What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who may be unaware, fourteen years ago James Cameron created a new cinematic world in a film entitled Avatar. It was well received, and after it's theatrical screenings has been offered in various home video formats, inclusive of 3D and various cuts of the film.

The audience that appreciated that earlier work has now seen (and approved of) the sequel, Avatar - The Way of Water. At 192 minutes, it was a theatrical experience. The next three films in the series are all said to be in production, with release dates set for 2025, 2029 and 2031.

Fox, via Disney is releasing The Way of Water in several home video formats, among them 4k and 3D. These are separate releases, with each containing a 2k Blu-ray, along with either 4k or 3D - dependent upon the desire(s) of the home theater collector. You can own one or both.

Bottom line here, is that the film looks like what one would hope in the best of worlds. In short, this is reference quality from first frame to last.

For 3D fans, and there are still a few out there, the imagery is miraculous, with incredible depth and details that will astound, much akin to the 3D variant of the original Avatar.

For slipcover collectors, this is beautifully rendered packaging. A black matte finish background with gorgeous color imagery popping to the fore. The title - and this will most assuredly please the champions of on-line un-boxing, is embossed with delicate blues and a fully reflective surface. I can just imagine this being tilted in the light to gain the perfect perspective.

A total class act, for a film well worth your attention. To that regard, it’s worth noting here that the film (on both 4k and 3D editions) is produced toward highest image quality, with the 4k set having all extras - and there are hours of them - on a separate third disc. The second is the standard issue Blu-ray.

In the same manner, the 3D variant has the feature spread over two discs, with the third being the 2D Blu-ray, and a fourth for extras.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 9

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Looking forward to viewing this in all its 3D glory. It's currently streaming on Max in 4K Dolby Vision and I took a quick peek at it but will wait until the disc arrives for the full 3D experience. I did not see it in the theater unlike the first one.
And hopefully, maybe someday a manufacturer will release a new 3d/4K UHD set since Cameron will continue this series as mentioned in addition to the re-releasing of back catalogue titles and has a lot of clout. I also wish Scorsese and Ang Lee would make more 3D films because both of their last ones were sublime.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looking forward to viewing this in all its 3D glory. It's currently streaming on Max in 4K Dolby Vision and I took a quick peek at it but will wait until the disc arrives for the full 3D experience. I did not see it in the theater unlike the first one.
And hopefully, maybe someday a manufacturer will release a new 3d/4K UHD set since Cameron will continue this series as mentioned in addition to the re-releasing of back catalogue titles and has a lot of clout. I also wish Scorsese and Ang Lee would make more 3D films because both of their last ones were sublime.
3D/4k is not an easy duo.

Different audience. I believe this is being handled correctly.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I also wish Scorsese and Ang Lee would make more 3D films because both of their last ones were sublime.

Are you sure about Ang Lee? If you're referring to Life of Pi, I never got around to seeing that in 3D, and based on the 2D version, I'm sure I would've loved it (I've also heard nothing but great things about the 3D version).

But his most recent 3D film was Gemini Man...

On edit: Of course, Gemini Man was his most recent film, period.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Are you sure about Ang Lee? If you're referring to Life of Pi, I never got around to seeing that in 3D, and based on the 2D version, I'm sure I would've loved it (I've also heard nothing but great things about the 3D version).

But his most recent 3D film was Gemini Man...

On edit: Of course, Gemini Man was his most recent film, period.
3D Life of Pi is stunning, as the multiple aspect ratios feature out of frame projections. It's very cool.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got my shipping notice from Best Buy today that my 3D disc should arrive by Saturday. :thumbsup:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I ordered both Avatars from BB (4K, not 3D for TWOW). It would appear that I shouldn't get them before Tuesday.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Having seen it in the 60fps HFR IMAX in the theater (where it toggled to normal frame rate when it was mostly humans in the scene), I will say the consistent frame rate on the Disney+ streaming makes it much less jarring, and more seamless, when going from one type of scene to another. I wondered if I'd miss the HFR but at this point, I do not.

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
Having seen it in the 60fps HFR IMAX in the theater (where it toggled to normal frame rate when it was mostly humans in the scene), I will say the consistent frame rate on the Disney+ streaming makes it much less jarring, and more seamless, when going from one type of scene to another. I wondered if I'd miss the HFR but at this point, I do not.
I thought this film, like Del Toro's The Hobbit trilogy, only used 48fps HFR at most?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was 48. I can't recall. But either way, the streaming and disc isn't in HFR and my overall point is that it being in a consistent frame rate 1) doesn't make for any awkward transitions when it changes from scene to scene, and 2) that I don't miss it (thus far) having watched it on Disney+

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You can always just toggle frame interpolation on and off to get a similar effect.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
For those who may be unaware, fourteen years ago James Cameron created a new cinematic world in a film entitled Avatar. It was well received, and after it's theatrical screenings has been offered in various home video formats, inclusive of 3D and various cuts of the film.

The audience that appreciated that earlier work has now seen (and approved of) the sequel, Avatar - The Way of Water. At 192 minutes, it was a theatrical experience. The next three films in the series are all said to be in production, with release dates set for 2025, 2029 and 2031.

Fox, via Disney is releasing The Way of Water in several home video formats, among them 4k and 3D. These are separate releases, with each containing a 2k Blu-ray, along with either 4k or 3D - dependent upon the desire(s) of the home theater collector. You can own one or both.

Bottom line here, is that the film looks like what one would hope in the best of worlds. In short, this is reference quality from first frame to last.

For 3D fans, and there are still a few out there, the imagery is miraculous, with incredible depth and details that will astound, much akin to the 3D variant of the original Avatar.

For slipcover collectors, this is beautifully rendered packaging. A black matte finish background with gorgeous color imagery popping to the fore. The title - and this will most assuredly please the champions of on-line un-boxing, is embossed with delicate blues and a fully reflective surface. I can just imagine this being tilted in the light to gain the perfect perspective.

A total class act, for a film well worth your attention. To that regard, it’s worth noting here that the film (on both 4k and 3D editions) is produced toward highest image quality, with the 4k set having all extras - and there are hours of them - on a separate third disc. The second is the standard issue Blu-ray.

In the same manner, the 3D variant has the feature spread over two discs, with the third being the 2D Blu-ray, and a fourth for extras.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 9

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robert, I have capabilities for both 4K and 3D and can't decide which one to get. Would you recommend one over the other?
Thanks!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Does the digital code in the 3D package redeem for a UHD/4K digital version? If so, that would allow someone to have both 3D and 4K versions in one purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And hopefully, maybe someday a manufacturer will release a new 3d/4K UHD set since Cameron will continue this series as mentioned in addition to the re-releasing of back catalogue titles and has a lot of clout.

Well, considering how long it's gonna take him to finish the series (assuming #3 won't be a hugely unexpected bust)... :P

I was thinking about such a potential set to eventually get everything as well, but I'm not sure how much I can still enjoy this stuff by then, if it even happens and I'm actually still around, LOL...

I'm still kicking myself some for forgetting to redeem my free copy of the 3D BD of the 1st film (from a Panny player purchase) and then not having enough interest to jump on the subsequent, limited run 3D BD release.

Too bad the 4K format didn't include 3D since Cameron also recently did the upgraded 3D remaster for theatrical rerelease... The industry should probably remedy that w/ 3D in 4K or maybe make 8K be able to emulate/reproduce that look via advanced software... since they wanna push 8K somehow... Then again, maybe Apple will do just that instead w/ their new foray into AR/VR goggle supported by Disney...

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, I have capabilities for both 4K and 3D and can't decide which one to get. Would you recommend one over the other?
Thanks!
Difficult. I project 3D, so it’s darker than it should be. The 2D is beautiful. If you run on a bright panel, you shouldn’t have a problem.

But then there’s 4k. And it’s reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks