What's new

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, the season premiere certainly moved along both Zoey's professional and personal lives. Fine season premiere.
I agree. The massive musical number when Zoey returned to work ("Hello, Dolly!") with everybody on the fourth floor involved in the choreography felt like the show was making an announcement: We're not going to let this pandemic strangle our ambitions or fundamentally change what makes the show work.

For a show like "This Is Us", where every scene is so specific to a time and place in the characters' lives, writing in COVID-19 was unavoidable. But I'm glad that "Zoey" has chosen to ignore it; this a show that already exists in a heightened reality, and its theme of human connection is very counter to the limitations imposed by the pandemic. There's also the fact that we'll (hopefully) have a vaccine widely available soon, and once the pandemic is behind us, having a season centered around it would really date the show whereas now it feels somewhat timeless.

Given that the scheduling impacts of the pandemic apparently meant that they only had Lauren Graham for one episode this season instead of seven, I'm glad they really utilized her in this episode. And even though Joan is transferring to Singapore, she's still with the company so they have avenues to bring her back for future seasons if the scheduling gods will it.

George is supposed to be a lot, but he might be too much for me. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Zoey's sister-in-law struggling with motherhood really humanized her; she was a bit of an ice queen in the first season.

In other news, ratings were up for the season premiere.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The uptick in ratings didn't surprise me. It's not on dead-end Friday night, and NCIS was a rerun.

I agree about ignoring COVID here. On a show like Grey's Anatomy, it would have been ridiculous not to work it into the storytelling, but this show is pure fantasy. It doesn't belong.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the premiere. Unfortunately, when I turned it on my wife said, "Oh, Zoey's Infinite Playlist, I thought we were done with that." I guess I'll be watching it on my own from now on.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, when I turned it on my wife said, "Oh, Zoey's Infinite Playlist, I thought we were done with that."

Did she not like it? If she enjoyed last season, I find it very hard to believe this premiere would be disappointing.

It certainly was extremely satisfying to me. Just what I needed this week.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Did she not like it? If she enjoyed last season, I find it very hard to believe this premiere would be disappointing.

It certainly was extremely satisfying to me. Just what I needed this week.
I thought she had enjoyed the previous season for the most part, but apparently not.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Zoey running out on her female solidarity moment in the elevator with the shouted explanation "Gotta go! Sex!" is definitely my biggest laugh of 2021 to date.

Jane Levy played Zoey's awkwardness around the subject beautifully the entire episode.

I'm really enjoying the shifting work dynamics, as well. You really get a sense of what Zoey has learned from Joan, as well as the distance she still has left to travel to really fill that role. It's also exciting that, as manager of the entire floor, we get to see her interact with other teams besides just the programming team.

I enjoyed Morgan Taylor Campbell as the most talkative of the three new female programmers. She felt like the kind of character who was used to spending her days in a boys' club.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the work scenario was more interesting to me that the romantic subplot, but that's usually the case with me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This whole show continues to be the delight I need right now. Pretty much the entire first two episodes worked for me and it is the most fun I have every week.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The show's ratings are up and it's really building momentum so of course NBC is going to put it on an indefinite hiatus starting next month:
NBC Media Alert said:
breaking news | January 15, 2021
b8206a99e25b1ff8_800x800ar.jpg

8cfd8288e526fe75_800x800ar.jpg

NBC has set premiere dates for its two upcoming comedies: “Young Rock” will debut on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 8 p.m. ET/PT and “Kenan” will debut immediately after on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 8:30 p.m.
“YOUNG ROCK”
  1. “Young Rock” focuses on different chapters of Dwayne Johnson’s life. From growing up in a strong and resilient family, to being surrounded by the wild characters of his professional wrestling family, to playing football at the University of Miami, the show will explore the crazy rollercoaster that has shaped Dwayne into the man he is today and the larger-than-life characters he’s met along the way.
  2. Dwayne Johnson, Joseph Lee Anderson, Stacey Leilua, Adrian Groulx, Bradley Constant, Uli Latukefu, Ana Tuisila, Fasitua Amosa and John Tui star.
  3. Nahnatchka Khan, Dwayne Johnson, Jeff Chiang, Dany Garcia, Hiram Garcia, Brian Gewirtz and Jennifer Carreras serve as executive producers.
  4. “Young Rock” is produced by Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, Seven Bucks Productions and Fierce Baby Productions.
“KENAN”
  1. Kenan, a recently widowed host of Atlanta’s #2 morning show, struggles to balance his job and his young daughters despite all the “help” he gets from his father-in-law and his brother/manager/house guest.
  2. Kenan Thompson, Chris Redd, Kimrie Lewis, Dani Lane, Dannah Lane and Don Johnson star.
  3. Lorne Michaels, David Caspe, Jackie Clarke, Kenan Thompson, Ken Whittingham and Andrew Singer serve as executive producers.
  4. “Kenan” is produced by Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, in association with Broadway Video.
Note: Following its sixth episode of the season on Feb. 9, “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” will go on hiatus and return in the spring. The second season is off to a strong start with the premiere setting an all-time series record with 3.0 million viewers in live-plus-same-day. That figure now currently stands at 4.7 million.
MEDIA CONTACTS
[email protected]
[email protected]

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just hope they re-run season 2. This is my wife’s favourite show and we missed episode 1!! There was no advertising for it. I am PVRing the rest of the episodes, but they will not be watched until she can get that first one!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just hope they re-run season 2.

I can almost guarantee you they will not rerun episodes. The whole point of the hiatus is to have two uninterrupted blocks of episodes without airing repeats, which don't tend to do well in the ratings anymore. If you want to see the premier, you can find it on demand or on Universal's streaming service, Peacock. Hulu might have it too but I'm not sure. Or you can buy it digitally from Amazon.

I'm sorry you missed the premiere, but it's not worth abandoning the series because you missed one episode.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
None of these services are available in Canada. Our service called "Crave" is offering season 1. If we wait another year ... My wife is an all or nothing person. If she can't see all shows in order -- that's it!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My wife is an all or nothing person. If she can't see all shows in order -- that's it!

I totally understand the desire to see all the episodes. But especially for a show where you already saw the previous season, it should be easy enough to pick up what's going on if you've only missed a couple shows. The rest of us here could summarize key points for you to share with your wife if you like. I just don't see the point of denying yourself the pleasure of the whole season for a year over two episodes that have already aired.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's some good, well-deserved news: Alex Newell has been nominated for a Critics Choice Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his work as Mo.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
TV Line has an interview with Skylar Astin regarding tonight's episode. I'm going to put the URL in spoiler tags just in case others come in here without having seen the episode first. Don't click if you don't want to know.

Edit: And another one from Entertainment Weekly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks