receiver or pre-pro, but a few years later I am looking at yet another piece of gear because my A3060 will not pass 4K/120. :emoji_shrug:

Really, I don't see any point in pursuing futureproofing for 8K, which is partly why I just went w/ a used AVM-60 (a couple years back) for less than 1/2 the price of a new AVM-70.

I can't even make (truly) full use of 4K (for multiple reasons) as it is, LOL... and I'm not a gamer, so don't care about 4K/120 either.

Yeah, as John noted, the AVM-60 can only provide identical dual sub outs, which isn't ideal (for dual sub setups), but if/when really needed, one could go the MiniDSP route -- I'm just running 1 (good size) sub myself, which seems plenty for me, especially given my downsized space/setup (for foreseeable future). It would also be nice to have better audio streaming support (that just DTS Play-Fi), but not actually important to me, especially now that I'm quite used to just streaming music via my ATV4K.

I expect my AVM-60 to be my last prepro... unless/until it dies. IF my hearing is still quite that good if/when it dies, maybe I'll just get a comparable replacement probably on the used/refurb market -- maybe Anthem will have resolved all the issues on the AVM-70 (or its successor) long before then... or I might just get another used AVM-60 for even less, LOL...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still can’t believe there were problems with the Anthem connecting to the WiFi network.
Perhaps, operator error, but for some reason I had zero issues getting this Yamaha receiver up and running. Also, it just wasn't the Wifi network. During the last few days, the Anthem would show connected by ethernet on their web interface, but disconnected on the receiver itself. I tried factory resetting and then loading stuff back in without success.

Anyhow, I was more prepared for this new Yamaha receiver. I watched a bunch of videos from Gene over at Audioholics. First off, Yamaha has a 450-page manual that you can easily view online and with their AV Setup Guide app which guides you through connections and a link to the owner's manual. Also, I never ethernet connected the Yamaha like I did with the Anthem in order to do the firmware update. I was able to simply connect the Yamaha wirelessly using my iPhone. I tried doing that with the Anthem, but without success. Also, I preloaded the Yamaha firmware update to a USB and updated the receiver's firmware that way.

I had an easier time setting up Yamaha's web interface not only on my iPhone and iPad, but also on my computer. The Anthem mobile app I could never get it to work in my home. I do think me having a Yamaha receiver for six years helped me in setting up the receiver, but my 3060 doesn't have a bunch of stuff currently on the A8A.

Damn, it's a pretty receiver, but my only complaint is the receiver's display is smaller than I preferred as a senior citizen. I might need to get a small pair of binoculars to see the damn thing. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Really, I don't see any point in pursuing futureproofing for 8K, which is partly why I just went w/ a used AVM-60 (a couple years back) for less than 1/2 the price of a new AVM-70.
HDR10+, if that ever becomes prevalent.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Perhaps, operator error, but for some reason I had zero issues getting this Yamaha receiver up and running.;)
That shouldn't even be a factor. There's ZERO reason for signing a device into a WiFi network to be more than select the network, log in... done. End of story.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
....and yeah, the term "future proofing" has always been absurd. Of course there is no such thing. Generally it's referring to making sure you get compatibility with a currently emerging technology.

Still, I don't see hdmi 2.1 being an issue for me. Of course, the electronics industry will find some way to make it more important for me. 8K is simply absurd as a home video format. I don't game. I don't know what they'll come up with to make it important for me, but they probably will. Just like how they stopped putting Atmos soundtracks on HD discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That shouldn't even be a factor. There's ZERO reason for signing a device into a WiFi network to be more than select the network, log in... done. End of story.
I’m telling you what happened with me and the Anthem, I don’t need a lecture from you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m telling you what happened with me and the Anthem, I don’t need a lecture from you.
Why on earth do you think I'm lecturing you? I'm expressing that it is unacceptable that any device isn't astoundingly easy to connect to WiFi.

Just a suggestion, but it might be productive to stop assuming I'm always making some kind of passive aggressive attack.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a suggestion, but it might be productive to stop assuming I'm always making some kind of passive aggressive attack.
That’s how I took your comment. If I was mistaken then I apologize then. After an all-nighter, I just woke up so my brain might not be functioning properly.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
... I don't know what they'll come up with to make it important for me, but they probably will. Just like how they stopped putting Atmos soundtracks on HD discs.
Did they really stop adding Atmos to HD Blurays? I have not purchased any Blurays recently( within a year), I did buy a few with both 4k and HD edition but did not look into the details on the box...
HDR10+, if that ever becomes prevalent.
Splitting hairs between formats, again something for electronic makers to sell equipment, ( Apparently Samsung and Amazon stand behind HDR+) and make upgrades, atht might be trivial, and then again, if disc and TV/projector have both Dolby vision, what is the point of HDR -/+....
I guess going route of HDMI 2.1 chain makes us as future resistant ( if not future proof) as possible...
HDR10HDR10+Dolby Vision
Bit DepthGoodGreatGreat
Peak Brightness MinimumGoodGoodGreat
Peak Brightness MaximumExcellentExcellentExcellent
Tone MappingGoodBetterBest
MetadataStaticDynamicDynamic
TV SupportAmazingGoodGreat
Content AvailabilityBestGreatExcellent

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I so much hate that even higher end MCH pre/pros have loads of analog connectivity and excessive channels that I've NO NEED FOR, much less should have to pay for. And I prefer to do my room correction via pc, from where I also play my BDs and DVDs. So no, I'm hardly ashamed of my allegiance to the "ancient and dying"optical disc. My collection is huge and what I don't yet own or want enough to own the regional public library system has it. What I need is a straight 8 channel DAC with balanced outputs and ample output voltage to offset gain losses from DIRAC Live 3, Audiolense or other room correction software. Can't find anything like that in consumer hardware. I'll probably have to go with some pro audio box with a USB audio input and balanced outputs, like the MOTU 8A, which I think is at least partially remote controllable via iPhone, and use my wireless keyboard and mouse for the rest of the JRiver transport functions. Though even the MOTU has ADCs (EIGHT, of course) which I DON'T need and no SPDIF coax input-which I DO need. This should have been a roll your own MCH pre/pro world a long time ago.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Jumping in here to note that as far as future proofing goes the 8k inputs are waaaaaaaay more valuable for 4K 120 gaming than for 8k native at ANY refresh rate.
Sure, but is it not fair to append "as of today" to your comment? Again, I wouldn't make proactive purchases based on HDMI 2.1 but any reactive purchase I make will definitely consider it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sure, but is it not fair to append "as of today" to your comment? Again, I wouldn't make proactive purchases based on HDMI 2.1 but any reactive purchase I make will definitely consider it.
Certainly, which is also why, despite what I said, I'm still not buying a new component today that doesn't have hdmi 2.1. That's the reality of it. So, append my post with that.

I'm moving too fast, and didn't realize that wasn't even quoting me. My mind isn't functioning all that well lately
:cool:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For what it's worth, I had problems getting my 1140's wifi working as well. It turns out I forgot to attached the antennae and the device absolutely doesn't work without them. I'm not saying this was Robert's problem: more of a story about how much of a dunce I was in setting things up. I've also read other first hand testimonials elsewhere on the internet about how the MRX line has issues with wifi. To echo John Rice's comment, that's pretty unacceptable these days.

Personally, I just hard wire everything in my theatre except my Apple TV (because the wireless connection is faster than the wired!). All of my consoles and my receiver are hard wired. I keep my Panasonic UB9000 unconnected except to update firmware.

Still, hard wiring shouldn't be the answer. Every device should be exceedingly simple to connect to wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks