What's new

Zappa? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Any word on -any- Frank Zappa material being released on DVD? I think he would have liked the possibilities!
Where's "200 Motels" or "Uncle Meat" ???
Where are those great live performances I used to see on TV years ago?
------------------
Patrick Larkin
Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I recall a while back that www.zappa.com had a quicktime video of a song. Although I cannot remember the song now, but that they were looking into making a dvd. I'm not sure of where that will be on the timeline, though. Gail seems to be a bit quirky when it comes to things like that.
I do agree that I would be one of the many to buy some video of Frank if it ever became available. I do recall him doing the "I am the Slime" on SNL a long time ago but cannot seem to locate it on any SNL video subsets.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I remember a great concert that used to be shown on TV. (USA I think showed it a lot.) "Does Humor Belong in Music" with one of Zappa's trademark giant bands.
It was a VHS tape for a while. Search on eBay, there were tons of VHS tapes put out over the years. Why no DVD? I guess its up to the family. When I went to Zappa.com a while back, it said they were looking into producing a Laser Disc. Huh?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is a release of a concert of the 1973 band filmed at the Roxy that is forthcoming. I think it is going to be a long video, maybe 3 hours. The quicktime file was from this film and was fantastic.
Supposedly the VHS will be out by xmas, and a DVD by early next year (1Q?).
However, given the piss-poor track record of the Zappa Family Trust in actually releasing material that they have promised, I'll be happy if it comes out by xmas 2002.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and "Does Humor Belong in Music" does exist on laserdisc. Don't bother trying to find it. :)
It's not my favorite band anyway (1984). Give me 1973, 1978, 1981, and 1988. There is a Barcelona concert that was shot professionally in 1988 which may see light of day eventually. I know it is bootlegged, but I don't have it.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 23, 2001 at 03:06 PM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You guys kick-ass. Zappa is the best.
I wouldn't buy 200 Motels or Uncle Meat. Those "movies" are just to weird, even for me. 200 Motels has a lot of Flo & Eddie, who I don't like, and Uncle Meat is just a bunch of outtakes.
I would totally buy any concert footage on DVD, though. If the 1973 live thing would actually come out, that would be awesome.
I once caught an old SNL rerun with Zappa as host. Man, it was great. He was in a Conehead sketch and played "Purple Lagoon" (I think) with soloist James Belushi-as-Samurai-guitar-player (!). It was cool.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I so want 200 Motels on DVD. My VHS is so worn out. But I would also like to get Zappa's Universe. It was a tribute concert done after Zappa's death. I saw it on Bravo before they had commercials and it was never repeated. It's on VHS but c'mon....it's VHS.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I want as much live stuff as they can release, plus Baby Snakes. Gotta have Baby Snakes. The long version. Here is a quasi-transcription (not verbatim) of what someone on usenet was told when they called the pumpkin line recently. The guy doesn't seem like he is faking it.
quote: Q: When's the Roxy DVD coming out?
A: We're shooting for the new year, but keep checking back.. stuff's been
crazy around here, that might change. The VHS should be out by christmas,
though.
Q: Why is that?
A: They want to take their time and make sure everything is right, the
surround mix and all. The other DVD's won't come out until maybe sometime
after the Roxy.
Q: So to reiterate, the surround mix is holding up the DVD release, but
the VHS might be out by christmas?
A: That is correct.
Q: What about the other videos? Are you anticipating a christmas release
for them as well?
A: Yes, Baby Snakes, 200 Motels, all of them.
Q: 200 Motels?!
A: Yes.
Q: So, you guys got the rights.
A: Yes, why wouldn't we?
Q: Well, it was an MGM/UA release, and so was the soundtrack.
A: Yeah, Gail's been working on a lot of different things, acquiring the
rights to lots of stuff, there's lots of stuff going on. I'm not too
clued in to a lot of the inner workings around here, but that's what was
discussed at the last meeting.
Q: But 200 Motels is slated to be a Barfko product?
A: That's right.
Q: Ok, how about the scores, are they still available? They're not on the
website.
A: Yes, the website is undergoing a facelift, but everything that used to
be listed and isn't there is still available.
Q: Them Or Us, the book as well?
A: Yes.
Q: Thank you Phil!
A: You're welcome.
[/quote]
Shortly after this, the website did get a partial facelift, but no videos yet.
I have to admit that I will buy the VHS the day it comes out, then I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 23, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Not a big Flo and Eddie fan here either. But you have to admit that Ringo as Zappa is pretty damn funny.
And to reference another thread, would it not be cool to hear some Zappa on 5.1 DTS audio?
Oh, I wish he was still alive. I'm sure ALL this stuff would be out by now.
------------------
Patrick Larkin
Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks