What's new

20th Century Fox --- 75th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow, 75 years! A lot of great films. Do you guys have anything special planned (release-wise) to commemorate the anniversary?

That is a great logo BTW.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
From what I see, they are releasing Classic Quad Sets in the first week of each month - all of them previously released as stand-alone discs. Just search for "Classic Quad Set" on Amazon to see the titles. I guess 75 years is not too exciting to release anything new from the classic catalogue.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Do you guys have anything special planned (release-wise) to commemorate the anniversary?
Yes. lots to announce. stay tuned.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Finn

Yes. lots to announce. stay tuned.

All those 20th Century Fox movies being issued on DVD in Spain but not in USA?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

I would love to have more classics on pressed dvds!!!!!
"A Tree Grows in Brookyln" has to be one of the only major TCF titles not out on DVD! Now would a good time to finally put it out.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's hope part of the 75th anniversary will include "new to dvd" titles and not just repackaged titles. Hopefully, we'll see:

APRIL LOVE
BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF (rescued from public domain Hell)
BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE
BLUE DENIM
BOY ON A DOLPHIN
A CERTAIN SMILE
DEEP BLUE SEA
DESIREE
THE EGYPTIAN
ESTHER AND THE KING (rescued from public domain Hell)
FATE IS THE HUNTER
FIVE GATES TO HELL
FLIM FLAM MAN
GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE
GOODBYE CHARLIE
HATFUL OF RAIN
HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS
IN LOVE AND WAR
KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES
LEFT HAND OF GOD
THE LION
MAGNIFICENT MATADOR
NEW FACES (rescued from public domain Hell)
NO DOWN PAYMENT
PLEASURE SEEKERS
PRINCE OF PLAYERS
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER
SAY ONE FOR ME
SONS AND LOVERS
SOUND AND THE FURY
TENDER IS THE NIGHT
UNTAMED
VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WAYWARD BUS
WILD RIVER
WOMAN'S WORLD

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
FIVE FINGERS, MAN ON A TIGHTROPE, and CRY OF THE CITY.

Happy Anniversary!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
How about a box set of Cinemascope films from the 50's along with some of the Cinemascope shorts that were produced when the process was introduced.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am excited that there might be some new titles released, but I already have Butch Cassidy in Blu-ray and will not buy again. This is cooling down my enthusiasm quickly.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Just looked at the Classic Quad Sets on Amazon and I am laughing my ... off with one of the sets containing both BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS. Not sure why I find that so funny but I do. Congratulations on the 75th anniversary. Love the Logo. Please release some titles not released yet. Thanks.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by ahollis

How about a box set of Cinemascope films from the 50's along with some of the Cinemascope shorts that were produced when the process was introduced.
I second this, but please release unreleased films, not just repackaging with the new logo. Any CinemaScope shorts and test reels would be great. Especially Vesuvius Express (1954).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Please release Damnation Alley. You can tie it into the new Elm Street remake since it features Jackie Earle Haley... Besides, end-of-the-world movies are hot right now :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Just looked at the Classic Quad Sets on Amazon and I am laughing my ... off with one of the sets containing both BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS.
Actually, it's just "Valley of the Dolls". Still an odd pairing, but not as odd as the one that you proposed. :)

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by Danny Burk

More silent and early sound sets......the John Ford and Murnau/Borzage boxes are among the best releases ever put together.

I second the motion. I think the early talkie era of 1928 - 31 is grossly underrepresented on DVD.

And as long as I'm posting in this thread, let me express my appreciation for all the favorites of mine that 20th Century Fox has delivered during the past several years. In particular the Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto collections, and the great line of film noir titles.

The restorations of those films were terrific, and the documentaries, commentaries, and other special features really added a lot to the package. I don't care what anybody says - I genuinely enjoy watching "clunky" early talkies like Behind That Curtain, and was so pleased to see it included in the Chan set. If only Warners felt the same about the Jeanne Eagels version of The Letter!

I know we're all up against a tough economy, but I hope your 75th anniversary will provide a good reason to take a chance on releasing more classic films, especially late silents and early talkies. If the recession means you have to scrimp on restorations and special features, so be it. I'd like to think most film fans would understand the need to cut back on the extras, as long as you provide us with the most important thing on the DVD - the films themselves.

Thanks, Fox, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks