What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic...Announced! (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
I need to stop reading these forums. I always end up watching this whenever I catch it on the Sci-Fi channel and now you guys are making me thinking seriously about picking this up! Stop it!!! :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess, but I would say YES!

I always thought that when they found Earth, it would be a futuristic version since they were all supposed to be descendants of the lost 13th Colony.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Some may not enjoy it...I dunno.

I am on a nostalgia trip with this and the release of the Indiana Jones Trilogy this week. I saw Raiders 36 times at the theater and am amazed at how well it holds up (but that is for another thread)...

Part of the allure of the show for so many after so many years is the fact that it only lasted one season.

With the original Star Wars trilogy we speculated in our heads about what the prequels would be like for years before they were ever made.

With Battlestar Galactica we continue to speculate about what might have happened had the show lasted longer...what sort of dangers they may have encountered...how long it may have actually taken them to get to Earth...etc. (Note: Obviously, they made it to Earth in Galactica 80, but I really don't consider that to be a legitimate part of the Galactica mythos...)

There is a certain joy in not knowing what might have happened. It is fun to let the imagination run wild and ponder the possibilities.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
A question for all you guys that picked up the galactica set. So far ive watched everything on disc1 and enjoyed it very much, i was just looking at 2 of the later discs and they seem to have a different color !!Meaning that instead of the silver color , they are a light gold.As soon as i saw that, i popped those discs in the player and scanned through the chapters, to check for any potential problems. They seemed to play fine. Is this normal for the dvds to have that color ? I honestlly never seen dvds look like that, the reason it caught my eye is because 2 out of those 6 dvds ,had that different color that i mentioned .

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Tony, that's a DVD-14. Single-layer on one side, Dual-layer on the other side.

As opposed to a DVD-18, which is Dual-layer on both sides.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Wow, thanks for the heads up David.Thats my first boxset that have dvds in that fashion,for a minute there i thought i might have to return them,how embarrassing.:b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You obviously don't own the MGM release of Mad Max, I take it? :D

There are others, but that example just popped right into my mind! ;)

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just watched the pilot episode and I have these comments to say:

1.) Well edited. I couldn't tell where commercials would go. There were no pauses or fades to black that I noticed.

2.) Dirty film. The transfer was a 6 out of 10, but it seemed to be fairly clear and crisp. Space shots of the Galactica never looked better.

3.) Special effects looked great. A few matte lines are visible (maybe my TV is too bright), but overall great job for TV.

4.) Dirk, Richard, and Herbert don't really know how to do a commentary the way I enjoy it, but it was still entertaining and educational (what they did mention). Too bad they couldn't/didn't get the rest of the surviving cast to join in.

5.) Maybe it was the fact that I was listening to the commentary track and not the original or the 5.1 audio, but some movie audio seemed to have music or background sounds overpowering the dialogue at times. Did anyone just watch the "movie" in their theatre without the commentary? How did it sound?

5.) Missing scenes were interspersed seamlessly. I almost didn't notice them (and I know the "movie" premiere inside and out). I haven't seen them since the premiere in 1978.

6.) Deleted scenes were good to see, and, as usual, they needed to stay deleted (Anthem scene was God-awful {pun intended or not}, but I know that was studio audio and never mastered).

7.) One deleted scene was a special effects shot of Zac getting blown up. I liked it better than what was used. It gave you a better idea of how close Zac really was to "being safe". I heard they had to trash a lot of special effects because they kept changing the script, etc. I wonder how many other shots there are?

8.) I think there are actually more scenes that could have been inserted because I've seen them in syndication and "tele-movies". Too bad they didn't make it back in or get put in the extras section.

9.) The lenticular cylon eye is a piece or crap. Only because I know what the eye is supposed to do can I detect a hint of movement. It's almost like they forgot to put the proper image behind the lenticular lens.

10.) The huge cylon head should be detachable from the packaging. I'll probably store it separately from the rest of the set because of shelf space. Cool though.

11.) I also watched the "Remembering Galactica" documentary at the end of the last disc. Fantastic. It seems that Universal has a TON of footage never before seen or used. Those 45 minutes of scenes and interviews were great to see. I will probably watch it again.

Overall, definitely worth the $54 I paid (thanks, Amazon!). I'll prize it highly until a HDTV version comes out (yeah, right!). I guess this is the ultimate set to own for Galactica fans as I can't forsee much more coming from universal unless someone with internet connections is able to get into their vaults and "borrow" the archived footage for all to see.

Does anyone else have anything relevant to add? Agree/Disagree?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Now you guys got me curious about this "Anthem"scene. Can't wait for my set to arrive next week...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My BG covers are now available for download, from my site.

note: That shot of the original digipak came from the back page attached to the big box. It showed BG on the spine... which isn't really there, so I had to cover it up when I showed an example of it on my site! BTW, it also shows disc art on the discs!

Here's the back page if you want to get a look at it.

Ric

mark-edk

Second Unit
Regarding differences between the "movie" and the pilot versions of SoaSW:

Almost everything you want to see is in the 3-hour pilot. However, there are several scenes in the movie that do not appear in the pilot; I'd estimate maybe a couples minutes worth. That's why I'm not discarding the "movie" DVD.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Can anyone confirm whether the movie version is still nonanamorphic? I'll just keep the old one if that's the case.

This was the first Galactica I ever saw when it was shown theatrically in Canada. Needless to say, the TV premiere was a bit of a shock for a young space cowboy.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I saw the the "theatrical" version of the pilot at a theatre in the Washington DC area in glorious Sensaround. But the coolest part was a Cylon patrolling the front of the theatre.

Despite the mostly pleasent memories of the series I am still debating getting the box. The effects, for the time, were first rate, most of the ships were way cool with the exception of the Viper which looked too much like a conventional 1950's era Sabre fighter jet. But my biggest gripe was some of the horrible cost cutting. The episode with Lloyd Bridges showed his Battlestar firing off a super missile that was just stock footage of a Saturn V shown sideways. It really bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks