171.5 KB · Views: 21

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
How does it not support Atmos well ?
It lacks a Dolby MAT processor, which many streaming services like Netflix require for Atmos. The newer Ultra, which has the Dolby Vision and Atmos logo on the box, has a Dolby MAT processor. The Streaming Stick 4K has an MAT processor too, and does not have the Atmos bug.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
It lacks a Dolby MAT processor, which many streaming services like Netflix require for Atmos. The newer Ultra, which has the Dolby Vision and Atmos logo on the box, has a Dolby MAT processor. The Streaming Stick 4K has an MAT processor too, and does not have the Atmos bug.
I have this Roku on another HDTV, but I have no sound system for that TV.

Attachments

• Roku Express.jpeg
    Roku Express.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 20

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
That is a big step down from the Streaming Stick 4K.
I use the Roku Express on an old 40" Samsung HDTV in a den. Not for home theater.

But, assuming I was using it for something else, how is it a step-down from the Streaming Stick?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I use the Roku Express on an old 40" Samsung HDTV in a den. Not for home theater.

But, assuming I was using it for something else, how is it a step-down from the Streaming Stick?
Slower processor, less memory, very sluggish, no Dolby MAT processor.

Roku is having sales on the Streaming Stick 4K ($39.99, reg. $49.99) and the newer Ultra ($69.99, reg. $99.99). I have both, and I usually recommend the Stick for anyone looking for a lower cost Roku device. I have owned the Premier (which was replaced in the Roku line by the Express) and it was very, very slow in loading apps and content.

Cabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
You didn't discuss your speaker placement and that will have the most influence over what you'll ultimately experience. For Atmos you need to arrange your speakers according to Dolby Labs recommendation, as illustrated here and place the RP-500SA's in the up-firing positions. The front two would be placed atop your main speakers but you might need to get creative placing the rear two using speaker stands or the like.

For a 7.1.2 setup, two of the speakers will be used as surround back and should be placed accordingly, which is behind and slightly above ear level at about 45 degrees off axis.

In all cases, the switch on these speakers is just a crossover adjustment designed to provide appropriate performance for each of it's modes. I'd recommend setting them to their lowest value and letting your AVR regulate the actual output.

I would choose Atmos [5.1.4] over rear surround [7.1.2] when watching any content that supports it as the mixes tend to be more dynamic overall in my view.

Let me give some helpful misc. follow up:

Just bought an Onkyo TX-NR7100. Shipped by Amazon. Sold by Amazon. $748 including tax. Free shipping.

In Dec. 2021 I bought a Klipsch Reference Premiere 9.0 speaker set. Everything except a sub woofer.

2 x RP-8000F
RP-504C
2 x RP-500M
4 x RP-500SA
all for about $3500 at the time.

Had an order for a Marantz r7015 but it never arrived. About $3500 at the time.
Couldn't get any receivers 'cause of Covid.
Got a refund.

Just broke open the speaker boxes for the first time a couple days ago.
2 years later. Brand new.

Now Klipsch has a minor evolution and now sells Reference Premiere II models.

Here is the great news: you can still get the previous model, the ones I have, but for half the price. What a deal.
And you can get a Marantz r7015 for about 40% off of the 2021 price, too.

I may owe all of you an apology. It seems that my speakers have not been properly equalized. I will use "Dirac Live" and/or "AccuEQ Room Calibration" momentarily. Both available with Onkyo TX-NR7100.

But here is some good news. I found this legitimate website where you can download MKV ATMOS test files:

Dolby Atmos Demo Trailers | Test Tones 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2 and 7.1.4

This website is a must resource.

After I use Dirac I will get back.

Sorry about that.

How many ATMOS channels can or does an ATMOS audio channel contain? It all seems a little nebulous...

...until you read this article. You will be glad you did.

Here's the best quote:

"As for the number and configuration of speakers, a 7.1.4 layout is the gold standard that enthusiasts should shoot for whenever possible. That’s not to say that it’s the best configuration for everyone. If your room’s front-to-back length is on the short side, you may only be able to accommodate a 5.1.4 system."

After reading this my understanding seems to be confirmed that a 5.1.4 receiver setup is clearly best because it gives you height front to back. Guess I'll be switching all four RP-500SA speakers to ATMOS.

And it seems my understanding was right that the ATMOS will be detected by the receiver and the channels distributed accordingly. That is, my 4 height ATMOS speakers will be detected and 4 height channels front to back / left to right will be utilized. I'll find out and let you know.

Additionally, according to this expert article, all the speakers in an ATMOS audio track are potentially used for audio objects. So with ATMOS you are not just getting 5.1 or 7.1 surround with 2 or 4 heights thrown in, all your speakers are potentially audio object oriented. It all depends on the ATMOS renderer/engineer that does the ATMOS mix. This article reveals much about ATMOS that I couldn't find elsewhere.

I just got the receiver and I am in the process of hooking up the speakers. Banana clips coming tomorrow. So give me some time. Probably a couple of weeks before I get a handle on things.

My finances took a hit so couldn't afford a Marantz R7015 receiver this time. But when I can, I will upgrade to a 7.1.4 system.

My player is:
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, K-Lite Codec Pack\MPC-HC64

https://codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

It plays MKV 4k UHD in HDR. Very nice.

When I get my new ATMOS receiver set up I will check out an MKV with ATMOS audio track and let you know.

There is a new MPC-HC update I need to download.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How many ATMOS channels can or does an ATMOS audio channel contain? It all seems a little nebulous...
Um... you got THAT right.

What I suggest is, set up your system, observing the Dolby guidelines John Dirk linked. However, I personally suggest a narrower angle for the overhead speakers. And, they should most definitely be overhead, in or on the ceiling, not just high on the walls. Then, just watch movies. The Atmos renderer will direct audio where it's supposed to go. I suggest not diving into the two different kinds of channels, bed channels vs. dynamic objects. There is the potential of home Atmos, and there is what the sound engineers actually do, and the two tend to be rather different. The good news is, Atmos processors seem to be extremely good, especially when you go up beyond the lower end models.

Then... enjoy the setup.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want a deal on a Marantz receiver, don't overlook the Factory Refurbs. A real deal.

And to answer your previous question, a HOME Atmos soundtrack can contain up to 16 channels. One LFE, up to an additional 9 bed channels (LCR, four surround, two overhead) , with six optionally available for dynamic objects. A dark secret is the dynamic objects are at a severely limited bandwidth compared to the others, when they are used at all.

Also, I know of one reputable seller who still appears to have the closeout SR7015.

Last edited:

Kato87

Auditioning
Real Name
Terrence Washington
My system is setup for 7.2.4 ATMOS. So I know what real ATMOS can do with UHD BluRays.

However, I am super confused with the streaming content from Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+ etc. which claims to be ATMOS. Some movies/shows from all these services has ATMOS output. From my understanding all of them can only output ATMOS 5.1, which is not techncially ATMOS since it requires the overhead speakers (.2, .4). It's true that my Denon receiver shows it's ATMOS audio, but it's not clear if it's 7.2.4 or 5.1.4 or whatever. It just says ATMOS. Sometimes I can hear overhead sound, but not as well defined as UHD Blurays.

Any one know what ATMOS is being outputed EXACTLY from the streaming services? Is it really ATMOS or just regular Dolby surround 5.1 disguised as ATMOS?
I believe your Denon should show what speakers are active and on certain streaming platforms, you have to pay for Atmos upmix, I know I had to do it with Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks