What's new

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) (1 Viewer)

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Thank you Jane Levy, thank you ZEP. . . Now, after all these grueling years, I can enjoy '(I don't care) I love it' without risking the mental image of a coked-up Lena Dunham in a mesh crop top.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With two episodes left, "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" is still in contention for a perfect season, in my book.

Jane Levy really brought it last night. When Zoey unloaded on people, she didn't hold anything back.

With the exception of Howie, who had the misfortune of walking into her line of fire, I think all of those conversations needed to happen:
  • Max is right that Zoey took him for granted, and he's right to prioritize his own happiness and success. But Zoey's right that Max expected things from her emotionally that he wasn't entitled to.

• Everybody has been tiptoeing around Simon's grief for months. And all of that tiptoeing hasn't helped him move on. The things Zoey said to him were incredibly insensitive and horrible, but the tough love did accomplish two things: It broke Simon out of his stasis (with the result that he didn't miss his mother's wedding), and it reminded him that Zoey is going through some really heavy stuff too (which means he needs to listen as well as share).

• Mo was right to deliver some tough love of his own when it comes to the problematic codependency between Zoey and Simon.
Loved the cathartic release of Mo, Zoey, and Simon dancing to "I Love It" far too loud and far too late -- though I would have hated to be living in that neighborhood if I had something important to do the next day.

The highlight of the episode, though, was the "Perfect" heartsong duet that Zoey witnessed between her parents at their final anniversary dinner, giving an Ed Sheeran song a maturity and gravitas that I didn't know was possible. Mitch's terminal illness is a tragedy, and the obvious choice would have been to play the storylines involving him as tragic. But while there is a tragic undercurrent to his part of the show -- because everybody knows what's coming, much sooner than is fair -- the show doesn't dwell in the tragedy. It's horrible that this is the last anniversary that they will share together, but that's not what Mitch and Maggie are feeling in the moment: Instead, they're as in love with each other as they've ever been, overjoyed to be in one another's company. And that Zoey gets to see that and understand that, at a time when she might otherwise assume that her father's life has become unceasing misery, is a tremendous gift.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree with many of Adam's points about last week's episode. I'm not quite sure why I missed posting about it then. Jane Levy is always great, but she really rose to the challenge with a very complex emotional episode for Zoey.

This week I thought was less successful. One of the things that the show usually does well is play the family stories and the work stories off each other well so that they work together and feel like a complete narrative whole in terms of Zoey's experiences. This week, the A-story with Maggie making funeral decisions for Mitch and the B-story involving the rivalry between the two floors didn't coalesce as well as they usually do. The stakes were so high with the family storyline that Leif sending codes to Tobin all week just didn't feel like it was as important. It's not that the work story is bad; it just felt very jarring to go from an extremely heavy storyline with Maggie and Zoey to a lighter, comedic one at the office.

But the songs were terrific, and it was a pleasure to have Bernadette Peters sing. Also, her big scene with Mary Strenbergen was so great. Any time you can get two of the great living actresses in a room together is a good thing, and they really played off each other beautifully. Although her function was purely to help Maggie through this difficult choice, I hope they find some way to bring her back next season, because they had a great dynamic. It would be really nice to see Maggie have a friend she can lean on as she goes through the grieving process for Mitch and hopefully comes out the other side.

I'm sure that Simon was absent this week because they had too much else to do with the other characters, but because he also works on the same floor as Zoey, it seemed odd that he wouldn't be there at all. This episode appears to have lasted at least a few days. Is he still in Vegas after the wedding? I guess he must be, although since Joan by her own admission is giving Zoey lots of time off, how many employees can she afford to have gone at the same time? Simon didn't appear in the promo for next week, either, but I do hope we haven't seen the last of him this season. Although I liked that the show focused on Max and Zoey's strained friendship this week, it would be weird to have a coda for the season without Simon in it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This week I thought was less successful. One of the things that the show usually does well is play the family stories and the work stories off each other well so that they work together and feel like a complete narrative whole in terms of Zoey's experiences.
I think part of the issue is that Zoey's family situation is so extreme at the moment that it's hard for there to be anything comparable on the work front. If next week's finale goes the way I think it will, that issue will be resolved for the second season.

But the songs were terrific, and it was a pleasure to have Bernadette Peters sing.
When I saw who the woman laying flowers on the grave was, I had the biggest smile on my face. A legend of Broadway who (as "Mozart in the Jungle" proved) is also an adept television performer.

This show has a really interesting mix of great actors and great musical performers. I did feel bad for Lauren Graham when she had to duet "Get Together" with Renée Elise Goldsberry. It's got to be tough to be paired with a Tony winner when you're an actor who can sing rather than a musical performer.

Although I liked that the show focused on Max and Zoey's strained friendship this week, it would be weird to have a coda for the season without Simon in it.
I liked that the storyline between Zoey and Max wasn't first and foremost about the love triangle; Zoey just missed her friend, and really hated that he was so cold toward her.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that Simon was absent this week because they had too much else to do with the other characters, but because he also works on the same floor as Zoey, it seemed odd that he wouldn't be there at all. This episode appears to have lasted at least a few days. Is he still in Vegas after the wedding? I guess he must be, although since Joan by her own admission is giving Zoey lots of time off, how many employees can she afford to have gone at the same time? Simon didn't appear in the promo for next week, either, but I do hope we haven't seen the last of him this season. Although I liked that the show focused on Max and Zoey's strained friendship this week, it would be weird to have a coda for the season without Simon in it.
I assumed he was still in Vegas or recovering from Vegas. He is in a different part of the department than Zoey and presumably has his own deputy to take care of things, so I didn't think there was anything wrong with him also being away.

Ava was brutal there with Max. No second chances there. Zoey's warning about Lief stabbing him in the back came true.

So next is the 12th episode. It seems to be hitting a natural season finale and may not have been affected by any production shutting down.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It seems to be hitting a natural season finale and may not have been affected by any production shutting down.

It was always ordered to have twelve episodes, and they finished shooting in February. Alex Newell confirmed this in the video interview I posted on February 26 in post #13. So, yes, the episode we will see this coming Sunday is always where it was intended to end this season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well that finale just wrecked me, but the show definitely stuck the landing. I really, really hope we get a second season. But if we don't, the show will be remembered alongside shows like "My So-Called Life" and "Freaks and Geeks" that had one perfect glorious season that will be remembered for a long time to come.

Once it was pretty clear that this would be the end for Mitch, I was wondering what his final heartsong with Zoey would be. And the choice they went with, to have Mitch speak to Zoey directly, had more power than any song choice could have. He was, strangely enough, the only member of her family that knew about her ability. And he leveraged that ability to protect her from spending her final moments with him as a failing husk of a body gasping for breath. Instead, her final moments with him were spent dancing, to an instrumental reprise of "True Colors" playing softly in the background.

When arrived home from the funeral for the reception, and Zoey's family started singing "American Pie", it was such an unexpected choice but such a perfect choice. And then when I realized the entire reception was going to be a oner for an eight-minute song, I gasped. It was a tremendous technical accomplishment that never drew attention away from the emotions of what Zoey and her family were going through.

And then the final beat, with Zoey drawing the heartsong out of her head and into the world, so that her family could see what she was feeling the way that she could see what they were feeling -- Wow, just wow!

Apparently, when Lauren Graham signed on to the "Mighty Ducks" series, there wasn't going to be any overlap between the shooting schedule for that show and the showing schedule for this show if it gets picked up for another season. But obviously, COVID 19 has torpedoed all of that. Joan being appointed interim CEO provides a mechanism for her to still have a presence on the show without needing to contrive reasons why she doesn't appear every week. And if Zoey gets Joan's job then Max can get her job.

I really hope this gets a Blu-ray release. It's a show I would watch over and over again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Man, I have almost nothing to add to that at the moment except that I agree with all of it. I think this was the best episode of the series to date, and it really fires on all cylinders. Creatively, it is a strong argument for why the show needs to continue. Nothing In this episode didn't work for me. American Pie was just fantastic, certainly the most ambitious thing they've done this season and it worked perfectly. I also appreciated that they gave Jane Levy a chance to sing it as well.

Deadline has a good interview with Astin Winsberg about the finale and his plans for season two if it should get renewed.

I do like Joan's promotion as a better way to write around Lauren Graham's potential absence than what I thought they would do, which was fire her after she sept with Leif. However, if your theory about Max getting Zoey's job and Zoey getting Joan's job is correct, then Zoey and Max would be in the same position that Joan and Leif are now in terms of pursuing a relationship. So I'm not sure that would be ideal. Bringing in someone new could shake up the dynamics in the office, although elevating Zoey's position would raise the stakes for her.

In addition to a Blu-ray release, which I would absolutely buy, I hope there is a CD (or at least a digital album) release for the whole soundtrack. I haven't bought the individual EPs for each episode because, at about $5 or $6 each, that would be expensive. But if there was a way to make one purchase of all the music from the season for say, somewhere around $20, I would be more than happy to do that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm just going to leave this here. Watching it again only increases my level of admiration for how beautifully executed this number is.

Now that the season is over, what are your favorite musical numbers? Before last night I probably would've said 500 Miles and Crazy, but now I feel like American Pie has to be on top.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
NBC posted a Zoom chat with the cast, creator and choreographer about the season:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some happy news today: NBC has renewed Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist for a second season of 13 episodes.

Zoey 2.jpg

Last edited:

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is that photo specific for the season 2 announcement, or a stock show photo. . . .

The show shared it to their social media pages. I assume it's not brand new because the cast has been dispersed for a while. Obviously, considering the pandemic we don't know when the show will be able to resume production. But at least it's coming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now if they'd fix the music issue I'd be even happier. I don't want to lick a gift horse in the mouth in regards to the renewal, but they sell have the singles from all the episodes available for $1.29 each on iTunes. I wish they would compile them all into a reasonably-priced album, like $20 or $30, and release them together. I would make one fair and reasonable purchase for all the music in the season, but $1.29 each is stopping me.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
The show shared it to their social media pages. I assume it's not brand new because the cast has been dispersed for a while. Obviously, considering the pandemic we don't know when the show will be able to resume production. But at least it's coming.
I wasn't so much keying on the pandemic angle and the logistics of securing the photo. More that they featured players who have other commitments or have ostensibly been written out in the promo for the next season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Everyone in that photo except for Lauren Graham is a series regular. They've already indicated that she wants to be back and they intend to have her back as much as her schedule allows. So I don't think there's an issue with her being featured there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
“I think that it’s very easy to get into the mythology of it all and like, ‘Why her? Why the powers? How did it happen?'” showrunner Austin Winsberg tells TVLine. “I just think that there are a lot of mythology questions that could be asked.” Winsberg acknowledges that those mysteries are “interesting,” but he “didn’t want [them] to overwhelm the more personal stories in the first season.”

Looking ahead, “I feel like that’s something that we can continue to explore,” Winsberg adds, “and I like kind of leaning into the mythology a little bit, but not at the expense of the human dynamics and characters and relationships, which I think are more important. So that’s something that I want to continue to explore and play with, going forward, and perhaps that could become a bigger part of the storyline in Season 2.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks