What's new

Your new BD titles requests from Twilight Time (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Criterion once released the Streisand-approved PRINCE OF TIDES laser disc. I would love to own a Blu-ray that included all (or most!) of the bonus features from that disc, including Streisand's director's commentary.

I have a feeling Criterion will end up releasing it on Blu-ray.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Ashby, Shampoo 1975 Columbia
Bogdanovich, Paper Moon 1973 Paramount
Bunuel, Viridiana 1961
Cukor, The Philadelphia Story 1940 MGM
Dreyer, The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928
Fellini, La Strada 1954
Ford, Young Mr. Lincoln 1939 20th Century Fox
Hawks, Bringing Up Baby 1938 RKO
Lubitsch, Trouble in Paradise 1932 Paramount
Lubitsch, The Shop Around the Corner 1940 MGM
Peckinpah, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 1973 MGM
Penn, Night Moves 1975 Warner Bros.
Powell and Pressburger, A Matter of Life and Death 1946 Universal
Sturges, The Lady Eve 1941 Paramount
Vidor, The Crowd 1928
Von Stroheim, Greed 1924
Welles, The Magnificent Ambersons 1942 RKO

I'm sure some of these are not possible because of who owns the rights. The bottom line is that these are the films I want on Blu-Ray.

Quite a few of these Criterion has the rights to already for DVD. It is only a matter of time until they get to them on Blu-ray. The RKO and MGM titles Warner controls and could either be part of their Archive Collection or with Criterion at some point.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a feeling Criterion will end up releasing it on Blu-ray.

There's a nice HD master of this film out there, possibly meant only for streaming. But why this film hasn't turned up from TT or Criterion or Sony itself is quite remarkable to me. Barbra Streisand's and Nick Nolte's high water mark, hands down.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ashby, Shampoo 1975 Columbia
Bogdanovich, Paper Moon 1973 Paramount
Bunuel, Viridiana 1961
Cukor, The Philadelphia Story 1940 MGM
Dreyer, The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928
Fellini, La Strada 1954
Ford, Young Mr. Lincoln 1939 20th Century Fox
Hawks, Bringing Up Baby 1938 RKO
Lubitsch, Trouble in Paradise 1932 Paramount
Lubitsch, The Shop Around the Corner 1940 MGM
Peckinpah, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 1973 MGM
Penn, Night Moves 1975 Warner Bros.
Powell and Pressburger, A Matter of Life and Death 1946 Universal
Sturges, The Lady Eve 1941 Paramount
Vidor, The Crowd 1928
Von Stroheim, Greed 1924
Welles, The Magnificent Ambersons 1942 RKO

I'm sure some of these are not possible because of who owns the rights. The bottom line is that these are the films I want on Blu-Ray.

PAPER MOON, THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, LA STRADA, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH are available in Europe on Blu. BRINGING UP BABY had an HD master produced but, frankly, it looks like shit and I am guessing this RKO classic needs a great deal of work. I fully expect Warner Archives to release PAT GARRETT eventually, and perhaps NIGHT MOVES. The absence of THE LADY EVE from the Criterion Collection is inexplicable, but I still expect it to show up here. There was a wry hint in one of Robert Harris' posts of well over a year ago that THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS might show up. As for THE CROWD, GREED (and I would add THE WIND) go, who knows whether Warner Archives will ever get these to us...even on DVD, as they have never seen disc (except laser) release.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
There's a nice HD master of this film out there, possibly meant only for streaming. But why this film hasn't turned up from TT or Criterion or Sony itself is quite remarkable to me. Barbra Streisand's and Nick Nolte's high water mark, hands down.

There may be an HD master but maybe not 4k yet. I would assume that the hold up now for many films is waiting for the 4k restoration.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I hope The Taming of the Shrew is in Sony's remastering queue in the near future--I'd really love to see Twilight Time release it.

e10de2d1a042e547803002badb19f3fd.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Sun Also Rises has just been released on Blu-ray disc in the U. K. The packaging gives the copyright as 2017. Presumably a Twilight Time disc would come from the same master which sadly is nothing special..

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
The Sun Also Rises has just been released on Blu-ray disc in the U. K. The packaging gives the copyright as 2017. Presumably a Twilight Time disc would come from the same master which sadly is nothing special..

I did not know that it was released in the U.K. TT will not release Fox titles unless the transfer is a 4k remaster or in pristine condition.

Maybe one of these days. I'm hoping for some more Tyrone Power from them.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Many of us are, and many of us are not getting any younger either.

i know, that's why i keep asking, next to Odd Couple, it's my favorite Simon maybe a little more in its favor as time passes, everyone was just perfect spot on.

and if any extras were to be had, the only cast members left are Dame Maggie , James Cromwell and Richard Narita left, bet that commentary would be different.

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Assuming Sony still owns Murder By Death, does anyone know if Mr. Crisp's team has done a new HD transfer of this title? I watch this once a year and never get tired of it. Great writing and acting. This would be an automatic pre-order if TT released it.

Sadly I read recently that Mr. Simon is now in the throes of Alzheimer's. What a shame.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Assuming Sony still owns Murder By Death, does anyone know if Mr. Crisp's team has done a new HD transfer of this title? I watch this once a year and never get tired of it. Great writing and acting. This would be an automatic pre-order if TT released it.

Sadly I read recently that Mr. Simon is now in the throes of Alzheimer's. What a shame.

I thought last year there would have been something for its 40th Anniversary. But nothing.

I'm sure Twilight Time would jump at the chance of releasing it if Sony offered it to them.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did not know that it was released in the U.K. TT will not release Fox titles unless the transfer is a 4k remaster or in pristine condition.

It's not a bad transfer, just nothing special. I've watched 15 year old prints of this film that had more sparkle.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

or if it would have been able to have Mr. Simon to add his input for a commentary would have been a major achievement

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks