What's new

Marantz AV 10 - Initial Impressions (2 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Assuming by "DV" you mean Dolby Vision? I can't say with certainty because [as a projector owner] I never actually do that but I can't see why it wouldn't.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Assuming by "DV" you mean Dolby Vision? I can't say with certainty because [as a projector owner] I never actually do that but I can't see why it wouldn't.
Yea, Dolby Vision. It occurred to me you probably don't use that in your HT. My other units (SR7012, AV7703) can't superimpose the OSD over an image. I'm guessing that's no longer the case with current ones, but the Cinema 60 I have is in the bedroom, which isn't a 4K setup, so I can't tell with it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My other units (SR7012, AV7703) can't superimpose the OSD over an image.

In the case of the AV7703 [and likely the SR7012 as well] it most certainly can. If you're not able to see the OSD over a moving image it's probably due to your video conversion and/or IP scaler settings. Video conversion must be enabled to use the OSD.

See pages 196 and 295

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the case of the AV7703 [and likely the SR7012 as well] it most certainly can. If you're not able to see the OSD over a moving image it's probably due to your video conversion and/or IP scaler settings. Video conversion must be enabled to use the OSD.

See pages 196 and 295
I don't want to get into an argument, but those units cannot superimpose the OSD over a live image with a DV signal. It can with all others, including HDR10. DV capability was added with a firmware update after they were introduced, so nothing in the manual actually applies to DV.

With them, you can technically see the OSD with a DV image, but it blacks out the live image to show it. They do not, however, display volume changes. I do know this is detailed in supplemental info regarding the addition of DV to those units.

In fact, I forgot there was a thread here on HTF regarding this. Look at post #6 for the explanation from Sound United.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't want to get into an argument, but those units cannot superimpose the OSD over a live image with a DV signal. It can with all others, including HDR10. DV capability was added with a firmware update after they were introduced, so nothing in the manual actually applies to DV.

With them, you can technically see the OSD with a DV image, but it blacks out the live image to show it. They do not, however, display volume changes. I do know this is detailed in supplemental info regarding the addition of DV to those units.

In fact, I forgot there was a thread here on HTF regarding this. Look at post #6 for the explanation from Sound United.
You don't need to worry about that with me. Arguments require two participants I I don't choose to expend my limited energy that way. My comments regarding the OSD were only intended for general 4K content. I have zero experience with Dolby Vision but it sounds like something Marantz should definitely fix.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My comments regarding the OSD were only intended for general 4K content. I have zero experience with Dolby Vision but it sounds like something Marantz should definitely fix.
I was discussing DV, but now I realize I didn't specify that in the sentence you responded to.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I was discussing DV, but now I realize I didn't specify that in the sentence you responded to.
Likewise, I knew you were discussing Dolby Vision before and should have inferred what you were attempting to convey.
These days I rarely have the luxury of focusing on a single issue.

Sad Happy Hour GIF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Likewise, I knew you were discussing Dolby Vision before and should have inferred what you were attempting to convey.
These days I rarely have the luxury of focusing on a single issue.

Sad Happy Hour GIF
Aren’t you supposed to be sort of retired?

babarrun

Auditioning
Real Name
b l
hi, i have the cinema av10 and configured it using audyssey. i do want to enable dirac in the highest available config. i have a umik mic. in the past i have done a remote calibration with terry however he said he is unable to do it currently until he familiarizes himself with the system.
is it easy to do myself? i am not very adept at playing with curves and. wondering if i can do this in an automated way. thank you.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
hi, i have the cinema av10 and configured it using audyssey. i do want to enable dirac in the highest available config. i have a umik mic. in the past i have done a remote calibration with terry however he said he is unable to do it currently until he familiarizes himself with the system.
is it easy to do myself? i am not very adept at playing with curves and. wondering if i can do this in an automated way. thank you.
Hello and welcome,

I don't know who "Terry" is but, if you've trusted his/her work in the past, I'd think it makes sense to wait. I haven't played with Dirac personally but everything I've come across in my research suggests at least a moderate learning curve. Dirac in the Marantz line is also in it's infancy and appears to have some bugs, which might be another good reason to wait.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s a user-made script to automatically do a bunch of Audyssey stuff to optimize applying your measured corrections. Jump to about 2:30 into the video, and read the “About” section for the video for info. (It requires a newer Marantz supporting the Audyssey app. So I can’t try it on my older 7702mkII.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Jump to about 31:30. They recommend buying MultiEQ-X if you’ve got an AV10, and not use Audyssey mobile app if you’re taking the time to run room correction on a $7000 processor. There are some passing comments too on tweaking Audyssey to get best results from it.

(Also some great discussion comparing features and quirks of Anthem v Marantz.)

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium

Jump to about 31:30. They recommend buying MultiEQ-X if you’ve got an AV10, and not use Audyssey mobile app if you’re taking the time to run room correction on a $7000 processor. There are some passing comments too on tweaking Audyssey to get best results from it.

I use MultiEQ-X in my setup that has the Marantz SR8015. It is head and shoulders above what you can do with the mobile app. However there is a learning curve but it is well worth it. I will also say that since I put an AVM90 in my main theater, I concur that achieving similar results with ARC is much simpler.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Traveling but I've been reserving this for the upcoming return flight.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

This made for great viewing while waiting for my flight, as expected. I wish Gene and Theo had gone into greater detail regarding this recommendation. What they did say [learning curve, etc.] regarding Dirac and Audyssey MultEQ X are the exact reasons I've avoided them. Why pay more if it just means hours of my time spent "tweaking" in hopes of barely perceptible sonic improvements?

That said, I'll be taking a closer look at the Audyssey product. :D

Robert Saccone

Premium
This made for great viewing while waiting for my flight, as expected. I wish Gene and Theo had gone into greater detail regarding this recommendation. What they did say [learning curve, etc.] regarding Dirac and Audyssey MultEQ X are the exact reasons I've avoided them. Why pay more if it just means hours of my time spent "tweaking" in hopes of barely perceptible sonic improvements?

Theo has 2 in depth videos on the Anthem.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Theo has 2 in depth videos on the Anthem.
I briefly owned the AVM70, so I'm more or less familiar with their current platform. I posted detailed thoughts earlier in this thread but, basically, I feel Anthem needs a [much] better UI and remote. I also found Arc Genesis a bit buggy but, hopefully, that's been sorted by now.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I briefly owned the AVM70, so I'm more or less familiar with their current platform. I posted detailed thoughts earlier in this thread but, basically, I feel Anthem needs a [much] better UI and remote. I also found Arc Genesis a bit buggy but, hopefully, that's been sorted by now.
I recall your experiences with the AVM70. Fortunately I've had no issues with the AVM90 and Genesis. In fact it's been a wonderful addition to my system. However over at the AVSForum you can find many people who have had various issues with both of them as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

We need you buy the Audyssey expansion and figure it out and report back if it is not "barely perceptible sonic improvements" but in fact rather substantial as the video guys suggest. You have to do this. For Science. For HTF. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks