What's new

The (Next Gen) Pre/Pro Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Josh, the first thing I did once a placed the 1140 into the rack was attach both antennae. I'm not that far gone.:)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Josh, the first thing I did once a placed the 1140 into the rack was attach both antennae. I'm not that far gone.:)
One step ahead of me! I won't reveal how many minutes I spent troubleshooting before noticing my error (too many).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Really, I don't see any point in pursuing futureproofing for 8K, which is partly why I just went w/ a used AVM-60 (a couple years back) for less than 1/2 the price of a new AVM-70.
_Man_
Yes. And what @Sam Posten said. Which is why I'd get it, because when it's time to upgrade for me again, any gaming I do will surely use 4K 120.

But also, it's now moot. "8K" is the standard and you get whether you want it. It only matters in 2023 if you're considering buying used or prior model-year hardware.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it is funny how there was a litany of complaints (not you) about having to pay extra for 3D that was not going to be used, but, hey, paying extra for an 8K function that is functionally useless, unless they want to game using 4000 dollar PCs, is A-okay. :lol:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think it is funny how there was a litany of complaints (not you) about having to pay extra for 3D that was not going to be used, but, hey, paying extra for an 8K function that is functionally useless, unless they want to game using 4000 dollar PCs, is A-okay. :lol:
At the risk of being redundant, HDR10+ also requires HDMI 2.1. I also [respectfully] see no constructive value in this comment.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Really, I don't see any point in pursuing futureproofing for 8K, which is partly why I just went w/ a used AVM-60 (a couple years back) for less than 1/2 the price of a new AVM-70.
Forgot to ask before but does the AVM60's implementation of ARC Genesis include sub alignment?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At the risk of being redundant, HDR10+ also requires HDMI 2.1. I also [respectfully] see no constructive value in this comment.
Not a lot of content uses HDR10+. It was just an observation about how much complaining there was about having to pay extra for a feature that actually had content for it versus how little complaining there is about paying extra for a feature that has little to no native 8K content. The usefulness of HDMI 2.1 as a feature is a completely different subject than that of 8K.

Personally, I wouldn't complain about paying extra for 8K even though it is more functionally useless than 3D ever was, but then I never complained about having to pay extra for 3D, even though for quite awhile I heve really used it.

I guess being able to upscale to 8K may make sense if a person is one of the fortunate few who have room for 140"+ screens and like to sit really close. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those. The biggest screen I could run is 116" and that would require me to use in wall speakers and use up almost the width of my puny 10'-5" basement rumpus room. Either that or build a false wall 3' in, effectively reducing the 18'-1" length to 15', and putting box speakers on a plinth behind the screen. Not sure what a room 15' x 10'5" x 7'7" would do to the sound dynamics.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'll care about HDR10+ if that ever actually becomes a real, prevalent thing *and* I actually end up w/ a PJ that can make real use of it (vs basicallly tonemapping all the benefits of such to nothingness, LOL)...

I haven't done amy actual calcs, but my back-of-the-napkin guesstimate is any under-$10K PJ I can buy this year, if I would even actually spend that much to upgrade from my Epson 5050UB anytime soon, would probably only really tonemap the heck out of the source down to the equiv of HDR5 or so NVM making full use of HDR10... and forget about HDR10+ (or DV), LOL...

So I really don't care about HDR10+ for my FP setup just as I wouldn't care about DV... at least until/unless I can actually upgrade to a 120"-plus display that can come close to outputting those natively (ie. w/out much tonemapping and DR compression)... probably more comparable to the latest OLED tech. And yeah, I'd have to be able to afford whatever that is, ie. most likelly need to cost no more than $5-8K and be my final/end-game upgrade. :P

But near as I can tell, HDR10+ would probably never become a real thing anyway...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not a lot of content uses HDR10+. It was just an observation about how much complaining there was about having to pay extra for a feature that actually had content for it versus how little complaining there is about paying extra for a feature that has little to no native 8K content. The usefulness of HDMI 2.1 as a feature is a completely different subject than that of 8K.

Personally, I wouldn't complain about paying extra for 8K even though it is more functionally useless than 3D ever was, but then I never complained about having to pay extra for 3D, even though for quite awhile I heve really used it.

I guess being able to upscale to 8K may make sense if a person is one of the fortunate few who have room for 140"+ screens and like to sit really close. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those. The biggest screen I could run is 116" and that would require me to use in wall speakers and use up almost the width of my puny 10'-5" basement rumpus room. Either that or build a false wall 3' in, effectively reducing the 18'-1" length to 15', and putting box speakers on a plinth behind the screen. Not sure what a room 15' x 10'5" x 7'7" would do to the sound dynamics.
Well, I doubt any of us in this particular thread ever complained about paying extra for 3-D so your comments in that regard are not germane to this particular thread.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
..., effectively reducing the 18'-1" length to 15', and putting box speakers on a plinth behind the screen. Not sure what a room 15' x 10'5" x 7'7" would do to the sound dynamics.
That would not be too much off what I have 15x12'10"x7'6". First row with excellent sound and back row, half foot of the back wall, with great sound for casual TV/sports. With overall notable improvement since I incorporated AVM60. So, you might have achance to increase screen and in far future see if HDR10+ is worth the hype :)
Granted, I am still on HD and plan to upgrade to what appears 4K eshifted sometime this year.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not a lot of content uses HDR10+
As of today that's obviously the case but it may not always be.
It was just an observation about how much complaining there was about having to pay extra for a feature that actually had content for it versus how little complaining there is about paying extra for a feature that has little to no native 8K content. The usefulness of HDMI 2.1 as a feature is a completely different subject than that of 8K.
I hear you and you had every right to make the observation. I think @Robert Crawford also makes a good point in that, you probably wouldn't find the folks contributing to this particular thread complaining about either.

This is an enthusiast forum but, within that scope there are still many levels and categories of enthusiast. For example, my film collection pales in comparison to many here as do the aesthetics of my room. When it comes to hardware, however, I always want the best I can reasonably afford.

I just watched one of my favorite old school films, Slapshot, on my new JVC NZ8 and was amazed at how good even poorly sourced standard DVD's could be presented. Enabling 8K e-ShiftX didn't seem to make a noticeable difference with that film but it certainly did with the John Wick films I watched before.

In the end, since I am building my long term system to take me into retirement, I just don't want to be caught with a weak link in my "chain" when that one "killer" feature requiring 8K or HDMI 2.1 is introduced.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess being able to upscale to 8K may make sense if a person is one of the fortunate few who have room for 140"+ screens and like to sit really close. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those..

Our eyes (or at least mine anyway :lol:) definitely aren't getting any younger to see 8K rez... and I can't fully resolve 4K rez (w/ my 120" screen from ~10ft) as is either, which is why I decided it was fine to just go w/ the (faux-K) Epson 5050UB 3 years ago.

I do wonder though if a good 8K display (w/ appropriate processing) can yield better effective/apparent color/DR fidelity than a similarly good 4K one... since most displays, especially PJs, aren't quite that perfect at color/DR fidelity. But probably none of that should need the prepro to handle 8K though. At most, one would get a video processor that could do such processing/conversion (from 4K-or-lower to 8K) in between the prepro and display.

Indeed, I wonder if what @John Dirk just mentioned above about his JVC's 8K e-shift's handling of some recent 4K content is benefiting in that way (via whatever processing JVC is doing)...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've started a few different threads. When I start with projectors we veer towards receivers and pre/pro's. When I start with receivers and pre/pro's we veer back to projectors. :cool: It's just a funny observation.

I do wonder though if a good 8K display (w/ appropriate processing) can yield better effective/apparent color/DR fidelity than a similarly good 4K one..
You're right. 8K isn't what you're really looking for, it's the processing and JVC has the best I've ever seen in a projector. If they offered a current laser model with similar specs as the NZ8, minus the 8K portion for a lower price, I'd probably have chosen it. Epson is awesome, given the price point too.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've started a few different threads. When I start with projectors we veer towards receivers and pre/pro's. When I start with receivers and pre/pro's we veer back to projectors. :cool: It's just a funny observation.

You're right. 8K isn't what you're really looking for, it's the processing and JVC has the best I've ever seen in a projector. If they offered a current laser model with similar specs as the NZ8, minus the 8K portion for a lower price, I'd probably have chosen it. Epson is awesome, given the price point too.
Staying on topic is mostly a theoretical concept.

Anyway, I was hoping to consolidate the movie and music parts of my HT, but I guess that isn’t going to happen yet. At least not at a rational price. So I broke down and ordered a decent streamer/dac. I‘m still using an Oppo BR player and external dac to play back HD music, but it’s glitchy. This is along with an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp that integrates in a surround system like the Anthem preamp George has, but without a built-in dac.

I’m going to hope I like the Cambridge CXN v2, because my other choice was the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition, which is rather $$$.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Staying on topic is mostly a theoretical concept.

Anyway, I was hoping to consolidate the movie and music parts of my HT, but I guess that isn’t going to happen yet.
I'm more or less forced to consolidate my music and film experience as my wife isn't going to allow that level of noise [we call it immersion] anywhere other than my dedicated room. If I had the option I'd definitely separate the two.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm more or less forced to consolidate my music and film experience as my wife isn't going to allow that level of noise [we call it immersion] anywhere other than my dedicated room. If I had the option I'd definitely separate the two.
It’s one room. One set of speakers. Just that music is played back with some different electronics than video sources.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It’s one room. One set of speakers. Just that music is played back with some different electronics than video sources.
I understood that but was saying, since you theoretically could have separate rooms, there is a certain level of envy on my side.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Yes, my wife complains of my overall immersion even when I listen to music on open back planar headphones through Dragonfly DAC... that is my only other non- HT music setup. Plan to use DAC in AVM60 for music ( either through PlayFi or analog input and SACDs)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So about 5 months after parting with the Anthem AVM70 I'm the [cautiously] proud owner of a shiny new Marantz AV10. I'm fairly certain me and the AV10 will have a long and fruitful relationship but there's always a level of trepidation that goes into a large and complex purchase like this. I'll be chronicling my experience in this thread but wanted to at least provide a single update here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks