What's new

Soundbar Replacement Advice (1 Viewer)

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hi, the subwoofer for my LG SN9YG soundbar is no longer functioning (can’t figure out why), but it has me considering a replacement since there seem to be some decent sales going on now. I’m considering replacing my old soundbar with either:
1) LG S90QY soundbar
2) Klipsch Reference Cinema 5.1.4 system with a Denon AVR-S760H 7.2 receiver
My thought process for the LG soundbar is that I could still make use of the LG wireless surround sound speakers I have.
However, I like the idea of the speaker/receiver system, since it would also give me the option of hooking up a turntable and I can update the system in the future. I understand that the Klipsch system is 9 channel and the receiver has 7. Figure I could bypass a couple upfiring speakers to save right now to save on the cost of a 9 channel receiver.
And I figure there will be a learning curve abandoning the simplicity of a soundbar and going the speaker/receiver route.
I would appreciate any advice or guidance from the community.
Thanks in advance!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Klipsch system uses reflecting Atmos speakers, which are dubious at best. In the future, if you want to upgrade to actual ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, you can simply not connect the reflecting part.

If you want to go that way, I'd just connect it as a 5.1.2 system, with the front speakers doing the reflecting. I do not believe you would gain the benefit of the increased cost by buying a 9.x.4 capable receiver, only to add rear reflecting.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thanks John. So thinking long term, it would make more sense to go with the speaker/receiver system than the soundbar - correct? Costing them out the soundbar is about $100 cheaper.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd skip the soundbar as well, especially since sounds like you're seriously considering moving toward a more full fledged HT setup and the price diff isn't that great.

Of course, most of us here don't generally like nor recommend soundbars at all, haha -- they're certainly fine enough for most regular (non-enthusiast) folks (or for much more casual usage in some specific, limiting circumstances), but not really if you actually wanna prioritize good sound (and/or flexibility/expandable/customizability) over the (largely plainly aesthetic) benefits of soundbars...

_Man_

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thanks! Definitely a new direction for me. With the subwoofer failing on my current soundbar it seemed I was at a crossroads. I’ve read good and not so good reviews of the Klipsch system, but it seemed to be a good entry point for me to start building on.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I should have noted that my budget is around $500-$700. So searching the Labor Day sales I landed on that speaker/receiver combo. Am I getting a decent “bang for my buck”?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Klipsch is definitely a love/hate brand. I'm not on the love side, FWIW. Still, that set seems to be a real bargain. I suggest you look at Monoprice Monolith speakers for an alternative. THIS (Non-Atmos) set is worth considering.

YANG

Screenwriter
going separates setup is one tedious chore... also a challenging move if one don't get missus or family members' approvals when it comes to budget and laying of lines. besides, the s760H isn't a basic Atmos capable AVR, the newer s770H does.

for a direct soundbar to soundbar replacement, i would suggest to take a look at the Polk Magnify MAX AX-SR which the system packs a bigger sub than LG do.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
going separates setup is one tedious chore... also a challenging move if one don't get missus or family members' approvals when it comes to budget and laying of lines. besides, the s760H isn't a basic Atmos capable AVR, the newer s770H does.

for a direct soundbar to soundbar replacement, i would suggest to take a look at the Polk Magnify MAX AX-SR which the system packs a bigger sub than LG do.
Thanks! Those are definitely considerations. Especially the wires. I’ll take a look at the Polk before making a decision.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Klipsch is definitely a love/hate brand. I'm not on the love side, FWIW. Still, that set seems to be a real bargain. I suggest you look at Monoprice Monolith speakers for an alternative. THIS (Non-Atmos) set is worth considering.
The reviews of this system are great and it seems like a great price. This might be/likely is a silly question, but how would these speakers be positioned? Specifically the center. There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated center channel speaker. My TV is currently on a console, so would I place one speaker centered on the console below the TV?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The reviews of this system are great and it seems like a great price. This might be/likely is a silly question, but how would these speakers be positioned? Specifically the center. There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated center channel speaker. My TV is currently on a console, so would I place one speaker centered on the console below the TV?
Since those are two-way, coincident driver cubes, they don't need to have a vertical or horizontal cabinet. So, the satellite speakers are all interchangeable. Yes, any of them can be used for any channel.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah I'm just going to echo what others have said here and tell you you're better off going wired. Although I have a Klipsch reference and find it perfectly acceptable.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Yeah I'm just going to echo what others have said here and tell you you're better off going wired. Although I have a Klipsch reference and find it perfectly acceptable.
Thanks! I keep weighing my options (more like waffling) and keep finding myself at the Klipsch Reference Cinema System. My wife prefers how it looks and at $345, I’m finding it hard to pass on.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's my impression of the current Klipsch design intent. They are meant to make you go "Wow!" and leave a big impression. My issue with them is what's sometimes called the "morning after" effect. Meaning, what makes a big impression isn't necessarily the speaker you want to live with long term. Having said that, Klipsch is hugely popular. I have no doubt they are the best selling speaker brand in the universe. That set does seem to be an amazingly good deal.

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Here's my impression of the current Klipsch design intent. They are meant to make you go "Wow!" and leave a big impression. My issue with them is what's sometimes called the "morning after" effect. Meaning, what makes a big impression isn't necessarily the speaker you want to live with long term. Having said that, Klipsch is hugely popular. I have no doubt they are the best selling speaker brand in the universe. That set does seem to be an amazingly good deal.
Thanks. Since I’m still debating speakers I decided to pull the trigger on a renewed Denon AVR-S760H receiver ($295 seemed reasonable) as my starting point to build around. I’m sorry to pester you with all these questions, but I appreciate how helpful you have been. Does it make more sense to start with a 3.1 system as opposed to worrying about surround sound and Atmos? That way I can stretch my current budget farther and get better speakers. I can always add speakers later. Any recommendations for a 3.1 system? Thanks again for all your advice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That all makes sense, and honestly, a 3.1 system can be a great idea. Less, but higher quality. I've had a 3.1 system in my bedroom for years. The receiver will still do its best to matrix the surround channels into the existing three speakers. Atmos processors are actually very good at doing that. This gives you the opportunity to step away from pre-configured speaker systems. There are better Monoprice speakers that are very good, as well as the ELAC Debut v2 line. You can then combine those with a Dayton Sub, which offers good value. There is currently a very good sale (it seems to be a closeout) on the Monoprice 5 series. Bookshelf models are $50 each, Floorstanders are $90 each and the Center is $100.

With a Dayton sub, you can put together a really nice 3.1 system, especially if you're willing to go more toward your $700 maximum.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the Monoprice B5, Center, a Dayton 12" sub and the receiver you have on the way, you're at a total of $680 plus tax.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: those Monoprice Encore 5 series, they do seem great values, especially at their current clearance-like prices... and there are apparently still some additional coupons you can use for them -- I just recently bought a pair of T5s + C5 for a very modest 2ndary system for my home office space... and may or may not bother w/ a cheap sub like one of those Dayton ones or a Monoprice one (or maybe even 2) to be used w/ an old Yamaha AVR (that only ever used as prepro before).

There's a BIG30 coupon you can use w/ the C5 (to knock off another $30) on its own order plus I believe a fairly new(?), but expiring, blowout 25MP coupon you can probably use w/ a pair of T5s or B5s (to knock off another $25) -- not sure how reusable those coupon codes are though.

Another nice thing about those Encore series speakers is they're probably about as slim as you'll find for the quality they offer these days. And those T5s seem like a major steal at those prices (and the C5 too).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks