70's TV series 'Thriller' released in UK

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rob Pritchard, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Rob Pritchard

Do any non-UK viewers remember this show? It was created by Brian Clemens (The Avengers) as a series of 65 min standalone suspense tales. Although made on tape with 16mm film inserts here in the UK, it was presold to the US and usually featured an imported American star every other week. The series was very popular at the time ('73-'76) and apparently many of the stories are fondly remembered by many viewers. The show ran for six or seven seasons and Carlton has just released the first series on a 4-disc DVD set.

There's an excellent overview of the series along with an episode guide, viewer comments and a comprehensive review of Carlton's remastered DVD release at

http://free.hostdepartment.com/B/Blacknun/

In case anyone's interested the discs are all region albeit PAL format and the remastered picture/sound quality is very good indeed.

2. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I was not around then but the Avengers link interests me and I do so love that featured actors list in the link so I may import it this January, thanks for the info. Carlton, did't they do the Carry On box? I think I must watch this company's future releases.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I've seen a couple of the "movies" edited from the show on late night TV. These were expanded to fill out a 90 minute U.S. time slot by adding a bit of additional footage and repeating footage from earlier in the shows as a flashback, complete with 1970's digital effects added!

I've still got one of these altered versions on tape, under the title SPELL OF EVIL.

I'd like to see the original versions of the series. I am R2 capable, but I've heard rumors a R1 release is forthcoming, so I'll hold off for now.