What's new

20th Century Fox --- 75th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Originally Posted by JoHud

Betty Grable's 2nd Volume set is long overdue

I couldn't agree more! Fox could easily release several box sets of her movies.
A third Alice Faye set would be great as well. I wish Fox still continued it's Marquee Musical line. It was a great way to release other Fox musicals!

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Lots of great suggestions here! I'd be interested in almost any of the 1930s-1950s era films, and not just the silents/early sound that I already suggested. Personally I have little interest in most recent films, and zero interest in double-dips of previously-released films unless there is a good reason for doing so, such as a new restoration or a substantial improvement in print quality. (The blu-ray releases in the UK of SUNRISE and CITY GIRL certainly fit the latter category!)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ooo, does this mean that Fox has woken up, & will be releasing some more catalogue titles on DVD & Blu-ray (regions A & B please). Fingers crossed.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Hoping for (top wants in bold):

ZOO IN BUDAPEST (which would actually make a good Criterion title)
DANTE'S INFERNO
STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE
THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL
TALES OF MANHATTAN
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN
SITTING PRETTY
(+ sequels: MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE / RINGS THE BELL)
EVERYBODY DOES IT (+ film it remade: WIFE, HUSBAND AND FRIEND)
THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND --Preston Sturges!
COME TO THE STABLE
AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES
BIRD OF PARADISE (1951 + Fox's nice print of the 1932 RKO film it remade)
FIVE FINGERS
DIPLOMATIC COURIER
MAN ON A TIGHTROPE
DESTINATION GOBI
THE RAID
GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE
THE FLIM FLAM MAN
THE INCIDENT
THE SICILIAN CLAN

SKY RIDERS

Fox Noir:

SWAMP WATER (+ remake: LURE OF THE WILDERNESS)
CRY OF THE CITY
INFERNO
(1953)
A LIFE IN THE BALANCE
VIOLENT SATURDAY
23 PACES TO BAKER STREET

For Halloween (Fox's remaining unreleased old-school chillers):

BACK FROM THE DEAD
SHE DEVIL
THE UNKNOWN TERROR
SPACE MASTER X-7
HAND OF DEATH
THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH
SPECTRE
(1977) --Gene Roddenberry!

Blu-Ray:

OKLAHOMA! (Todd AO and Cinemascope versions)
RAISING ARIZONA
THE ABYSS
TRUE LIES

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is probably in the wrong forum, but Blu-rays of 50's Fox CinemeScope movies would go down a treat, there's only a couple right now.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

This is probably in the wrong forum, but Blu-rays of 50's Fox CinemeScope movies would go down a treat, there's only a couple right now.
The Egyptian and White Feather would look great in HD.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Since everyone else has their suggestions. Let me suggest another Will Rogers set. Two of his best known films, A Connecticut Yankee and State Fair (1933), have yet to appear on DVD. State Fair even was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. A set could also include The County Chairman and Handy Andy. Here is something I wrote about Will last year: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294565/happy-birthday-will-rogers-will-rogers-on-dvd. I also would appreciate a Mr. Belvedere movie set (including Sitting Pretty with Maureen O'Hara) with Clifton Webb's Mr. Scoutmaster thrwn in as a bonus. Finally, I would also like more Tyrone Power, but how could that Power fan above forget about Lloyd's of London?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
So far, no reply of hope from Fox.
Mr. Fox ghome vid person, you seem like a nice guy, but the only thing you have posted is yet ANOTHER friggin reissue of Butch Cassidy !!!! Who the Frig cares about this?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

So far, no reply of hope from Fox.
Mr. Fox ghome vid person, you seem like a nice guy, but the only thing you have posted is yet ANOTHER friggin reissue of Butch Cassidy !!!! Who the Frig cares about this?
I got a feeling there'll be little in the way of classics, and more of the same-old,same-old but on Blu-Ray.:)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So far, no reply of hope from Fox.Mr. Fox home vid person, you seem like a nice guy, but the only thing you have posted is yet ANOTHER friggin reissue of Butch Cassidy !!!! Who the Frig cares about this?

Joe-
Relax. It makes perfect sense for Fox to rebrand some packaging and reissue select titles for the anniversary. They will have announcements all year long, so its seems a bit much to expect everything to come out now in this thread. If you read between the lines like most people in the thread have done you will see other titles hinted at. Don't spoil the fun for everyone else.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
At least there are 2 hints of classic films being released for the first time. That's a beginning...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Peter-
RE the Abyss and True Lies on BD: I talked to James Cameron approx two weeks ago in NY and they are on his project list for the next year along with the Titanic 3D conversion--always subject to change but that is his current plan.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Congrats to TCF on their anniversary! Mr. Finn - a sincere thanks to you and the rest of the TCF team on the great classic releases over the past several years. I have many of them in my collection. All of them are first rate presentations with meaningful supplements. From Charlie Chan to L&H to the noirs (and beyond), I've never been disappointed in a TCF release. Please keep up the great work.

I understand that not all of your releases (particularly some of the earlier higher priced box sets) met sales expectations. Please don't let that discourage future releases. Certainly classic film buffs are hungry for bona fide releases on pressed discs these days :) Since others are making a pitch for releases, I'll throw in mine:

More Noirs - doesn't matter which ones, I'll buy 'em

The Mr. Belevedere films (my wife asks me every 3 months or so if there's any news)

The Meanest Man in the World (Jack Benny classic - Charley's Aunt is a superb DVD)
The remaining 2 Michael Shayne (Lloyd Nolan) films. 5 were released - they are lonely!

Thank you for your consideration.

Steve

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
apologies if I don't jump in and reply, often will not have time to come over and check out the sites for a few days but I read them all and I do appreciate your interest and passion. We hear you! Thanks and as news is available to share, I will make sure you hear it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) still needs a deluxe release in the FOX CINEMA CLASSICS SERIES-a curious omission after the spate of other classic FOX Sci Fi DVDs released near all at once a couple years back;

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Originally Posted by Mark_TS

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) still needs a deluxe release in the FOX CINEMA CLASSICS SERIES-a curious omission after the spate of other classic FOX Sci Fi DVDs released near all at once a couple years back;
Oh yes please, one of my all time favorite films. I first saw it when I was 11. When I ran the (very good) DVD on my 42" plasma, I was pleased to see it still had the magic.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
First apologies about the Butch Cassidy remark.
I wasn't trying to Rain on Anyones Parade.

Billy Batson, I know for a fact that before

Fox vid pulled their classic line, they had finished a new special edition of JOURNEY. In fact a commentary track was recorded.

Let's hope good things are coming our way.

One fo my dreams is for a restored widescreen stereo UNTAMED with Tyrone Power.

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
I don't think that Butch Cassidy poster means a re-release of the current blu-ray, why does everyone thinks about that?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Finn

apologies if I don't jump in and reply, often will not have time to come over and check out the sites for a few days but I read them all and I do appreciate your interest and passion. We hear you! Thanks and as news is available to share, I will make sure you hear it.

Mr. Finn you made live a lot interesting for me as a classic movie buff. Thanks you and I look forward to your announcements when you can share.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
If Fox is going to start releasing some new unreleased titles i am very happy . I miss the Fox movies . I bought most , if not all , of the classic movies they released over the years .

I second the release of the last Michael Shayne's .More noir and Benny would be fantastic . Can't wait to hear what titles might be coming .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks