What's new

Anthem AVM 70 - Initial Impressions (3 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here's a guy I respect having issues with this processor.

Holy crap. It fried a speaker and an amp?!?

As he noted, "user error" (as some programmers might euphemistically call it)... :eek:

As I seem to recall, didn't John D (or maybe someone else) mention earlier this exact concern/issue w/ that particular calibration UI as well?

That's one nasty snafu in UI design/usability for sure...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As he noted, "user error" (as some programmers might euphemistically call it)... :eek:

As I seem to recall, didn't John D (or maybe someone else) mention earlier this exact concern/issue w/ that particular calibration UI as well?

That's one nasty snafu in UI design/usability for sure...

_Man_
Yes, and it seems like it should be a simple fix. I don't know why it hasn't been done previously. They just need to redesign the layout so that the + button isn't right next to maximum volume, or eliminate the ability to directly jump to maximum volume.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For what it's worth, I think this was partially fixed in a firmware update. See the notes at https://anthemav.com/support/change_log.php?version=2.2.203

From the link, in firmware version 73 (a few versions ago), it "[f]ixed an issue where speaker level calibration offset underflows could lead to max volume being used for the speaker".

Also looks like there have been some general wi-fi improvements. Probably still bad though. I think I'm on the latest version.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just did a similar thing with the Cambridge CXN v2 streamer/DAC I just got. Fortunately I didn't fry anything. I also made it so that shouldn't happen again, but when I was using the app, I was on a page with a volume control slider, not realizing that the volume buttons on the iPad itself also adjusted the volume within the app.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I am out for a processor (or receiver for budget reasons) to use with my existing Classe AMP2+AMP5 and Oppo Sonica DAC.

I planning a 5.x.2 or 7.x.2 channel atmos probably build around B&W 7 s2 series that I will be buying soon. It will be used 50/50 for music (electronic + jazz) and movies.

I have mostly used separates in the past (my last configuration was; the B&W N802+NHTM1 driven by Classe SSP-300 and the Classe CA-M600 monos and the AMP5) and was trying to find a reasonable processor with Atmos but the prices are above my budget where I live.

Someone told me I could buy an AVR and not use their amplifiers, just use the pre-outs, and that the interior parts of the Arcam AV40 and AVR10; and also Anthem AVM70 and MRX540 are the same, including the DACs, with only minor differences in specs. Is that true? Is it only the power supply load and maybe some interference disadvantage with the receivers? Do you think I would be able to hear the difference?

Which of these models would match better with my Class D Classe`s?
I have an Anthem AVM90 and am really loving how it sounds. Prior to that I used my Marantz SR8015 in what is called pre-amp mode where I shutdown all the internal amps and just used it as a preamp. If you are interested in doing that some of the Denon and Marantz AVRs of the current gen support that feature as well. Some (probably the Denon flagship) will let you turn off the amps individually. The SR8015 would only allow for turning them all of at once.
I am using ATI class D amps in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks