What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does the digital code in the 3D package redeem for a UHD/4K digital version? If so, that would allow someone to have both 3D and 4K versions in one purchase.
No. It redeems HD only.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have the 3D Blu-ray on its way from the Disney Movie Club. I ordered it from that site so they will see there is some interest in 3D, even if I'm the only one that ordered from them.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Difficult. I project 3D, so it’s darker than it should be. The 2D is beautiful. If you run on a bright panel, you shouldn’t have a problem.

But then there’s 4k. And it’s reference.
The other factor is that the 3D disc doesn't have an Atmos track, which shouldn't be a deal-breaker since there's nothing wrong with the 7.1, but it may still affect decision-making. It is frustrating that the policy that studios like Disney have of not including Atmos tracks with Blu-rays in general also includes their rare 3D releases. Immersive video should be matched to immersive audio, if it's available.

Yet another reason why I ended up buying both, so that's a win for Disney, I guess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the 3D Blu-ray on its way from the Disney Movie Club. I ordered it from that site so they will see there is some interest in 3D, even if I'm the only one that ordered from them.
Unfortunately, my 3-D days in my main HT setup are soon coming to an end when I go to larger LG OLED to replace my current 65" LG OLED. Therefore, I won't be purchasing this title on 3-D disc, but instead I have a 4K/UHD on its way to me.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Are you sure about Ang Lee? If you're referring to Life of Pi, I never got around to seeing that in 3D, and based on the 2D version, I'm sure I would've loved it (I've also heard nothing but great things about the 3D version).

But his most recent 3D film was Gemini Man...

On edit: Of course, Gemini Man was his most recent film, period.
Gemini Man and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk were both shot in high frame rate 3D. Both had 3D Blu-ray releases. Billy Lynn...had a combo 3D 24 fps Blu-ray/ 4K 60 fps UHD release in the US. Gemini Man had a 4k 60 fps UHD release in the US and a separate 3D 24 fps Blu-ray release in other markets (I imported mine from Germany).

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Gemini Man and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk were both shot in high frame rate 3D. Both had 3D Blu-ray releases. Billy Lynn...had a combo 3D 24 fps Blu-ray/ 4K 60 fps UHD release in the US. Gemini Man had a 4k 60 fps UHD release in the US and a separate 3D 24 fps Blu-ray release in other markets (I imported mine from Germany).
And that's a 3D Blu-ray that was done right, with the Atmos track included on it.

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
Jackson's.
Yes, I don't know why I still associate del Toro's name with that trilogy.

In any case, I never read anything that suggested any of the four films in question had any HFR content other than at 48 fps. And unlike the two HFR films Ang Lee made, that rate isn't a part of any current home video display standard, though I believe monitors with a sort-of-compatible 240Hz refresh rate exist. Both Billy Lynn and Gemini Man had their original 120 fps data downconverted to 60 fps for their 4K UHD presentation.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Tried to pick up the 4K and 3D today by shopping the big 3 box stores. First, none carried 3D in the store and trying to order on line showed "back ordered" or "sold out" at all three.
The lenticular 4K cover at Walmart looked nice, and is probably one of the last of its kind. It was a bargain at the same price as the regular version. Walmart had no copies of Avatar displayed in their racks. I had to find a salesperson to get me one from the back...that was 4 hours after the store opened! The same thing happened at Best Buy and Target. No copies of any format on display. At home I was surprised to find all on-line dealers on back order for 3D as well. The 3D prices on eBay etc are now in the $50 range!
Seems like a chicken & egg situation to me. Is it a lack of people wanting the product, the refusal of retailers to carry it, or a very small print run?
I can't believe an old style cardboard attention grabber standee would not have bumped up sales for this major release. If the standard also featured AN AVAILABLE 3D version, some potential buyers might be curious about rediscovering projection or headset 3D.
Before I left Best Buy I looked for the Hogwarts Legacy PS 4 game. Gaming shelves were mostly barren and the sales associate said "We may have one in the back...THERE ISNT ROOM out here for all the titles we have!" ???
I couldn't help but laugh. Without a well curated collections of titles on display, customers are being conditioned to not shop local.
Also studio hanky panky releasing the various formats with crippled video and soundtrack options when Atmos sound plays fine on all HD formats... Whats driving that? The same can be said for applying basic HDR!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
or a very small print run?
I was wondering about this, which is why I made a pre-order for the 3D version which I almost never do. But I have no evidence that this was the intention. My 3D copy was supposedly delivered today from Best Buy. I imagine pre-orders/demand for 3D may have been higher than expected.

I wouldn't pay Ebay prices yet. Amazon says "temporarily out of stock". Not exactly sure if that's their usual game they play with Disney new releases, or if they're really just temporarily out, but I'd expect more on the way. I don't recall it being touted as a "limited edition".

Looks like Target is not carrying 3D at all, in stores or online, but Walmart and Best Buy online both say 3D unavailable (hopefully temporary).

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I got the standard UHD versions of both 1 and 2 today, only by selecting online order in store pick up at my local best buy. Both Target and Walmart showed no copies of 1 available in store, and limited to no copies of 2. Pretty damn sad times for b&m physical.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I'm going to have to disagree on the Atmos track. It's a pretty typical Atmouse mix. Sure, it's more than just a static 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 encoding with no 3D objects as per most Disney Atmos tracks. This time it actually has 3D objects that pan around in a larger speaker volume (even the Front Wides) and will utilize more of the potential 34 speaker positions, but only very sporadically and not during some moments where objects would have been appropriate, and there is no low bass extension or hard hits when necessary for the moment. The track is filtered at 30 Hz. The same goes for the first Avatar on 4k Blu-ray.

I have heard the theatrical mixes were equally disappointing. Even Cameron cannot escape Disney's lack of audio engineering prowess.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
there is no low bass extension or hard hits when necessary for the moment. The track is filtered at 30 Hz. The same goes for the first Avatar on 4k Blu-ray.

I have heard the theatrical mixes were equally disappointing. Even Cameron cannot escape Disney's lack of audio engineering prowess.

The original Avatar Blu-ray also hit a wall at about the same point for low-end, and that predated the Disney acquisition of 20th Century Fox. In this instance, I don't think this is so much a Disney issue, as that Cameron's sound people are on board with the "We don't really need deep bass, do we?" trend in sound mixing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Much like Christopher Nolan, to whom audio aspects of filmmaking seem to be unimportant. Audio mixes on his films are always kind of muddled.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
The original Avatar Blu-ray also hit a wall at about the same point for low-end, and that predated the Disney acquisition of 20th Century Fox. In this instance, I don't think this is so much a Disney issue, as that Cameron's sound people are on board with the "We don't really need deep bass, do we?" trend in sound mixing.
It's the whole mix for sound bars thought process. They don't have subwoofers, so why have low bass? There was talk in the industry about this practice of no longer mixing to high end home theater system standards a while back and some studios moved over to that MO and others like Sony and WB did not, for the most part.

It's like the entire pop music industry switching to mastering for car stereos rather than home hi-fi's. As long as it sounds good at the lowest common denominator, it's okay with us.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Much like Christopher Nolan, to whom audio aspects of filmmaking seem to be unimportant. Audio mixes on his films are always kind of muddled.
1687366230029.png

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
That's a whole other kettle of fish. Nolan went the exact opposite way... who needs highs and mids, when we can have BASS!!!! And... Dialog? We don need no stinkin' dialog!

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Looking forward to viewing this in all its 3D glory. It's currently streaming on Max in 4K Dolby Vision and I took a quick peek at it but will wait until the disc arrives for the full 3D experience. I did not see it in the theater unlike the first one.
And hopefully, maybe someday a manufacturer will release a new 3d/4K UHD set since Cameron will continue this series as mentioned in addition to the re-releasing of back catalogue titles and has a lot of clout. I also wish Scorsese and Ang Lee would make more 3D films because both of their last ones were sublime.
This set has both

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This set has both

Yep, but it's equivalent to about US$85 before shipping costs are added. You'd pay less to buy the separate sets in the U.S.

This has been the point of some debate in the Marvel disc threads, as this has been the only way to get a 3D version of Marvel releases for the past couple of years. Is it worth the cost? Up to the individual.

Then there's the subtitle issue that Josh notes below, and that Amazon JP seems to only take pre-orders for shipments to the U.S. Once the title is in general release, they won't accept orders from U.S. based customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks