What's new

Your NCAA 2004 experiences? (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I've just been sitting here and thinking about the season that I started up in NCAA 2004 and thought I would relay some of the things that I've run into in the game and give a small recap of my first season with the University of Louisana at Monroe playing at All American level.

Well, after completing my first season, and prior to my first bowl game. I've finished the season at 9-2 with my only losses coming to LSU and Auburn, both top 25 teams. My loss to LSU was a heartbreaker and a tough way to start the year, but they were really the better team. Auburn on the other hand handed my A$$ to me and didn't ever hold up. They threw for over 300 against me and made my DB's scream for mercy... which they never gave us.

Sadly, the only thing that I would have liked to have seen is a player from my team up for a major award, but the only award that we're up for is coach of the year. Which it looks like I have a pretty good chance of winning.

I've gotten my schools confidence in my up to an A+. It's at the point now where it says that my AD will match any offer made to me by any other school in the country.

At this point, I've seen some very cool things in the game. I've had a punt return for a TD, a kickoff return for a TD, a 99 yard game clinching INT return for a TD, and a fumble return for a TD.

I've seen a punt heading for the endzone and seen a CPU controlled player jump up at the 1 yard line and bat it back into the field of play.

At this point, I can't be more excited about getting to the next season of play. I want to take the Indians to the next level and get them moved from the Sun Belt and into a tougher conference where I can get them to a BCS game or into the running for the National Championship. The other thing that I want to see is a Sports Illustrated cover with my UL-Monroe team on the cover. :)

I really debated picking up this game this year... and I have no idea why at this point. My EA bio has over 20 hours put into NCAA and I think I'll be well past that by the time I reach all of my self-set gaming goals.

Glen

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
First season I played as UCLA (alma mater) at All-American level, sliders untouched. UCLA is a four star team (out of six) but has solid personnel.

I went 13-0 and won the championship but it wasn't without its share of barn burners. UDub (Washington) took me the last drive to win 31-28. And Texas for the championship was a 14-3 game, mostly because I injured the starting QB. I played 8 minute quarters. 2 DLs were rewarded (R. Leisle won the Bednarik w/ 21 sacks, D. Ball got 15). My secondary had All American Matt Ware with 8 picks, 3 for TDs, including a 101 yard (intercepted in the end zone). Offensively I was good and balanced but no award candidates. Threw too many pics, didn't run the ball well.

However my off-season went well! Ware tried to leave early, spent points to get him to stay (he's a 99 now). Lost 16 seniors to graduation, including 6 of 8 DL. However I successfully recruited 25 kids:
12 :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
9 :star: :star: :star: :star:
6 :star: :star: :star:
many from out-of-state!
and now I have a young team with talent and some decent junior/senior leadership. Am currently 7-0 in Year 2, ranked #1. Am really enjoying it!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Glen, I'm not surprised that Auburn handed your ass to you. They will be doing alot of that this year. ;)

EDIT: I'm just surprised that they PASSED the ball that much, their strong suit is the running game.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I started off my Dynasty using Bowling Green. I chose them for two reasons -- their QB is very fast and I figured I could cakewalk through the MAC.

Before starting conference play I had to face two ranked teams -- Purdue and Ohio State. Purdue was an easy victory and I was handing it to OSU up until the 4th quarter when the computer starting playing catch-up with those long bombs for touchdowns. They put up 21 points in under 3 minutes but I was finally able to run out the clock and eke out a win against the #1 team.

After that I strolled through conference play and ended the regular season undefeated and ranked #1 in the polls. Played #2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl and lost 38-31 in a very good game. Was offered the job at Florida State and took it since I would be losing my QB at Bowling Green and he was the linchpin of my offense.

Playing on All-American with sliders adjusted to favor the CPU. My style is to run a ball-control offense with very few big plays but lots of first downs and a stingy defense that forces the CPU to go for the big plays.

I'm about to start over with a new Dynasty as playing as Florida State doesn't sound all that exciting (too easy).

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Currently ready to start play in my 5th coaching season, All American, default sliders. Played as FSU for two seasons, and finished #4 with a Fiesta Bowl win over the Cavs in season two, but that wasn't enough for FSU's AD, and I got canned.

So I went to Maryland for season three, did respectably that year, nothing special, but enough to impress my bosses and keep my job. I just finished season four last night, went undefeated until the second-to-last week when NC State pulled the upset in MY HOUSE, 24-20. Still, I won the conference to achieve one of my contract goals, went to the Orange Bowl and crushed #4 Colorado State.

I stayed up and did the off-season stuff last night as well... I managed to pull in the #3 incoming class, with a blue chip quarterback, halfback and wide receiver to shore up my sub-par offense. Coming in at #5 in the pre-season polls, and looking for all the marbles this year.

Larry Fletcher! We've got an overdue league game to play! PM me, please!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Paul,

That's just rude. :) hehe.

I completed my season last night and won the New Orleans Bowl and won coach of the year.

My recruiting class was 14th in the country. Not bad for one of the smallest schools in the country.

Things look pretty good for the next season. I did my starting DT's, T's, LB's, and a few WR's, but it looks like I've got my team setup to be much better. I've also changed over to running Wisconsin's offense, since UL-Monroe's Offense was a bit lacking.

I did change my schedule to get another game against Auburn this season, and this time I'm taking them down. :)

Glen

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, and what's up with Florida State offering the job? I too had an offer after I won the first championship. Does EA know something we don't know? Is Bobby Bowden on the way out after this year? :D

Just pasted #21 ranked (in 2004/5 season) Arizona State 56-6. No my games aren't usually that one sides on AA mode, but I started with a KR for a TD, then intercepted the next pass for a TD, then forced a punt and returned that for a TD. So 3 minutes into the game and I'm up 21-0! 8-0 and ranked #1 in the polls/BCS! I was looking forward to facing Oklahoma (who is ranked A in all categories) but they were just upset by the Colorado Buffs (made the SI cover rather than my trouncing of a top-25 opponent)!

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
I've started 2 seasons with Clemson, one at Heisman level (big mistake) and then at AA still I can't win. GA is a good team and I don't mind losing to them, but when I get beat by Furman there is something wrong. My biggest problem is passing I throw TONS of picks and get sacked too often. I could go undefeated with Navy on 2003, maybe I'm not playing enough to really get the feel of the passing offense, but I don't remember having this much trouble adjusting to 2003 last year.
BTW - How tough is the Cal/Stan classic game!! The BYU/SMU has also been tough to beat!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Dave-Lo,

It took me a while to figure out the passing in this one. I was having quite a few picks early, but in my last 3 games I haven't been Int'd yet.

As for jobs being offered, I was offered the head coaching job at Oregon State after my first year at UL-Monroe, but turned it down.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering, for those who have been playing for more than two seasons (hey, I simulate the cupcake games so don't think I'm playing this 24/7! :D ):

Are anyone else's conference rival being elevated in quality by the CPU? I'm playing UCLA and am in my third year, and last year USC was #2 in the country when they played me in the annual rivalry game (they lost to me and then lost the Bowl game), and in this year they are 7-0 and ranked second to me again, as our showdown draws near.

I was thinking maybe this is the CPU's way of trying to get a loss out of you if you build your program to a dynasty and schedule cupcakes in your non-conference. Which I don't do btw, I played Miami, Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska before entering PAC-10 play (custom sched).

Anyone else doing well in their dynasty noticing if your archrival is also doing very well?

In last year's game they would actually punish the conference if I did well because all the local recruits would come to UCLA and the rest of the PAC-10 would suffer in quality. But in the last two years, USC has done well, so has Arizona State, Oregon State and Oregon. In fact, the SI cover has been saying "The PAC-10 is the Best!" for the last two years. Odd.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone playing this at Heisman level?

I'm using UCLA as well, and I'm gettin' my ass handed to me. Against teams I should beat handily.

So frustrating!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm sticking it out on All American. I'm going to make some tweaks to the sliders and just up the difficulty a bit that way.

Time to take it to Auburn. :P

Glen

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Eman,

Not at Heisman, All-American. I have a friend who used to be at EA (and talked regularly with programmers there). Basically he implied that at Heisman it starts to cheat (i.e. reads your plays, pumps up the opponents stats). That's why you're getting your ass handed to you.

AA is pretty much the most realistic setting available. Unfortunately playcalling AI hasn't gotten to the point where it can compete with a good human playcaller (w/o cheating that is).

If you are walloping the CPU at AA, try using a lame team, that will bring you back to reality. I'm going to Build A School soon and make it a middle-of-the-road team and put it in a power conference (either PAC-10, Big Ten or Big 12 South), see if I can shake things up that way.

But yeah, although UCLA starts out as a four star school, it really is talent loaded and doesn't take much to get it to six stars and nearly unbeatable.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm using U.K. at All-American.

I went 8 - 5 my first season (beat Louisville ;) ).

I find recruiting helps the team a lot. I got the number ten recruiting class in the nation.

I'm 6 - 0 right now in my second year of my dynasty.

As far as the passing game is concerned, I finally got the screen passes to work. I'm attempting close to 45 to 50 passes a game and completing 70+ percent.

The only thing I can't do is run the ball (avg. 3+ yards on draw plays) and throw the deep ball (I have a 1/1 td/int ratio).

The thing that irks me right now is my inability to throw down the field (I get tired of screen passes after a while) and the inability of my lineman to set up proper blocks. They're opening up holes, but they just can't hold their blocks.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Dome,

I've been really struggling with the passing game, but doing well at the running game. As for passing, I found crossing routes work pretty well. Sending a WR all the way across the field, especially if he's a slot guy usually can get you a 5 to 10 yard gain. Usually.

Ugh. I really want to play this more, but don't have any time until Friday at the earliest... and there is a Packer game that night... odds aren't good that I'll be playing it until Sat or Sunday.

Glen

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
I just sent my xbox memory card in the mail to some guy in beleview who will copy the real rosters names for all of the d1 schools. He had a pretty legit looking web page so I'm hoping it works out. If not lesson learned. I'm not going to post his site just in case its a scam. Has anyone tried this? Did I get ripped off? I'll report back if I get my card back.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
I played one season with the Huskers on AA and won it all. I then changed to Heisman and like the games better. Even though the game does cheat on occasion, my opponents run a more balanced offense. On AA, teams never ran the ball enough. Anyway, I am now 7-0 on Heisman (very modified sliders or I would never score) with 4 very close games.

P.S.-My number one great game was over USC. I won 8-6 on the road. It was a great game. I think only 1 turnover each. They scored their touchdown with 3 minutes left in the game and I came back running the ball and scored with 10 seconds left. I got a score of 1950 or something like that.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Not at Heisman, All-American. I have a friend who used to be at EA (and talked regularly with programmers there). Basically he implied that at Heisman it starts to cheat (i.e. reads your plays, pumps up the opponents stats). That's why you're getting your ass handed to you.
I'm a stubborn fool, so I'm gonna stick with Heisman. Also I must say, that if the real Drew Olson plays ANYTHING like Video Game Drew Olson...

The Bruins are in trouble. :D

Neal_C

Second Unit
I agree that at the Heisman level it does start to cheat a little. I started on Heisman and didn't like that, so I backed up to AA.

I'm currently on a hot streak with Texas...back to back national champions and still undefeated midway through the third season (32-0 I think).

I think the key to the passing game is having a mobile quarterback so you can scramble if need be. I usually wander outside the pocket to pass and if no one is around, I'll take off and get 8 to 10 to 15 yards. Sometimes you can get those safeties to come after you then throw to a single coverage receiver.

I guess I will go play a little bit.

Neal

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Eman, if Olson plays like my Olson in the game...

He won't play! ;)

However if Matt Moore plays like my video game Matt Moore (where I just broke McNown's career TD record in only three years)... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks