What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THE MUNSTERS Region 1 DVD Incarnations (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE MUNSTERS - Various DVD Incarnations:

Between 2004 and 2013, there have been numerous versions of THE MUNSTERS issued in both Season and Series sets. While these include PAL DVD sets that have been issued in the UK/Europe (Region 2) and in Australia (Region 4), for the sake of some semblance of simplicity, this item is limited to the Region 1, US Based DVD Releases.

Region 1 has seen the Release of two sets of each of THE MUNSTERS two individual seasons, and two of THE MUNSTERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES sets.

Since the meat of the content, that is the Episodes from each of the two seasons are consistent, in terms of quality and included content in all of the Region 1 DVD issues, the focus will be on the differing Bonus Features that are included with each. Some major structural differences, in terms of packaging and Discs will also be noted.

The Individual Seasons:

themunstersseas1r1pic3.jpg

Season 1: This inaugural DVD Release of THE MUNSTERS first season, while issued in reasonably (For the time!) compact cardboard packaging, the Discs themselves were unfortunately, of the Double Sided/Dual Layer variety. This led to some issues with freeze ups on some Episodes, and sometimes, complete unplayability!

Number Of Episodes: 38

Bonus Feature/s:

The Unaired Color Pilot Episode.

Munsters_S2_head.jpg

Season 2: In addition to THE MUNSTERS second season also utilizing the temperamental Double Sided/Dual Layer DVDs, somebody had the bright idea of a Herman Munster Head "Flip the Lid" Design, which proved itself rather inconvenient, in terms of removing the already annoying Double Sided Discs, without incurring damage!

Number Of Episodes: 32

Bonus Feature/s:

America's First Family of Fright

Fred Gwynne: More Than a Munster

Yvonne De Carlo: Gilded Lady

Al Lewis: Forever Grandpa

913F562jR0L._SL1500_.jpg

Season 1: Single Sided/Dual Layer DVDs that first replaced the previous Double Sided/Dual Layers on the 2008 Complete Series DVD set, are also used here. More convenient compact, staggered Digi-paks are also utilized.

Bonus Feature/s:

In addition to the Unaired Color Pilot, a Colorized version of the Episode "The Family Portrait" is also included.

the-munsters-season-two-dvd-cover-71.jpg

Season 2: Ibid. See the 2013 Season 1 descriptor.

Bonus Feature/s:

In addition to the Bonus Features that were included on the 2005 Season 2 Release, the following are also included:

MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966) - This Technicolor Feature Film is presented in its original 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio, that was used in it's original Cinematic run.

THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE (1981) - This 1981 Made For TV Movie also served as a test for the viability of starting another Munsters' Series. P.S. It didn't work!

The Complete Series Sets:

The-Munsters-season-1-2-2.jpg

This is the set that not only replaced the Double Sided DVDs with Single Sided Discs, but also would feature much additional Bonus Material.

Number Of Episodes: 70

Bonus Feature/s:

In addition to the Unaired Color Pilot, a Colorized version of the Episode "The Family Portrait" is also included in the Season 1 Section.

In addition to the Bonus Features that were included on the 2005 Season 2 Release, the following are also included:

MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966)

THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE (1981)

A Reissue of the 2008 Complete Series Set that roughly coincided with a new issuing of the individual Season DVD Sets, that when combined, now contain all of the same Bonus Features as both of THE MUNSTERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES Releases.

Note: Three Episodes from Season 1; "The Sleeping Cutie," "Dance With Me, Herman" and "Far Out Munsters" all feature Music Replacements on each of the DVD Releases. As all three of these Episodes now include the Original Music for the Amazon.com downloads (But only accessible in the U.S. and its Territories!), wouldn't this be a perfect time to issue THE MUNSTERS Series on Blu-ray, and include these restored Episodes?

CHEERS! :)

Anthony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One commonality with each of the DVD Front Covers is the same image of "Herman's Head!" The same Munster Family image is also used for both Season 1 sets, and both Complete Series sets!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
My season 2 set doesn't flip open like that. There's a plastic slip cover with a printing of Herman's head like pictured above but when it's removed, there's Herman looking straight ahead and grinning. Then it flips upwards from the bottom revealing the episode guide and then when that is flipped downwards, 3 double sided discs can be seen. I watched the set twice, plus certain episodes at Halloween, and haven't had any play back issues. I don't like the packaging because the slip cover is so tight it's damaging the neck bolts getting it in and out. I do wish I had the complete series set with the single sided discs instead but bought mine before the CS was announced.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I strongly encourage others to post images of their Region 1 DVD Season/Series Sets, especially if they differ from what I've posted! I've only recorded what I could dig up online (Though I did dig pretty deep!), in terms of U.S. Based Releases, and cannot fully guarantee that it's exhaustive!

The PAL Region 2 and NTSC Region 4 Sets were deliberately not included on my list. However, if there are any differences in terms of Episode content, particularly in regards to the three Episodes affected by Music Replacements (As noted at the bottom of my initial post.), I would love to receive some feedback about this!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The Munsters is one of my all-time favorite shows. So a Blu-ray release would be an instant pre-order for me. Although, as several posters have pointed out the regular DVD’s look pretty good.
While we’re at it why not a Blu-ray release for the Adams Family TV show.
But to set the record straight, I prefer the Munsters, but enjoy both shows.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the 2008 set, and I’ve been revisiting the first season recently. It’s always interesting to see the first episode when Herman wasn’t so child-like yet. It would be cool if this series sees a blu ray, but like Scott said, the DVD’s are hitting the spot.
IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg IMG_3093.jpeg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One commonality with each of the DVD Front Covers is the same image of "Herman's Head!"
Whatever happened to that series? :)
There appears to be no official release of that series, sadly! :(

To date, about the only thing Munsters' related to see light of day on Blu-ray is the MUNSTER, GO HOME (1966) movie (In Color and Widescreen, but sans Pat Priest! :( ) that was released to Theaters soon after the TV series ended! Better than nothing, I guess.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Even though the original Season 1 was double sided discs, I dearly love the shiny, green dungeon packaging. If I ever get to build a house of my own design, it will have a dungeon just like Grandpa's where I can hide out, avoid annoying neighbors and conduct my experiments in peace.
Now, THAT would be living the dream!!!! :lol:

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
Note: Three Episodes from Season 1; "The Sleeping Cutie," "Dance With Me, Herman" and "Far Out Munsters" all feature Music Replacements on each of the DVD Releases. As all three of these Episodes now include the Original Music for the Amazon.com downloads (But only accessible in the U.S. and its Territories!), wouldn't this be a perfect time to issue THE MUNSTERS Series on Blu-ray, and include these restored Episodes?

not region 1, but the R2 CLOSED CASKET COLLECTION complete series DVD set from 2016 has original music intact on all three of these episodes. there is PAL speedup to contend with, however.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
not region 1, but the R2 CLOSED CASKET COLLECTION complete series DVD set from 2016 has original music intact on all three of these episodes. there is PAL speedup to contend with, however.
Although not a perfect solution, I recall vlc player having the capability to fine tune playback speed for those who are really bothered by the 4% PAL speedup, as I tend to be.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Before WinDvd went to adware junk (right about version 8) it had the PAL conversion built-in and played with no distortion. It also had the wonderful capability of restoring a smooth video look to native, flickering PAL, giving extra options for optimizing film playback (Larurel & Hardy Universal box set, anyone??!) AND bypassing bad encoding jobs like Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, first 2 disc edition, that had the fields out of order causing jitter and combing. Lots of control that thing had.

I think WinDvd also had the first iteration of the "video-izing" process now widely known as VidFire, that could interpolate and create 30-60fps from 24 or 29-point-whatever of NTSC (eliminating 3:2 pulldown in the process). You know, the Soap Opera look that everyone hates on their tv's! Lulz!!

The discontinued Media Player Classic can also be scripted to slow down PAL material, but it's semi-permanent, as you have to change all the parameters to go back to regular NTSC or avi or whatever. But it does work and doesn't distort the audio like some playback programs do while performing the same function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks