What's new

*** Official SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
I fancy going to see this, mainly for the novelty of seeing Holmes on the big screen. It sound cheesy and yet unconventional, so if I have to see one dumb action fest, it may as well be this one.

And i expect to be pleasantly surprised.

Somewhat typically, some people are just wound up about the gay innuendo, and not in a permissive way sadly. It's been done before about Holmes, and, sure, it's an attention seeking notion, but its a interesting one nonetheless. I do hope the filmmakers will handle the subject maturely, rather then use it for cheap sniggers - but then I'm not hopeful on that regard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sherlock Holmes". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sherlock Holmes" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
At first Holmes didn't seem so smart...Just a good fighter. But, once things got going. I did like how they showed how he analyzed everything.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wished they'd just show Holmes' slo-mo fight strategy, and then just show the combination of moves and parries in real-time and no slo-mo again.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Holmes & Watson seemed more like House & Wilson to me.

I liked the action of the movie, but overall it didn't seem to be much of a mystery. Sure, they showed the clues that led House.. I mean Holmes to deduce stuff, but there wasn't anything that the audience could really have clued in on, IMO.

(Yes, I know that Sherlock Holmes is actually one of the inspirations for the Gregory House character)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I wished they'd just show Holmes' slo-mo fight strategy, and then just show the combination of moves and parries in real-time and no slo-mo again."

Actually, that's what they did. I just watched it a second time, and the strategy is slo-mo, and the actual fight is regular motion.[/COLOR]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Then maybe I was thinking they should have left out the slo-mo and just have Holmes' internal monologue describe his fight process right before he finished off the henchmen and the fighter in real time. I think I was thinking that the slo-mo was too "modern" for the time period (but too "Guy Ritchie' for him not to do it), and to have Holmes think of his fight strategy and then to really impress the audience when it was pulled off in real time, not slo-mo. I might have given a "whoa" had it played out in that manner, without the slo-mo, which felt gratuitous and redundant to me.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it, and thought that (other than the number of huge action scenes and big explosions) it was surprisingly faithful to the books. The one thing I was disappointed by was the decision to have Sherlock meet Mary for the first time, since in the books Watson met Mary when she was Holmes' client, and I couldn't see what was achieved by that decision. But other than that, it was pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks