What's new

Did anyone purchase "Lost in Space - the complete classic series"? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Similar thing happened with Gilligan's Island being cancelled after three seasons and the castaways still stranded on the island.

(Not to go too far off topic).

The post-series movie where they're back in civilization, seemed like a completely different "show".

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Not odd at all... it was typical Hollywood thinking they could easily cash in on Boomer nostalgia with movies based on popular TV series of those years. However, they failed to get good scripts to go with those products.
One exception was the Harrison Ford/Tommy Lee Jones remake of The Fugitive. That was smashing, exceptionally well done and was even nominated for seven academy awards, including Best Picture.

I liked the Lost in Space movie, but I was one of 8 people who did.

I rarely notice small things missing/changed in old TV series that have physical releases. It's just been too long and I've never been *that* critical a viewer. I had no idea about Penny's scream in the pilot until it was mentioned following the BR release. I pulled out my old DVDs and *do* prefer the non-scream version over the BR version but it's not enough to put me off as I really don't remember what was originally there anyway. Same with teasers. They're nice to have but I'm unlikely to know if one's NOB accurate or not.

I appreciate the knowledge and input from those who *do* remember and like knowing the differences. However, much of it seems rather nit picking when those changes don't truly impact an episode in a negative manner.
I've been a fan of the show for so long, that stuff jumps out at me. Then again, I also prefer original closing logos and sound mixes on shows like Star Trek and I Dream of Jeannie and so on. Logos don't ruin it for me, but an inappropriate sound mix can.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I rarely notice small things missing/changed in old TV series that have physical releases. It's just been too long and I've never been *that* critical a viewer. I had no idea about Penny's scream in the pilot until it was mentioned following the BR release. I pulled out my old DVDs and *do* prefer the non-scream version over the BR version but it's not enough to put me off as I really don't remember what was originally there anyway. Same with teasers. They're nice to have but I'm unlikely to know if one's NOB accurate or not.

I appreciate the knowledge and input from those who *do* remember and like knowing the differences. However, much of it seems rather nit picking when those changes don't truly impact an episode in a negative manner.

I used to be all over that kind of thing back in the day. Wanting to see it as I originally remember it. And wanting to have any "alternate" versions. Nowadays, I just can't be bothered. Beyond wanting complete versions rather than syndication cuts, and still finding music substitutions annoying (but not in every instance) I've lost the obsessiveness of it.

Not to knock people who are still obsessed; I completely empathize with them. It's just no longer an obsession of mine.

2) in the first season, a few episodes had a different cliffhanger message because the show was being pre-empted the following week. Dick Tufeld would come in to say "whoops sorry! Lost in Space to be Continued Two Weeks from Tonight!" That narration is missing from the new remaster.

If memory serves, the first time that happened was for the teaser for "Return from Outer Space". I remember being very surprised, because one came to expect the usual message, and a different one happened.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I used to be all over that kind of thing back in the day. Wanting to see it as I originally remember it. And wanting to have any "alternate" versions. Nowadays, I just can't be bothered. Beyond wanting complete versions rather than syndication cuts, and still finding music substitutions annoying (but not in every instance) I've lost the obsessiveness of it.

Not to knock people who are still obsessed; I completely empathize with them. It's just no longer an obsession of mine.
I'm not sure "obsessed" is the word I'd use. I just dislike it's not as filmed and aired. Especially since the scream was a conscious change. The closing narration for those cliffhangers may well have been accidental or all they were provided.

The scream does bother me because it was conscious and, as a fan who was extremely familiar with those episodes, it's distracting. It's not on the same scale as "The Fugitive" mind you, but it's just as much of an alteration. What really strikes me is that the series was restored and checked by people who were fans and knew the series better than I and great effort was put into providing alternate versions of episodes and copious extras. They could have had their cake and ate it too. No matter, I can fix them as video files in the end.

But I've realized over the years, only a small subset of fans care that much, Many are just happy at the picture quality.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not sure "obsessed" is the word I'd use. I just dislike it's not as filmed and aired. Especially since the scream was a conscious change. The closing narration for those cliffhangers may well have been accidental or all they were provided.

The scream does bother me because it was conscious and, as a fan who was extremely familiar with those episodes, it's distracting. It's not on the same scale as "The Fugitive" mind you, but it's just as much of an alteration. What really strikes me is that the series was restored and checked by people who were fans and knew the series better than I and great effort was put into providing alternate versions of episodes and copious extras. They could have had their cake and ate it too. No matter, I can fix them as video files in the end.

But I've realized over the years, only a small subset of fans care that much, Many are just happy at the picture quality.
I have series with which I'm that familiar - a single word missing will cause a "whiplash" response. I'm more likely to notice music remixes of stuff I've listened to since the original release over dialog in a TV series (basically far more familiar). I fully understand and appreciate those who *do* notice such things though, sadly, I never even notice most of those issues. I'd say it doesn't bother me but if *someone* notices then it's not done right. Sometimes I know things are different and, depending on circumstances, grudgingly accept those changes (what couldn't be fixed on WKRP still sticks in my craw a bit though I understand why - I don't blame the set's producers but greedy licensing firms).

Many of those issues come when people who are unfamiliar with a series do the quality checks and it's practically insulting when those who *do* know the series inside out do the checks and, possibly, allow minor issues through that could have been easily corrected. Maybe they're instructed to only look for major things and told minor issues will not be addressed. But we'll likely never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks