What's new

Any Bryston SP 1.7 Owners Out There? (1 Viewer)

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
I'm saving my money for a new pre/pro and my local HT salesman that I trust very much has recommended the Bryston SP1.7. I'm intrigued, and I'll have to save for a while to get up to that level, so I'd like any pros/cons from Bryston SP 1.7 owners out there. I don't mind the lack of video switching since I'll likely buy a plasma in a couple years with switching built in. I like the analog bypass making it an analog pre in two channel mode, but does the sub out work in that mode? I have an M&K speaker system and I have to use the sub, so if the sub out doesn't work in two channel mode, that would be a drawback. I could use a direct pre out and set my speakers to large, but that would deprive me of saving sub settings as I'd have to change my sub levels manually. Any other information SP 1.7 owners have would be great.

Brad Woodhouse
Edina, MN

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brad,

The Bryston SP-1 has an option to route a copy of the signals that are sent to the mains also to the subwoofer. The SP1.7 manual has a section in the table of contents stating the same thing, but I don't see the text within the SP1.7 manual itself.

Realize that this option is for a full-range copy of the mains to be sent to the subwoofer, so some sort of crossover is needed, either the sub's or through an external crossover. There isn't a sub crossover within the SP-1/SP1.7 that works in analog bypass mode.

Michael

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I own an M&K MPS-5310 (pro version of the MX-350) and it has a variable low pass filter, so that won't be a problem. Do you own the 1.7? If so, how has it worked for you?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brad,

No, I don't own the SP1.7, but I was looking to purchase it a little over a year ago, so I was investigating it and auditioning the SP-1.

The only problem I see with setting the sub's crossover is that you will also affect the sub's bass when you are in DD5.1 or DTS modes. I am not sure what the right answer is here.

Michael

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Normally I wouldn't be a fan of sending a full range signal to my sub as I may want to cross it over at different spots for different inputs. In this instance though, my M&K powered speakers have an 80Hz high pass filter that I use all the time. After some experimenting, I find that it sounds best this way for both HT and music so my sub low pass will always stay the same. The most important thing for me is the ability to have different sub levels for music and HT formats without having to crawl behind the sub and adjust the output level manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks