What's new

Directors Your Local Theater (1 Viewer)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I was curious about some things so heres a poll about it.

1. How many screens are in your local theater? (if multiple whats the biggest)

2. How many theaters are in your area?

3. How long is the drive to your theater?

4. Does your theater often have people who dress up for big releases like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

5. Does your theater allow advanced online ticket sales?

6. Do you consider your theater small, average, or large?

7. Does your theater have stadium seating?

8. Do you think your theater overcharges on food items?

9. How much is it for a non discounted friday night ticket? Do you think this amount is too high?

10. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of cell phones ringing during a movie?

11. Does your theater have an arcade in the lobby?

12. Are you generally satisfied with your theater experience?

13. Do problems with the film (audio out of sync, projector out of focus, etc) happen often?

14. Do you feel your car is safe in the parking lot?

15. Do they actually check your ticket stub?

16. Do they enforce the rating system (Do they card)?

17. If you could change one thing about your favorite theater what would it be?

18. Do you drive a considerable distance out of town in order to find a better theater?

19. If you were moving to another town, how important is it for that town to have a nice theater? (Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very important).

20. How often do you go to the movies?

21. Do you always go to the same theater?

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
1. 16
2. 5 or more
3. 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Large
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. 6.75 Its a good price.
10. yes
11. yes
12. yes
13. Rarely
14. as safe as any.
15. only on big movies, on the weekend or crowed periods
16. yes
17. cheaper food items
18. I would
19. 8
20. About 2 to 3 times a month.
21. yes

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
1. 22 (Two buildings about a mile apart, but really the same theater, with movies split between locations.

2. 1

3. 3 miles

4. I don't think so?

5. Yes

6. average

7. yes

8. yes

9. $9.00 (It's okay I guess if I am going by myself, but I feel bad for people that bring their families)

10. no

11. no

12. no

13. No major mistakes, but the audio quality is often poor and too loud, and sometimes the image is a bit under or over lit.

14. No car.

15. no

16. Don't know?

17. Bigger screens

18. no

19. 1

20. once or twice a year

21. yes

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
1. 8

2. 2

3. 15 minutes

4. Employees or customers? No, not really

5. Don't know, never tried.

6. average

7. yes

8.Yes

9. $9.50, No because I usually go to matinees

10. a little bit

11. yes

12. Yes

13. No

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Don't know

17. nothing

18. no

19. 6

20. once or twice a month

21. No, different theaters have different movies

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
1. How many screens are in your local theater? (if multiple whats the biggest) 8

2. How many theaters are in your area? 2

3. How long is the drive to your theater? 50mins

4. Does your theater often have people who dress up for big releases like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars? I went to the midnight session of AotC and about 5 people did

5. Does your theater allow advanced online ticket sales? Nope

6. Do you consider your theater small, average, or large? 3 Large Screens and 5 Medium

7. Does your theater have stadium seating? Yes

8. Do you think your theater overcharges on food items? Every cinema does

9. How much is it for a non discounted friday night ticket? Do you think this amount is too high? $13 Australian, and Yes I do

10. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of cell phones ringing during a movie? Not really

11. Does your theater have an arcade in the lobby? Yes, but nothing too big

12. Are you generally satisfied with your theater experience? Yes, 90% of the time

13. Do problems with the film (audio out of sync, projector out of focus, etc) happen often? Never

14. Do you feel your car is safe in the parking lot? Yes

15. Do they actually check your ticket stub? Yep

16. Do they enforce the rating system (Do they card)? Sometimes

17. If you could change one thing about your favorite theater what would it be? Definitely more arthouse flicks

18. Do you drive a considerable distance out of town in order to find a better theater? Every time

19. If you were moving to another town, how important is it for that town to have a nice theater? (Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very important). 4, I would drive until I found a nice one.

20. How often do you go to the movies? An average, about 2 times per week

21. Do you always go to the same theater? Yes

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
You ask a lot of questions.

The one we always go to has 16. There's a few other 16 screeners, don't know of any bigger.

Depends on what you mean by area. Within a half hour drive, about 10, I guess. Plus a dozen or so art house and second run theaters.

15 minutes.

4. Does your theater often have people who dress up for big releases like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?
Not really, no. There was a gigantic line for Two Towers, but not many people were dressed up.

Don't they all nowadays?

large

Yes, that's why we always go there.

Hell yes. Fortunately, our theater doesn't care if we bring in outside food. Also, they email coupons every week for stuff like a free small popcorn or a free drink.

9. How much is it for a non discounted friday night ticket? Do you think this amount is too high?
$8.25. Yes. We always go to matinee shows, except for the LOTR midnight openings.

10. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of cell phones ringing during a movie?
A decrease, actually. I think people are finally learning how to turn them off.

Yep.

Yes.

13. Do problems with the film (audio out of sync, projector out of focus, etc) happen often?
Not often. One time they left the house lights on and even after I complained they didn't turn them off.

No one would want to steal my lame car.

Yes.

I have no idea

Cheaper concessions. If they were reasonably priced, I'd spend money there. I'd also like a no babies rule.

18. Do you drive a considerable distance out of town in order to find a better theater?
No.

19. If you were moving to another town, how important is it for that town to have a nice theater? (Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very important).

Just about every weekend

99.5% of the time, yes

Here's a good story about our favorite theater: we went to a sneak preview of The Ring, and we got in line extra early so we could have our choice of seats. The dumb usher let the BACK of the line in first. Naturally, we did not get good seats and we were ticked off. But when we went to the manager after the show, he comped us without hesitation. Full refund and a handful of free passes. That's the kind of customer service that's all too rare these days.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As Martin said, you are curious about a lot of detail: Most of your questions assume that the respondent only attends one theater. I don’t think this is a very good presumption.

1.3–8 for the ones I normally attend. More for a few others
2.Dallas and the surrounding within a 30 minute drive has a lot. One within walking distance.
3.5 minutes for one 10 for others we attend.
4.I avoid those like the plague.
5.Yes
6.Average to small.
7.No, but the seats are very comfortable-in all that I attend but one.
8.No more so than any other venue that has a captive audience such as a sporting event. The bar in a couple of theatres is reasonable and one that also has a coffee shop and restaurant is quite reasonable.
9.$9–$10—but I never, never go to the movies on Friday night—same price for evening performance during the week and the price is reasonable. An even better deal for weekend matinees at $5.50.
10.No—no a problem for the movies I attend.
11.No—except for my fifth choice theatre—my first four do not.
12.Yes, very satisfied.
13.No—when they do they are normally corrected fairly quickly.
14.Yes
15.Yes, except for the first showing of the day.
16.I have no idea.
17.It could be next door.
18.No—my theaters of choice are all quite close—I don’t drive out of Dallas to find a better place.
20.Weekly, at least
No

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

3 within 10 minutes

5 mins

nope

Don't know, probably since they run the stupid ads :)

large

yes

oh yeah

9.50$ CDN. Not too bad conpaed to some places

Rarely happens here

A small one, yes

Yes

No

Yes

Always

No idea, too old for that and don't have kids

More arthouse flicks

no

3, I'll always have my home theather at worst

1-2 times a month

almost, unless the movie we want to see doesn't play there

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
1. 18
2. 3
3. 20 minutes
4. No
5. Yes
6. Large
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. $8.50, Yes
10. Yes
11. Yes
12. Yes
13. No
14. Yes
15. Yes
16. Yes
17. It could be closer
18. Yes
19. 10
20. Once every two weeks
21. Yes

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

3 minutes without traffic ;) (It's less than a mile away.)

Ocassionally. I've seen a few Midnight "opening" shows at my closest theater and there were a few pleasant goofballs having some fun.

Yes. I assumed that www.moviefone.com allowed all theaters to do this.

Average

The closest one does not. The four 'next closest' do. Therein seems to lie the difference between UA and AMC.

Yes. All the chain theaters do.

8.00...though I'm still youthful-looking enough to use my old student ID. :D

An increase in relation to when? Yes. I'd say I hear an average of 2 cell phone rings during any movie I go to see.

If three or four video games and a big spiraling gumball machine count as an arcade.

Depends on the movie... ;) But yeah; the projection is usually very good, the sound system is solid and the theater is cleaned frequently.

Rarely, but often enough to at least mention.

Yeah. Northeast Philadelphia is a pretty nice area.

Check? Like to see if it's for the right movie? Not really, no.

Errrmmm. Dunno! My hairline precludes me from ever being carded for anything. They do have a lot of those "we card" signs posted, so that's a good indication.

BIGGER SCREENS!

Well, not out of town. But the VERY close one (UA Grant 12) is the one we usually bypass in favor of the AMC Neshaminy 24. It's about 15 minutes away, but the sound system is MUCH better, the tickets are a bit cheaper, and the seats are considerably more comfortable.

Sheesh. A lot. Say four or five a week, but that includes press and promo screenings. This number varies wildly depending on what season it is.

Heck no. If I just gotta see something immediately, I go down the street to the Grant. If it's a family or group affair, we usually head to the Neshaminy or the Woodhaven or Franklin Mills. When I have early shows, I gotta head downtown to the Ritz Five, the Ritz East, or the UA Riverview. Once in a GREAT while I'll see screenings at the UA Main Street (in Manayunk) or the Loew's Cherry Hill (in New Jersey).

Hope those answers help.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/

1 -1. How many screens are in your local theater? (if multiple whats the biggest)

30 -2. How many theaters are in your area?

10 minute walk 3. How long is the drive to your theater?

Well the Castro has a huge drag following for "Valley of the Dolls" & Such4. Does your theater often have people who dress up for big releases like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

yes5. Does your theater allow advanced online ticket sales?

Large seats 1400; with Balcony and Wurlitzer that comes up from the stage6. Do you consider your theater small, average, or large?

Not invented in 1922 7. Does your theater have stadium seating?

no 8. Do you think your theater overcharges on food items?

$8 9. How much is it for a non discounted friday night ticket? Do you think this amount is too high?

No 10. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of cell phones ringing during a movie?

No 11. Does your theater have an arcade in the lobby?

Yes 12. Are you generally satisfied with your theater experience?

No 13. Do problems with the film (audio out of sync, projector out of focus, etc) happen often?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! What lot???

Once You are in - your in 15. Do they actually check your ticket stub?

Not really 16. Do they enforce the rating system (Do they card)?

Parking Lot would be great, the walk home is at a 45% angle up hill 17. If you could change one thing about your favorite theater what would it be?

There are none better18. Do you drive a considerable distance out of town in order to find a better theater?

As the song goes.... "there's no place to go - San Francisco" 19. If you were moving to another town, how important is it for that town to have a nice theater? (Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very important).

Not often, I like my own 20. How often do you go to the movies?

pretty much21. Do you always go to the same theater?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
1. How many screens are in your local theater? (if multiple whats the biggest) - 30 - AMC

2. How many theaters are in your area? Not in my immediete area, but about 4

3. How long is the drive to your theater? 10 minutes

4. Does your theater often have people who dress up for big releases like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars? Not that i know of

5. Does your theater allow advanced online ticket sales? Don't think so

6. Do you consider your theater small, average, or large? b/n average and large

7. Does your theater have stadium seating? Yes

8. Do you think your theater overcharges on food items? Hells yeah

9. How much is it for a non discounted friday night ticket? Do you think this amount is too high? About $10. It's much too high

10. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of cell phones ringing during a movie? Not really

11. Does your theater have an arcade in the lobby? Yes

12. Are you generally satisfied with your theater experience? Yeah, I guess so. I mainly just go with friends - it makes it much better

13. Do problems with the film (audio out of sync, projector out of focus, etc) happen often? Not too often

14. Do you feel your car is safe in the parking lot? Don't have one

15. Do they actually check your ticket stub? Yes

16. Do they enforce the rating system (Do they card)? Not often

17. If you could change one thing about your favorite theater what would it be? Lower Prices

18. Do you drive a considerable distance out of town in order to find a better theater? No

19. If you were moving to another town, how important is it for that town to have a nice theater? (Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very important). 5

20. How often do you go to the movies? About twice a month. not that often lately though

21. Do you always go to the same theater? No

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks