What's new

Zenith Digital Tv Set-top Receivers Include Hdtv Digital Recorders (1 Viewer)

John Royster

Screenwriter
From http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...ws_Display.asp press release.
---------------------------------
LAS VEGAS January 9, 2003 -- Consumers will soon be able to record digital HDTV broadcasts on unique digital HDTV set-top receivers that combine hard disc drives and latest-generation digital television (DTV) reception technology from Zenith Electronics Corporation.
The two new HDTV personal video recorders (PVRs), the world’s first such devices on the market, join other new Zenith DTV set-top boxes — including a combination HDTV Receiver/DVD Player, an updated terrestrial HDTV Receiver and an enhanced Satellite HDTV Receiver — introduced here today at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show.
Zenith’s seven set-top receiver models for 2003 are the HD-SAT530 and HD-SAT520 DIRECTV® High-Definition Receiver/Advanced HDTV Tuner, for satellite and HDTV terrestrial broadcasts; the HDV430 and HDV420 Advanced HDTV Terrestrial Receiver, for terrestrial and cable reception; the HDX330 HDTV Receiver/DVD Player; and two models equipped with personal video recorders, the HDR230 and HD-PVR330 HDTV Receivers/Personal Video Recorders.
The new digital set-top lineup builds on the success of its high-definition receivers in delivering DTV signals to Zenith’s growing family of plasma, LCD, rear-projection and direct-view HDTV monitors. The new models also capitalize on Zenith’s leadership as developer of the “VSB” (vestigial sideband) digital transmission system at the heart of the FCC’s U.S. DTV standard.
HDR230 HDTV Receiver/Personal Video Recorder combines Zenith’s latest-generation ATSC terrestrial tuner with an 80-gigabyte hard disc recorder — allowing storage and playback of more than eight hours of HDTV programming — for an irresistible marriage of performance and convenience. Features include basic on-screen navigation using a PSIP-based (Program System Information Protocol) electronic program guide, Dolby Digital® recording, live pause, variable rate trick play, a variety of fast- and slow-motion capabilities, record file management, aspect ratio control and high connectivity via RGB, Component, S-Video and A/V outputs. The HDR230 is expected to be available from Zenith dealers in the second quarter at a suggested price of $999.
HD-PVR330 HDTV Receiver/Personal Video Recorder with the new TV Guide® on-screen interactive program guide, is a versatile next-generation HDTV-PVR designed to provide an enhanced viewing/recording experience. It is equipped with a high-gain ATSC tuner for HDTV terrestrial reception and a QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) tuner for unscrambled HDTV cable reception, as well as an NTSC tuner for standard-definition analog reception. A generous 80-gigabyte hard disc drive allows viewers to record and play back more than eight hours of HDTV programming while taking full advantage of the advanced, intuitive on-screen navigation system and program listings service from TV Guide. The service instantly delivers seven days of listings of all shows, with a new service that “tags” favorite shows for easier surfing –– plus news, sports and weather information –– all at the push of a button. Additional features include Dolby Digital recording, a video browser using thumbnail images, live pause, drag and play, smart skip, a 300X fast-forward speed, and a jack package with DVI + HDCP (Digital Visual Interface with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), RGB, Component, S-Video, and A/V outputs for super connectivity. The HD-PVR330 is expected to be available in the third quarter at a suggested price to be announced.
HDX330 HDTV Receiver/DVD Player is equipped both with a high-gain ATSC tuner for terrestrial HD broadcasts and a high-format DVD player compatible with CD, CD-R/RW, Video CD, SVCD, HDCD and MP3 formats. Such image refinements as enhanced scaling, 3:2 Pull Down and aspect ratio conversion are augmented by intuitive on-screen navigation/electronic program guide, 5.1-channel Dolby Digital audio, simultaneous HD and standard-definition (SD) outputs, and a connection package with DVI + HDCP, RGB, Component, S-Video and A/V outputs for super connectivity. The HDX330 is expected to be available in the fourth quarter at a suggested price of $599.
HDV430 Advanced HDTV Terrestrial/Digital Cable Receiver features a high performance next-generation ATSC tuner for terrestrial HDTV reception and a QAM tuner for unscrambled cable HDTV reception. It supports simultaneous HD and SD outputs, 5.1-channel Dolby Digital audio, and has selectable modes for 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i and Native Output. A connection package with DVI + HDCP, RGB, Component, S-Video, and A/V outputs ensure super connectivity. The HDV430 is expected to be available in the third quarter at a suggested price of $399.
HD-SAT530 DIRECTV® High-Definition Receiver/Advanced HDTV Tuner brings a new level of flexibility and performance to satellite and terrestrial HDTV reception. It supports all DIRECTV®, ATSC and NTSC broadcast formats and features a super fast 7-day advanced and unified program guide to speed and simplify program selection. It supports simultaneous HD and SD outputs, boasts improved graphics, and features one-touch VCR recording capability and multiple zoom modes, as well as Dolby Digital audio. DVI + HDCP also is included. The HD-SAT530 is expected to be available in the fourth quarter at a suggested price of $699.
Rounding out the line are Zenith’s current HD-SAT520 DIRECTV® High-Definition Receiver/Advanced HDTV Tuner and HDV420 Advanced Terrestrial HDTV Tuner, available now at suggested prices of $699 and $399, respectively.
From
Zenith Electronics Corporation, founded in 1918, is a leader in digital television technologies and inventor of the U.S. digital HDTV transmission system adopted by the FCC. Zenith’s Emmy award winning technologies include digital HDTV, flat-screen CRTs, stereo television and TV remote controls. For 2003, Zenith is capitalizing on its digital HDTV leadership and on the extensive technologies and resources of its parent company, LG Electronics Inc. (LGE). Zenith’s corporate headquarters are in Lincolnshire, Ill. Visit us on the World Wide Web at www.zenith.com.
DIRECTV is a registered trademark of DirecTV Inc.
Dolby Digital is a registered trademark of Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
----------------------
WOW!!!! Seems like what I've been waiting for is finally starting to come about. A full featured DSS and OTA HDTV receiver with PVR. Zenith seems to be pushing the limits and giving us what we need. Awesome. Now if I can only hold off until they hit the market.
Also check out the other press releases. Seems to conincide with CES.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hey John...it's baa-aaaack, your thread! I just got an e-mail from Amazon offering the Zenith HDR230. I just do not understand the 80 gig hardrives when 120 & 160 gig-ers are being put in Tivo's, admittedly by the aftermarket. 8 hours record time seems a bit stingy to me, being a Tivo vetern. It's stille tempting to own one. This is definitely how I'd like to do terrestial broadcasts. I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself from looking at anteanas real soon???:)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Wow! So they're finally here. You're right 8 Hours doesn't seem like much when they could have used a larger hard drive, but I suppose these things have to start somewhere. I haven't bought an HDTV decoder yet, but PVR is the killer app that will cause me to buy. I haven't heard any updates on the HD-Tivo units. I wonder how they're coming along.

Gregory

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think there was a review of the 230 in the last S&V. Some very serious shortcomings, IIRC.

The biggest gripe was that it relied on the PSIP data for future recording, but most stations don't send out correct PSIP data.

My dream box is a Tivo with an ATSC tuner AND a DTV tuner.

BGL

John Royster

Screenwriter
heh,

I haven't jumped on the PVR wagon yet for just this reason. I want it all and I want it in one box.

StephenL

Second Unit
Sound & Vision magazine test report of Zenith HDR230
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1
The reviewer complains that a "nonremovable timer bug pops up in the corner of the screen when you’re watching a recording and sticks there." This has been fixed.
Some people have upgraded the hard drive:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...11#post2257811
I'm exchanging my Zenith HDR230 for another because I'm having a problem with video noise. Sometimes the picture has faint flickering horizontal bands. The problem is not usually noticeable, but it is distracting when it appears. The flickering is most noticeable in some scenes with blue sky.
The problem occurs at 1080i and 720p with the component video output, but not with RGB+H/V (my RGB+H/V cable has noise suppressors at each end). It occurs during live and recorded broadcasts, during play and pause, and always in the same scenes.
My display is an NEC LT150 projector. The projector, the HDR230 and all other components are plugged into the same outlet strip. Turning on the projector’s low-pass video noise filter reduces or eliminates the problem. I haven't had this problem with my Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV receiver or any other video source.
I contacted Zenith and tried relocating the cables as they suggested. I also tried lifting the ground on the projector and disconnecting all components and connectors except the HDR230, the projector and component video cable, but the noise remains. I haven't seen any other complaints, so it may just be a problem with my HDR230.
The Zenith HDR230 lacks the recording capacity and sophisticated features of my DirecTV receiver with TiVo, but I really like the ability to record HDTV. I shipped my HDR230 back today and I'm anxiously awaiting a replacement.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the information!! I guess they still have some kinks to work out, but hopefully this will push other manufacturers to jump into the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks