What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wrong Man -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The WB Archive Collection is beginning 2016 with some attention-grabbing titles.

The first to emerge from the vaults on Blu-ray is Alfred Hitchcock's 1956, The Wrong Man, a uber-gritty black & white production, photographed by Hitchcock stalwart Robert Burks, and starring Henry Fonda and Vera Miles.

The production, with it's heavily grained atmosphere, almost takes on a documentary appearance, and those who shy away from film grain may be wishing they were viewing Mr. Burks far creamier Marnie.

For those grain-loving aficionados, the new Blu-ray has inky blacks, and a very highly resolved image.  A gorgeous Blu.

Based upon an actual case, the film follows the horrific situation of a man, arrested and tried for a crime he did not commit.  While not anything new for Mr. Hitchcock, it's the great New York locations on this one that sets it apart from his venerable UK productions using the same concept, i.e. The 39 Steps, Young and Innocent et al.  While many actual locations were used, much of the film was shot at WB Burbank.

Prime and generally underrated Hitchcock, that, especially in the quality offered on this new Blu-ray demands your attention.

Did I mention music by Bernard Herrmann?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Pre-ordered.

I remember seeing this after seeing other Hitchcock films and making him my then-favorite director. I was disappointed with The Wrong Man at the time, but my faith in Hitchcock was more than restored with his next production, Vertigo.

I did not see it again until recently in 35mm at the Stanford Theater. A different perspective propelled me to really liking it. Vera Miles gives an excellent performance, and the understated ambiance of the city at night really works.

Yes, Bernard Herrman! I had totally forgotten his score!

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Robert Harris said:
The production, with it's heavily grained atmosphere, almost takes on a documentary appearance, and those who shy away from film grain may be wishing they were viewing Mr. Burks far creamier Marnie.

It will be a pleasure to see grain in Robert Burks' work where it belongs... !! :D [Universal's MARNIE is an inappropriate grain-fest]

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thank yo Robert! Hoping to pick up both Hitchcock films!!!
Many of these I have never owned. I've been waiting for blu Ray to buy them.

It would be nice to see a us release of lifeboat!!

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Dick said:
Sorry....don't get the reference.
mrandmrssmith03.jpg

He's Mama Lucy.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Do these new Hitchcock Blu-Rays include the 20-minute retrospective featurettes that were included on the Warner DVD's? They're very well-made, and "Suspicion", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", and "Stage Fright" all have them too. The Warner DVD featurette for "Foreign Correspondent" didn't make it onto Criterion's Blu-Ray, understandably I suppose, but it would be a shame if Warner Archive didn't include these pretty decent little extras on their Hitchcock Blu-Rays.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is the movie of the week and should arrive at my house on Tuesday. I'm guessing a lot of us will be watching this at some point this week. It is going to be fun!

On a side note I apologize to Mr. Harris, I'm not sure how I missed his comments on this prior to seeing his comments on I Confess...which I also can't wait to get a look at.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
davidmatychuk said:
Do these new Hitchcock Blu-Rays include the 20-minute retrospective featurettes that were included on the Warner DVD's? They're very well-made, and "Suspicion", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", and "Stage Fright" all have them too. The Warner DVD featurette for "Foreign Correspondent" didn't make it onto Criterion's Blu-Ray, understandably I suppose, but it would be a shame if Warner Archive didn't include these pretty decent little extras on their Hitchcock Blu-Rays.

The Wrong Man includes "Guilt Trip: Hitchcock and the Wrong Man" and I Confess includes "Hitchcock's Confession: A Look at I Confess."

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Richard Gallagher said:
The Wrong Man includes "Guilt Trip: Hitchcock and the Wrong Man" and I Confess includes "Hitchcock's Confession: A Look at I Confess."
Thanks, Rich. Those are them (hopefully at their DVD lengths of 20 and 21 minutes, respectively). Trailers, too? And the 1 minute premiere newsreel footage on "I Confess"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks