What's new

3D 3D is Not Dead. It's Awesome! (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I can say from first-hand experience that the thread's (and linked article's) sentiments are spot-on. Just a month ago, I took the plunge and ordered an Optoma HD28DSE projector, a manual pull-down 100" screen, a ceiling mount, an RF emitter and a few pair of active-shutter glasses. I had bought a fairly cheap Sony 3D Blu player a couple of years ago, when an earlier Blu deck died. The whole set-up is in a finished basement room, so outside light isn't really a problem. Even when set in the somewhat-less-bright "Eco" mode (to extend the life of the projector's bulb), the 3D is outstanding! So far, I've watched CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, INFERNO ('53), DIAL M FOR MURDER, most of 3D RARITIES, and sampled several other discs (both classic-era titles, like HOUSE OF WAX, GOG and THE BUBBLE, and newer fare, like MAD MAX: FURY ROAD and PIRANHA 3D), and I've been having a ball!

Was it worth it? In this particular case, emphatically yes. I still have my regular, non-3D 50" Panasonic plasma TV (the 100" screen pulls down in front of it), and if the 3D option had solely been for another non-projection 3D set of similar size to my Panny... no, the expense to simply watch the 3D discs I currently have wouldn't nearly justify the cost. However, getting the projector allows me to watch my massive film and TV collection at double the size, with the big added plus of 3D, so it was well worth it. Also, the projector and accessories (not counting the Blu player) ended up costing less than the Panny plasma did, when I bought it in early 2009 (and the latter was at a discount, as well).

Here are some pics of my set-up, though with a non-3D film on the screen:

IMG_1965_zps8zp7l60j.jpg

IMG_1966_zps8fwskmoc.jpg

IMG_1972_zps10ilfndu.jpg

IMG_1974_zpsuhrq9ybz.jpg

IMG_1969_zpspjx8b7ox.jpg

IMG_1970_zpsdzxquair.jpg

IMG_1975_zpsbqtufq3e.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Adequate light is essential for good 3D. It's an on going problem in a lot of commercial theatres who elect not to use large enough xenon bulbs to project an acceptable picture. The larger the bulb the more they cost notwithstanding they must be changed out after a predetermined number of hours. We watched Suicide Squad at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood Tuesday night (we were the only two people in a 932 seat house) in dual projector 4K laser IMAX projection. Plenty of light, great 3D and not a bad movie.
Low light.....BAD 3D.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I've doubled down on the Sony VPL-VW665ES. It cost me a pretty penny, but now I have 4K, HDR and 3D!
I did the same thing with a Sony XBR75X940D. Finally paid it off and I'm really pleased to take my 3D collection into 4K even if the TV manufactures don't want to support it.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Directors are not making many movies in 3D; they are handing finished movies over to conversion facilities. Not the same thing.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Directors are not making many movies in 3D; they are handing finished movies over to conversion facilities. Not the same thing.

Certainly not the same thing, yet I have seen some conversions that actually impressed me more than native 3-D offerings. I found the converted 3-D in CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR to be more engaging than any of the three HOBBIT films.

It can be effective as long as the DP stages scenes to take advantage of the process.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You also have things like the last Bourne movie, which was post-converted to squeeze a few more dollars from international markets, but was clearly not shot and edited with 3D in mind.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Certainly not the same thing, yet I have seen some conversions that actually impressed me more than native 3-D offerings. I found the converted 3-D in CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR to be more engaging than any of the three HOBBIT films.

It can be effective as long as the DP stages scenes to take advantage of the process.

I totally agree. Conversions have come a LONG way and if done well can be just as enjoyable as a poor natively filmed production. Gods of Egypt was amazing! To bad we won't see more conversions of classic films. It's also to bad a hobbyist couldn't do this, but to do it well is way to complicated and the market has dried up, except viewed in a personal VR theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 3D in "The Walk" was quite possibly the most astonishing thing I've ever seen in my life. I was completely surprised to discover it was converted. I stopped being critical of something being a conversion since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks