What's new

AFI 100 Years for 2007 is.... Movies (again) (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
On the other hand, in the latest HTF revote of the AFI list, I was the only one to pick Anatomy of a Murder, so I can understand it's being dropped, if not condone it :P

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure about that? I don't recall the vote, but I would certainly pick it over many of the films that made the AFI list.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
i believe I was the only one in the 'pick 25 to vote on' portion, and it therefore didn't earn enough votes to make it onto the list that we chose from.

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
This is just typical AFI bullsh*t.

The question people should be asking themselves is not which films will make the AFI's top 100, but who gave the AFI the authority to determine what the 400 greatest American films ever made are, without concrete justification of their choices, even.

The only reason I will pay attention to this list is because everybody else will treat the list with respect like they did the one in '97, for God knows why reason.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
AFI's top 100 list is not the definitive document for the best American films ever made. Such a thing is impossible given the subjective nature of film. What it does is make people think about what movies they enjoy and why. It has the added benefit of exposing the public to movies that they have not heard of before.

As for the updated list, I'm all for it. The best movies from the previous list will still be on the new list, and some great new picks will be celebrated that reflect changing tastes and more recent productions. I guarantee that someone who is curious as to where Titanic or Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King place will watch the TV special and see another wonderful movie that sparks enough interest to rent or buy.

Absence of a favorite from the 400 nominee list is okay. If Shanghai Noon or A Bug's Life are not recognized by the AFI, it does not mean I love them less.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Just did some comparisons and the missing "Gone" film is....."On the Beach" (1959). :)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I was going to mention Anatomy of a Murder as well. Fantastic film that has no right being bumped in favor of Austin Powers. By the way - I love Austin Powers, but come on - on the AFI 100? It's like AFI is starting to drink Pepsi instead of Coke to be part of the hip crowd.

Look there are excellent movies being made today - movies that in 50, probably 100 years - we'll still be watching - Shawshank Redemption, LA Confidential, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Crash, etc. And these movies should find their way onto the list. But it would just seem very strange to have Austin Powers and Gladiator lined up with The Gold Rush and Lawrence of Arabia.

Of course I'm still pissed that A Night at the Opera isn't on the list. One of the funniest and most charming films I've ever seen. A personal favorite. Oh Well.

Cheers,

Jason

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
thanks for the link Holadem, that was a great thread back in the day, and inspired me to finish the AFI 100 myself and then take on the other AFI lists.

For what it's worth we have a second HTF AFI revote going on that is in it's final stages. For anyone who's seen all the films, you are welcome to participate in the final stage of voting/ordering the new list:

you can read about it here

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Heads up that The Tenth Anniversary special airs This Wednesday, June 20th, at 9PM ET/PT on CBS

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm hoping that "Back To The Future" makes it onto the list. The movie is now considered a classic that's being enjoyed by generations. There are people who were born in the 90s who love this movie. There are people who were born in the decade who were introduced to it through VHS (like I was) or through cable, and we've come to love it also. It's inching closer to the Top 100 on the IMDB's Top 250 list.

It's a great movie and I would like to see the AFI give it some credit (I know that I did when I sent in my ballot).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" and "The Breakfast Club" were nominated as well. Considering how much these movies speak to youth even today, I'd like to see at least one of them get on the list.

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually pretty intrigued to see this "new" list. Based on previous AFI specials, they'll have the same folks (or most of) voting and I think we'll see several movies that will bump off the list and several that will make it on.

Personally, I'd like to see films like "Best Years of Our Lives", "A Place in the Sun", "Fargo" and "Patton" give way to movies like "Cool Hand Luke", "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", "The Great Escape" and "The Shawshank Redemption" but that's just me.

As for the new movies, I think movies like "Titanic", "Lord of the Rings", "LA Confidential" and "Memento" are locks but that's just me.

At the very least, it does spread the word of film and that can't help but be a good thing.

I'm also curious as to which film will move up the most spots from the previous list and which will fall the most. Anyone else?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased to see a few films on the list (A Christmas Story, Harold & Maude).

I think time has been very kind to "A Christmas Story" which is now a ritual for many as one of the great Christmas films (period). I think some films grow in stature that way. "Shawshank Redemption" is that way, it was respected upon release, but as time has gone on, it's a film that has slowly built people who love the film.

"Harold & Maude" is one of those films that, FOR ME, has some of the most fun cinematography of any film, a cute storyline, but mostly it's a story that I think opened the door for a lot of future "dark" comedy (the first time I watched "Rushmore" I thought of this film).

I don't think it will make the list, but I'm glad it's considered.

Comedy is a tricky and difficult thing to do. Comedy that can last a very long time and be funny years and years later is a work of genious, to me far more a testament of quality workmanship then a drama that lasts because Comedy is something that can quickly age and be funny only in that moment.

That's why I find "A Christmas Story" so unique. Years later, it makes people fond of a childhood they never had, and laugh along with characters that they are sympathetic with. Everyone sees some of themselves in it.

I'm all for rewarding comedies, which I think are a seriously undervalued commodity. I wouldn't put "Something About Mary" in my Top 100. But "A Christmas Story" ? Yes.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I wonder how much the people who actually participate in the voting have changed since the first few lists. I have the idea that a lot of respectable filmmakers and actors might have participated in the first AFI lists, but haven't bothered with the later lists as they got more trivial and ridiculous.

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
I think this list will be fairly different from the one in 1998. No one really knew what to expect and I think that films that made the list might not make it this time around (or place so high/low). Vertigo was in the 60's and shouldn't have been, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, A Place in the Sun and some others were probably a surprise to some folks (to me they were - good movies, but not in the Top 100). Then you've got movies that weren't there but will probably be there this time around like Shawshank. Who knows? I'm sure the top 25 won't have a lot of movement in it though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Morbid, but has to be said: I wonder how many voters died and have been replaced.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
From the films not nominated in the original lists' 400 films, here's what I think will definitely make the list:

Chicago
A Christmas Story
L.A. Confidential
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Saving Private Ryan
Shakespeare in Love
Titanic

And I think these films are very strong contenders:
American Beauty
As Good As It Gets
Brokeback Mountain
Bull Durham
Chicago
Crash
Erin Brockovich
Finding Nemo
Gladiator
Good Night, and Good Luck
The Great Escape
Groundhog Day
Halloween
Harold and Maude
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Lost in Translation
Million Dollar Baby
Moulin Rouge!
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Roman Holiday
Shrek
The Sixth Sense
Traffic
When Harry Met Sally...
Young Frankenstein

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks