What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

AFI 100 Years for 2007 is.... Movies (again) (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Those spoilers make for an interesting puzzle. I might have to play around with those after work and make some predictions.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Shouldn't it be called "110 Years..." since it's ten years after the original list. Maybe they should rank the top 110 movies too.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Argh... I can't wait.

Funny that those spoilers are from an Ebert commentary on the new list...

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Holadem,

the Sight and Sound poll is a different matter altogether. Its been around for 50+ years and everyone knows it changes every ten years. I have more respect for that list because it includes world cinema and many of my favorite film critics have input on its making.

Who votes on the AFI list?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The AFI membership votes on the lists. It includes some film afficionados, but is primarily made up of alumni (it's a graduate school), film scholars, and those working in the film industry.

I've said for years that at the tenth anniversary they'd redo the list, they want it to gain legitimacy like the Sight and Sound list, so they'll have to update it every ten years as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried their next list to be international (non American) films.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of who votes for either list, the rationale for the periodic re-vote is the same. I just don't understand why it's fine for one list and not for the other.

--
H

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone going to chat as they watch? I plan to post during commercails. At fist I did not believe these were real voters for the AFI list but that post by another poster about the "pick 5 favorite films" has me believing them now. lol. Ok you are voters. The back of the list will be the most altered. Toy Story has a chance. American Beauty and LOTR [the first one] might make the list. I hope Dog Day Afternoon get on. Citizen Kane will be #1 unless there is a suprise ending. Kane almost allways makes the top movies list [Sight & Sound etc.].

The rankings will change I think but the overall content of the list will remain the same I believe. Bringing Up Baby, Yankie Doodle Dandy, Guess Whos Coming To dinner + a few more might be casulties to more modern fare at the back of the list. How will Wyler, Ford, Lean and other legends [Kubrick, Altman etc] stack up on the list? 15 minutes untill we know!!!

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't read the spoiler-it's a few minutes before the start of the show, and I'm wondering if Buster Keaton and Preston Sturges will be completely ignored again. One Keaton film might show up, but Sturges is a little too obscure for this voting group. Also, if Citizen Kane isn't number one, then it will probably fall to The Godfather, with the huge baby boomer voting block making their influence felt even more than last time.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they won't be ignored but they might not make it. Awards and popularity with the public at large plays a factor in the list criteria. :frowning:

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm liking it better as well. Wow Ben Hur and French Connection really fell. Glad to see Yankee Doodle Dandy actually moved up!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
BTW, I'm keeping track of the new list with indicators of what films made the list for the first time and how many places films moved up or fell. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks