What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sam Raimi’s 1994 The Quick and the Dead is an entertaining tale of revenge, set in the style of ’60s spaghetti westerns – BCUs and all.
I’ve always liked this film, for it sets out a task for itself, and accomplished said task perfectly.
Reviews were unappreciative.
Here’s Roger Ebert’s take: “The [film] takes the premise of those old Tough Man Contests and moves it to the old West, where the sadistic despot of a small town holds a shoot-off every year. The rules are simple: The last man alive wins a big cash prize. It’s a movie that is intimately familiar with the conventions of Westerns, especially those rules that state: (a) when a Kid comes riding into town for a showdown with the big man, he is probably the man’s unacknowledged son, and (b) when a woman rides into town, also for a showdown, she is probably seeking revenge for a terrible wrong in the past.”
In this case, the “kid” is a then 19 year-old named DiCaprio, who looks to be closer to 16, the despot is Gene Hackman...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As a fan of the genre, I find it hard to believe that I've never seen this film. Sounds like I have another 4K UHD title to pick up. Thanks for the review Mr. Harris.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I almost watched my DVD of this last weekend. Maybe I'll wait until I pick up this release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a fan of the genre, I find it hard to believe that I've never seen this film. Sounds like I have another 4K UHD title to pick up. Thanks for the review Mr. Harris.
It's one of those films that I've never seen from beginning to end, but have watched it in various stages either on one of the pay channels at home or on TNT while at Planet Fitness. I know the beginning, the middle and the end. Saying that, I dig hot women with guns.:) Hackman really hams it up in this one.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's a fun take on the western, featuring a slim Russell Crowe (!), I'm surprised Raimi didn't film it in 'scope.

…& don't blink at the wrong time or you'll miss a cameo by the great Woody Strode.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's a fun take on the western, featuring a slim Russell Crowe (!), I'm surprised Raimi didn't film it in 'scope.

…& don't blink at the wrong time or you'll miss a cameo by the great Woody Strode.
Raimi didn't even film the first Spider-Man in scope, and I'm pretty sure Spider-Man 2 and 3 were both S35. His history is largely of working with spherical glass.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME is true anamorphic Panavision.

Some of the making-of featurettes on SPIDERMAN show early effect tests in 2.35:1, so I'm guessing Raimi was at least thinking about shooting the original in 'Scope, be it Super-35 or anamorphic, before he decided to stick to spherical 1.85:1.

I recall seeing a short "making of" featurette on THE QUICK AND THE DEAD back around the time of its release, and there was a funny bit where Raimi was asked how he approached directing a legend like Hackman and Raimi response was something like, "I tell him what I want him to do, and he says 'No', and I say, 'Oh, absolutely, Mr. Hackman, sir. Do whatever you want."

Vincent

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
You can barely perceive it in real time, but if you slow it down enough when the guy gets his thumb shot off you can actually see his thumb fly off as an in camera physical effect.

Fun movie, looking forward to it in UHD.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just watched my 4K Blu-ray copy this morning ($14.99 at Fry's). Spectacular image and sound! Sharon Stone's erect nipple never looked so good (brief glimpse, blink and you'll miss it). The rest of the film looks terrific too. :)

Speaking of which... the International version of this film has a 2-minute sex scene between Stone and Crowe. The scene is available for viewing on YouTube:

Warning: That scene contains brief frontal nudity and it's not Crowe.

Mark

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Believe it or not, the sex scene available in the International Version was pretty crucial to the story line. Hopefully it has been included on this 4K edition.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also part of a 2 for $30 promo at Best Buy. Picked up this and The Equalizer. Great deal.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Equalizer 4K is getting good reviews from those that have purchased the Blu. Now I wish I'd done the Best Buy 2 for $30 deal. Not sure I can find another 4K title to pair with The Equalizer.

Please, nobody tell my wife that I'm upgrading catalog titles to 4K. :) When we got the new Sony TV she asked if I was going to rebuy a bunch of the same movies over AGAIN. I, of course, said no. :) I meant it when I said it but my defenses have weakened. :)

Goal: Leave our daughter the house, spend the rest. :)

Mark

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anybody have a link to that Best Buy promotion?

Took me a while to find it and I can't get a link...but it's Dark Crystal, Quick and the Dead, Equalizer, SpiderMan Homecoming, Fifth Element, Baby Driver, Dark Tower, Jumanji (Original), Fury and The Patriot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Took me a while to find it and I can't get a link...but it's Dark Crystal, Quick and the Dead, Equalizer, SpiderMan Homecoming, Fifth Element, Baby Driver, Dark Tower, Jumanji (Original), Fury and The Patriot.
Well, I'm out of luck as the only titles I don't have are the Dark Crystal and Quick and the Dead. I have no interest in the former.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Don't wanna derail this too much, but I picked up DC last week and watched it this week. Maybe I was just tired, but it was hard to actually understand. I was lost within ten minutes. The puppetry is great and it looks stellar, especially compared to the included BD and bonus footage.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I decided to pair The Equalizer 4K with Fury 4K with the 2 for $30 promo at Best Buy. My copies are waiting for pickup.

Back to The Quick and the Dead... Someone here (or in another forum) said they felt Sharon Stone wasn't really right for this role and he criticized her acting in the film. Those thoughts were in my head as I watched the film yesterday morning and I must say that I disagree. Granted, Stone didn't deliver an Academy Award performance but she certainly didn't do a bad job with the role.

The actor that looked out of place (to me) was DiCaprio. He may have been 19 at the time but he looked more like he was 14. That made the morning after scene (
with Stone waking up in his bed
) seem a bit awkward because DiCaprio looked way too young. Not that I wouldn't want to be in his shoes at the age of 14 (or 19, or whatever). :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks