What's new

20th Century Fox --- 75th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I'm slow on the uptake, but even I can work out that A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, with an intro by Martin Scorsese is acomin'. But let's hope it's not on its own. Look on the other thead about all those Fox films released in Spain but not in the US, & as far as I can see, only three Blu-rays from 50's movies so far.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

Look on the other thead about all those Fox films released in Spain but not in the US...
Yeah, but some of them are from old masters and non-anamorphic. I'd rather wait for Fox to remaster those...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh

Yeah, but some of them are from old masters and non-anamorphic. I'd rather wait for Fox to remaster those...

True, you have to be careful. I have The Egyptian & The Rains Of Ranchipur, both anamorphic & remastered & looking bloody marvellous, & I'm sure many other films have been remastered & are awaiting DVD/BD release.

Edit. I see I see Prince Valiant (1954) gets a Blu-ray (& DVD) release in the UK next month, coming from Eureka Entertainment. I suppose they licenced it from Fox. Another one that must have been remastered.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

Thomas, What are you taling about? All of those titles are on dvd.
Again, why do a rouadshow box. What could really be in it?

I think he is finds humor in this as I did, but I did not express it well. My humor bone was compacted.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd love to see Wilson released, I kept hoping it'd get a Fox Studio Classics release but it never did. A great oft forgotten movie that racked up tons of oscar nominations.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam_S

I'd love to see Wilson released, I kept hoping it'd get a Fox Studio Classics release but it never did. A great oft forgotten movie that racked up tons of oscar nominations.

Ten nominations, as a matter of fact. And it won five awards out of those nominations.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Well I'm slow on the uptake, but even I can work out that A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, with an intro by Martin Scorsese is acomin'. But let's hope it's not on its own. ...

Well, Scorsese's Film Foundation has a mission, so that could be good news.
I'm glad that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is finally coming!!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by WadeM

Well, Scorsese's Film Foundation has a mission, so that could be good news.
I'm glad that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is finally coming!!
Yeah, that mention about Scorsese also got me a bit more hopeful that he might be involved in other films at Fox getting a DVD release, such as "Tales from Manhattan"

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh
Some but not all. Those which are good are very, very good. The elements for The Egyptian are good enough for a Blu-ray.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Robin9

Some but not all. Those which are good are very, very good. The elements for The Egyptian are good enough for a Blu-ray.
I believe The Egyptian has been shown on HD cable channels, so again, it is one of those films that Fox has obviously preserved, but they never got around to releasing it on DVD.

erhanizzet

Auditioning
Real Name
ERHAN IZZET ONCEL
This is very exciting news, I hope TCF will be back with a great list of movies unreleased before.

I just want to hope these classics will finally see the daylight:

A MESSAGE TO GARCIA, BANJO ON MY KNEE, ALWAYS GOODBYE with Barbara Stanwyck

LLOYDS OF LONDON, SUEZ, UNTAMED, DIPLOMATIC COURIER with Tyrone Power

PRIVATE NUMBER, THIS IS MY AFFAIR with Robert Taylor

THREE BLIND MICE, LADIES IN LOVE, RAMONA, LOVE UNDER FIRE, KENTUCKY, FOUR MEN AND A PRAYER (a John Ford picture not in the JF box) with LORETTA YOUNG

THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, CHAD HANNA, WAY DOWN EAST, THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE, WILD GEESE CALLING with HENRY FONDA

Also some great adventure movies from the 30s, THE ROAD TO GLORY, UNDER TWO FLAGS, LANCER SPY and INTERNATIONAL SETTLEMENT (both with George Sanders and Dolores Del Rio), SLAVE SHIP, KIDNAPPED, SUBMARINE PATROL (again a John Ford film not in the JF box), STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE....

I also hope TCF will release THE RAINS CAME again, the previous DVD edition in Studio Classics Line has two or three major shaking flaws as if a real earthquake happens while the camera operator is still shooting.

I know I hope too much, but I just want to keep hoping.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Erthan.

Four Men and a Prayer was included in the JF box set, in a great transfer. Loretta Young is wonderful in it.

Other than that, I really liked your list and would buy all the titles you mentioned.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
How about a box set of all the movies fox made about 3 Girls trying to marry millonaires. This plot has to be the most remade that Fox every did.

The Greeks Had A Word For Them
Ladies In Love
Three Blind Mice
Moon Over Miami
Three Little Girls In Blue
How to Marry A Millionaire

I am probably missing a few.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I waiting for years to have Three Blind Mice and Three Littlle Girls in Blue on dvd!!!!! The other 2 are already available, I don't see any sense in reissuinng them.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
okay, we now have 93 reponses in this thread.

Dear Fox Vid. We love yu because you gave us a lot of great stuff for a long time. It was getting better and better.

then for a year you pulled the rug out and completely ignored us.

Now you're back on line and dangling a carrot.

How about some real news and real announcements.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yep...what Joe said. I'm not expecting a box set of, 20th Century Fox: The CinemaScope Years (BD A/B), but it's not just A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, is it?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
When is there going to be some solid news on new to dvd classic releases from Fox ? I'm not sold on this whole thing till i hear some actual announcements .

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

I'm not expecting a box set of, 20th Century Fox: The CinemaScope Years
I am! They have heaps of CinemaScope films that haven't been released. Astonishingly, they left Bigger Than Life to Criterion, even though Fox did all the preservation and mastering work. I would like to see all the shorts and test reels they have in their vaults.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

How about some real news and real announcements.
I still think we're going to get 99% of the same-old-same-old now in Box Sets and BD, and 1% of really good stuff we've really wanted.

20th Century Fox has come along way since Magnetic Video in 1977!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks