What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Sherlock Holmes (2009) & Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It seems that many new 4k releases, at least those derived from film to 2k or 2k digital masters, don't offer a great deal of uptick in 4k.

I was fully expecting this with the two WB Sherlock Holmes Downey / Law films, but came away pleasantly surprised.

Especially when running the films from an uprezzing 4k player, CUs, 2Shots, MS, et al, aren't going to give us any surprises, but these releases have a true 4k look to them, when it comes to detail, background players and the like. Even if you have to pixel peep to find it.

It's there.

As an example, Game of Shadows begins with an explosion, lots of tiny actors around, then goes to a package being carried - the shot is waste to shoulder - and swapped to another actor. Nothing here. Enter Robert Downey. He joins Noomi Rapace, and then it occurs. As they chat, background action.

In the new 4k, one can distinctly make out people and costume details. In the Blu, not so much.

These are wonderfully entertaining films, especially for those with a love of all things Arthur Doyle, who interestingly is not in the credit block.

Added detail aside, these are gorgeous discs, with brilliant color, great blacks, and just the correct sprinkling of HDR so as not to get in the way.

Philippe Rousselot's photography is magnificent.

Audio seems to be the same as offered on the Blu-ray, with no Atmos addition.

The third episode is in pre-prod, and I can't wait for it to arrive.

Magnificent entertainments, even if Mr. Doyle might have a bit of trouble identifying his characters.

4k Image - 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Unfortunately, yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And we're going to be seeing a LOT of Downey-Holmes over the next year or two, since it's one of Warner's official auditionees for "The Next New Warner Franchise".

Which, with the quick exits of "Blade Runner 2049", "Birds of Prey" and the "Doctor Sleep" Shining sequel, is beginning to feel like the elimination-competition reality series it sounds like:
Tune in next week, to see if Space Jam, Gremlins or Beetlejuice gets voted out, and whether Holmes will topple Willy Wonka for the prize!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't think he's the definitive Sherlock Holmes or anywhere close to it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find these two films, particularly the first one with a unique new villain, very entertaining. But I think my Blu-rays are going to have to suffice (and I got the digital copies for them, too, when I bought the Blus). So I think I'm set with these.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I don't think he's the definitive Sherlock Holmes or anywhere close to it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find these two films, particularly the first one with a unique new villain, very entertaining. But I think my Blu-rays are going to have to suffice (and I got the digital copies for them, too, when I bought the Blus). So I think I'm set with these.
I saw both films and not for a second did i believe he was Sherlock Holmes. I will stick with Basil Rathbone.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think these two films are quite entertaining, and tend to view this take on Holmes much as I do the Benedict Cumberbatch series - an interesting, and welcome, alternative riff on "classic" Sherlock.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I was surprised how much I enjoyed these films, the first one better that the second, I think that one suffered from going away from London (which was almost a character in these films), & it had Holmes running around after quite a bit of physical punishment, fine for a modern action film, but no so much for a Sherlock Holmes film. Anyway, looking forward to the third one.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I don't think he's the definitive Sherlock Holmes or anywhere close to it, ....

Obviously performance is based heavily on the styles of the day. Overall I recommend the Hammer Productions version of "Hound of The Baskervilles" with Peter Cushing as Holmes. It is probably my favorite and most watched. Murder at the Baskervilles starring Arthur Wontner is a good retelling of the story Silver Blaze. But being a Public Domain film, it's hard to find a good transfer. Plus of course is the Basil Rathbone series.
The Downey versions are interesting and I own them..but seldom watch'em.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Sherlock Holmes has been around a long, long time, and there is plenty of room for varying interpretations. Some are pretty faithful, and some are pretty fanciful. But they all deserve a seat at the table. I loved the Guy Ritchie films for the way that he used his filmmaking style to break down the way that Holmes processes things. It was a different way to handle that visually, and it was a lot of fun. But I also love more faithful versions as well because I just plain love Sherlock Holmes. Trying to say which one "is" or "isn't" really Holmes is a zero sum game.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sherlock Holmes has been around a long, long time, and there is plenty of room for varying interpretations. Some are pretty faithful, and some are pretty fanciful. But they all deserve a seat at the table. I loved the Guy Ritchie films for the way that he used his filmmaking style to break down the way that Holmes processes things. It was a different way to handle that visually, and it was a lot of fun. But I also love more faithful versions as well because I just plain love Sherlock Holmes. Trying to say which one "is" or "isn't" really Holmes is a zero sum game.

And then there are the books...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Obviously performance is based heavily on the styles of the day. Overall I recommend the Hammer Productions version of "Hound of The Baskervilles" with Peter Cushing as Holmes. It is probably my favorite and most watched.

Peter Cushing is a good Holmes. Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbatch are great Holmeses.
Christopher Plummer in Murder by Decree is a fantastic Holmes. :thumbsup:

He’s not Sherlock Holmes, he’s Sherlock Holmes as part of the DC Universe.

Which is almost literally true--Warner originally told Ritchie to do a, quote, "Batman-style" action-oriented re-imagination for a new series.
And that worked out so well, they let him try King Arthur, next...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Including the non-Doyle books, if that is what you mean. Writers like Nicholas Meyer made their own interesting contributions to the lore.

One case for which it the characters entering the public domain may have been a good thing. Mr. Meyer directed his own written works.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
One case for which it the characters entering the public domain may have been a good thing. Mr. Meyer directed his own written works.

Herbert Ross did direct the movie adaptation of The Seven Percent Solution, but Meyer wrote the screenplay, and was absolutely a helluva director on his own.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Even classic Holmes portrayals have veered from canonical Conan Doyle. Recall that Basil Rathbone fought Nazis (and held a gun) in Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror.

I started off a fan of the Cumberbatch Sherlock but thought the later episodes abandoned the basic principles that make Holmes (and Holmes stories) effective.

And despite not being the world's biggest Guy Ritchie fan, I like both of the RDJ films a lot. I don't mind the flashier, more physical portrayals, or the standard action tropes, or RDJ's drifting accent. People seem to like the first movie the most, but I'm a huge fan of Jared Harris and love his work in Game of Shadows. He's the highlight.

Like RAH, I can't wait for the next installment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't stall in pre-prod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks