What's new

Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum (2 Viewers)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Interesting news. I haven't been on here for ages for one reason or another so this came as a bit of a surprise. Anyway, welcome to the new owners, and all the best going forward.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Well this is news!

I have appreciated this forum as a member for 24 years (hard to believe)! Though I don't post a lot, I do visit often to read, while only occasionally commenting or asking questions. Most often I visit to rely on the wisdom and insights posted by other distinguished members. I'm sure there are plenty others like me, who appreciate & rely on the content and discussion, alongside more active and expert members.

Under Ron's ownership it has been and remains a unique forum and resource - no other is like this one. Where else can you ask questions and get frank and informative replies from those actually involved in the industry and on video or film production & restoration teams?

It is the ONLY web site forum or social media where I use something so close to my actual real name ... that's thanks to Ron and the excellent team of moderators who create & maintain the reputation this site has built up for respectful and serious discussion.

I'm glad to hear the new owners intend to make no major changes and will keep the fantastic moderators and keep working with Ron going forward.

Don't know what more to say - you've purchased an important resource to the Home Theater (and film, video etc) loving community. I echo Tino's good suggestion: "... to not fix what isn’t broken."

Best wishes & good luck for continued curatorship of this unique forum!

Last edited:

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Welcome guys and good luck! Just wondering if this change has anything to do with why I suddenly stopped getting email from Home Theatre Forum.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Welcome guys and good luck! Just wondering if this change has anything to do with why I suddenly stopped getting email from Home Theatre Forum.
Great question, but no, it's actually unrelated.

The email software HTF has used for years was phased out around the same time we bought the site. Developers are working on a replacement, which we are helping fund, but it's not quite ready. But emails should be up and running again shortly.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, I'm glad the previous owners finally declined that offer of a mr. Musk (who then decided to go elsewhere definitely) and chose for Colin and Jonathan. At least the Moderator Staff didn't get halved now.

I'm sure this forum will stay as great as it has always been.

Cees

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Exactly. Glad I don’t use Shitter….erm..Twitter.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and the network runs just as well without 80% of the dead weight. 🤷‍♂️

Didn't even realize new owners were on board, that's a good thing. Welcome.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Great question, but no, it's actually unrelated.

The email software HTF has used for years was phased out around the same time we bought the site. Developers are working on a replacement, which we are helping fund, but it's not quite ready. But emails should be up and running again shortly.
Any update on when the regular email will start again?

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
In the last couple days I noticed a disturbing change in the type of ads on this site: ads that pop up or hover and otherwise obscure the content of the web page. These significantly cheapen the look and detract from the credibility of the forum. I never encountered these types of ads at hometheaterforum.com in my memory over decades of forum participation. I don’t have an ad-free account, and have always seen banner ads or ads that are paced in or around the page, but never the popping up over content.

I strongly urge the new owners to please avoid having that kind of ad in the forum.

I don’t know how many respond the same as I, but I regularly avoid web sites with those kinds of ads, so those ads actually reduce web traffic at least by people like me.

The ads I’m referring to often require a click on an X to close the ad in order to see the web page content it obscures, or they hover over a portion of the web content and stay in view as you scroll, constantly obscuring a portion of the page. Adding to the annoying, degrading (to web site quality and credibility) nature of these ads are those types of hovering ads that also have video and sound, making it nearly impossible to pay attention to the forum discussion or reviews. I encountered these types of ads here yesterday. And just now, before posting this, a pop up completely blocked the page until I shut it. I don’t know what was advertised because all I noticed was that it was annoying and I needed to shut it.

I’d hate to say goodbye after all these years of enjoying this forum, so please consider your ads policy and not allow obstructing pop ups and hovering ads. Thank you!

Doug

Jonathan

Owner
Real Name
Jonathan
In the last couple days I noticed a disturbing change in the type of ads on this site: ads that pop up or hover and otherwise obscure the content of the web page. These significantly cheapen the look and detract from the credibility of the forum. I never encountered these type of ads at hometheaterforum.com in my memory over decades of forum participation. I don’t have an ad-free account, and have always seen banner ads or ads that are paced in or around the page, but never the popping up over content.

I strongly urge the new owners to please avoid having that kind of ad in the forum.

I don’t know how many respond the same as I, but I regularly avoid web sites with those kinds of ads, so those ads actually reduce web traffic at least by people like me.

The ads I’m referring to often require a click on an X to close the ad in order to see the web page content it obscures, or they hover over a portion of the web content and stay in view as you scroll, constantly obscuring a portion of the page. Adding to the annoying, degrading (to web site quality and credibility) nature of these ads are those types of hovering ads that also have video and sound, making it nearly impossible to pay attention to the forum discussion or reviews. I encountered these types of ads here yesterday. And just now, before posting this. a pop up completely blocked the page until I shut it. I don’t know what was advertised because all I noticed was that it was annoying and I needed to shut it.

I’d hate to say goodbye after all these years of enjoying this forum, so please consider your ads policy and not allow obstructing pop ups and hovering ads. Thank you!

Doug
Hey Doug,

At this point, we haven't made any changes to the ads on the site.

Could you message me a screenshot of what you are seeing? It seems that either something changed with our ad provider, in which case I'll reach out to them, or something may be wrong with the device you are using.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t been able to login on my iPhone today.
When I try to login it says I’m already logged in.
I am not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
094255C4-A1E1-4454-882E-B2C51B65A239.jpeg
41E22562-5AAC-4B87-A56E-A789E2A28428.jpeg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also I’m guessing that why I see those pop up ads that are covering the entire screen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks